OT: - Tour of UConn with Teen | The Boneyard

OT: Tour of UConn with Teen

Reaction Score
I haven't been on campus in decades. I already know that it looks a LOT nicer. My wife and I are taking my son up for a tour of the school soon. I think we're going to get up a bit early before our tour and grab some lunch. My time at UConn would've had us eating at one of the bars (Huskies/Upper Deck?), Jonathon's or Taco Bell. We plan on hitting the Dairy Barn for some ice cream. What else would be a good place to check out? Food or otherwise for someone that hasn't been there in forever. If I get half the info that I now have about Connecticut College from this board, I'll be golden. I have a Blaze Pizza by me and no need to overhear any recruiting, so we can leave that one out.

Reaction Score
I haven't been on campus in decades. I already know that it looks a LOT nicer. My wife and I are taking my son up for a tour of the school soon. I think we're going to get up a bit early before our tour and grab some lunch. My time at UConn would've had us eating at one of the bars (Huskies/Upper Deck?), Jonathon's or Taco Bell. We plan on hitting the Dairy Barn for some ice cream. What else would be a good place to check out? Food or otherwise for someone that hasn't been there in forever.
Call to double check that they are back to full operations…

Reaction Score
I haven't been on campus in decades. I already know that it looks a LOT nicer. My wife and I are taking my son up for a tour of the school soon. I think we're going to get up a bit early before our tour and grab some lunch. My time at UConn would've had us eating at one of the bars (Huskies/Upper Deck?), Jonathon's or Taco Bell. We plan on hitting the Dairy Barn for some ice cream. What else would be a good place to check out? Food or otherwise for someone that hasn't been there in forever. If I get half the info that I now have about Connecticut College from this board, I'll be golden. I have a Blaze Pizza by me and no need to overhear any recruiting, so we can leave that one out.
I always seem to hit the Bidwell Tavern for wings when I'm up that way because nothing right on or around campus has really proven to be better.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Definitely Downtown Storrs:

This. A variety of food, coffee and my daughter misses the bubble tea place.

Reaction Score
Definitely Downtown Storrs:

There's a lot more there than I thought. Any restaurant of choice for lunch?

I always seem to hit the Bidwell Tavern for wings when I'm up that way because nothing right on or around campus has really proven to be better.
Yeah, if he gets in and wants to check out the area again we'd do some off campus stuff (Willington Pizza still good?). But I figure for this trip it's more about what it would be like as a freshman stuck on campus. Hitting UConn and a small liberal arts school or two in the same trip.

Reaction Score
i would recommend Dog Lane Cafe in downtown Storrs. Its got nice atmosphere and food is pretty good. Blaze pizza is also pretty good if you want to go that route. both places are within walking distance of everything on campus. Ted's is also ok, if you want to go old school

Reaction Score

Yeah, if he gets in and wants to check out the area again we'd do some off campus stuff (Willington Pizza still good?). But I figure for this trip it's more about what it would be like as a freshman stuck on campus. Hitting UConn and a small liberal arts school or two in the same trip.
Geno had some sort of Alfredo sauce pizza that @August_West and some others raved about. If his restaurant is still open you should check it out.

Reaction Score
Is Bidwell back up to its old standard? A lot of long time patrons have given up on it. Hopefully, it is good again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We were there more than five years ago and there were a lot fewer choices; we ate at Dog Lane and it was perfectly fine. I’d probably explore one of the other options next time, including some of the ethnic ones.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is Bidwell back up to its old standard? A lot of long time patrons have given up on it. Hopefully, it is good again.
I gave up on it a while ago after the wings were subpar on successive visits; and the service was really poor on the last one.

Willi Brew is a much better call imo.

Reaction Score
i would recommend Dog Lane Cafe in downtown Storrs. Its got nice atmosphere and food is pretty good.
If you want to stay on campus, I second this. Dog Lane Cafe is consistently solid.

If you’re willing to explore: my old reliables that make me feel like home are Willi Brew and Willington Pizza.

I also recommend checking out the lobby at The Graduate. They’ve done an excellent job there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Geno had some sort of Alfredo sauce pizza that @August_West and some others raved about. If his restaurant is still open you should check it out.
We went to Genos just before Covid shut everything down. (USF game), I don't think they ever reopened, but the food was good

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've lived in Storrs for 28 years and have eaten at all the restaurants here.

Glad to see Dog Lane getting recommended. The soup they make there is worth the visit by itself, but they do everything well. The owner also owns the Fenton River Grill in Mansfield Center which is of similar quality.

Sadly, Sally's Pockets closed during the pandemic. Big Welcome! Great Pleasure!

If you want wings, go to Red Rock on 44. Much closer to campus and better than Bidwell. Believe it.

Blaze Pizza is not worth the visit. Just my opinion.

If you want more exotic, Little Aladdin is the top choice. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, but they won me over.

I get the Willington Pizza nostalgia, but if that's your thing, eat it there. The pizza quality varies greatly with how busy they are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've lived in Storrs for 28 years and have eaten at all the restaurants here.

Glad to see Dog Lane getting recommended. The soup they make there is worth the visit by itself, but they do everything well. The owner also owns the Fenton River Grill in Mansfield Center which is of similar quality.

Sadly, Sally's Pockets closed during the pandemic. Big Welcome! Great Pleasure!

If you want wings, go to Red Rock on 44. Much closer to campus and better than Bidwell. Believe it.

Blaze Pizza is not worth the visit. Just my opinion.

If you want more exotic, Little Aladdin is the top choice. I'm a meat and potatoes guy, but they won me over.

I get the Willington Pizza nostalgia, but if that's your thing, eat it there. The pizza quality varies greatly with how busy they are.
Sara's Pockets closed in 2016 or 2017. Wally's Chicken Coop closed during the pandemic (RIP)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom