Tough time to find a coach | The Boneyard

Tough time to find a coach

Reaction Score
We need to do it.

But bit scary for ADs to name a coach with the FBI investigation and huge scandal about to blow.

Need to do alot of homework to make sure the guy you are about to hand the keys to the program to is not about to be stained, or even indicted.....

Reaction Score
Is it possible to go outside the D1 enviornment and check out coaches abroad? Then you do not need to worry about scandals. Although attracting some guy from another country to Uconn could be tough for a few reasons.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is it possible to go outside the D1 enviornment and check out coaches abroad? Then you do not need to worry about scandals. Although attracting some guy from another country to Uconn could be tough for a few reasons.

This has been done successfully zero times, and I can list many reasons why I don't think it ever will. Now is not the time to get cute.

Reaction Score

I mean they could but...why?

Reaction Score
Appreciate the out of the box thinking, but not sure an unknown, international coach would work in college

Reaction Score
This has been done successfully zero times, and I can list many reasons why I don't think it ever will. Now is not the time to get cute.
I am honestly not trying to be cute, I was really not sure! Has it been tried before? And it never worked as you say...well, I will trust you on that.

Why would Uconn do it? Honestly I have no idea, just attempted to think outside the box, but again, if it really has worked zero times, perhaps it really is not an option, at all.

Reaction Score
The FBI investigation will take years, it should hae no affect on our coaching search.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I am honestly not trying to be cute, I was really not sure! Has it been tried before? And it never worked as you say...well, I will trust you on that.

Why would Uconn do it? Honestly I have no idea, just attempted to think outside the box, but again, if it really has worked zero times, perhaps it really is not an option, at all.

Everything is on the table. Outside the box is a fair discussion.

Hell, I would even be open to bringing someone like Chief in, but I understand he already has dirt on him (maybe from the Bunkey files) so probably not a good choice for us.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Everything is on the table. Outside the box is a fair discussion.

Hell, I would even be open to bringing someone like Chief in, but I understand he already has dirt on him so probably not a good choice for us.

Unless it's a foreign coach who played college ball here, the entire concept of competitive, big-money university athletics is completely alien to him. He'd be going into recruiting/having to handle the AAU scene completely blind. Far too much risk, far too little upside.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unless it's a foreign coach who played college ball here, the entire concept of competitive, big-money university athletics is completely alien to him. He'd be going into recruiting/having to handle the AAU scene completely blind. Far too much risk, far too little upside.

Yep.

I think it’s a non-starter.

Zero contacts, a culture barrier....nah.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Not just that but given the current state fiscal situation a buyout wouldn't go over very big would it? Unless there are ways to have the money for that come from some other source? Is there an insurance policy against bad coaches? :p

Reaction Score
Not just that but given the current state fiscal situation a buyout wouldn't go over very big would it? Unless there are ways to have the money for that come from some other source? Is there an insurance policy against bad coaches? :p

Donors are that other source.

Reaction Score

Cause it would give us a huge advantage in international recruiting.

Reaction Score
How many $10 mill mistakes has state of CT made then paid? Somebody needs to do a cost/benefit analysis on this. There was a reason JC wasn't giving a dime back. He earned it and proved his revenue value.

Reaction Score

Maybe.....The Dove

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Mark Schmidt from the Bonnies. Very solid coach. Really the only question mark is could he recruit at this level.

Reaction Score
Juwan Howard...wasn’t he pretty much the main influencer to help bring together one of the greatest freshman classes of all time? Been with the NBA a while and even if he isn’t a great “Xs and Os” guy he could probably recruit like a mutha

Reaction Score
How about Jim Calhoun
For some reason, even an accomplished and beloved coach born during WW II might not be a viable alternative. Plus, the ol' happy wife, happy life factor may be a reasonable consideration. On the home front and possibly with a cardiologist, even the part-time, sort-of St. Joe's Div III coach situation is probably a reach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom