tOSU postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

tOSU postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gee, Bueckers has had two shots in the NCAA and came up short both times. And that is not a comment about her but rather, you and all the fans who insist she walks on water. The fact is TEAMS win and lose not individual players and this idea of singling out players just shows how utterly little many here know about team sports in general and basketball in particular.
It’s the same reason why Villanova lost and Iowa probably won’t win it all either — one player can’t do it all. They can do a LOT, but not ALL. It’s the reason why SC is so good this season.

Reaction Score
If you have the stomach for it, check out the stat sheet. The game was lost at the FT line. 23-30 vs 7-15. I get the TO number is outrageous but the delta there is 11 (bad but not 25 TO horrible).

The game was called loose in the backcourt and tight in the front court. We played the opposite (no aggression against the press and settled for jump shots). Flip that and it’s a different game.

Reaction Score
A very sad game
-outcoached...I always thought Kev was a dummy. -out hustled -out toughed
Lou was the only one who truly showed up.

teams learned a lot how to play us in the future
Too bad...lots of good players out there.
Looked like Geno thought he was a dummy,too. But he's paid millions to know better.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's tough dealing with relentless and effective full-court pressure when your best point guard (in ND's case, only) is sitting on the bench. I can attest to this, having watched Maryland press ND until a minute was left in the game.

I've seen Ohio State a lot this year (I have the B1G Network) and that press works even better with Eboni Walker in the lineup. And now that Jacy Sheldon is pretty much back on her game, they're humming, which I saw when they came back on Indiana.
Buzz-sawish.

That said, I think UConn lost a lot of the services of Aaliyah Edwards due to some, err, interesting foul calls (same for ND with Maddy Westbeld). However, all kudos to Lou and Dorka for keeping calm and playing on. Good luck to both of them at the next level.

Congrats to all the Huskies for a superb season under very, very difficult, untimely occurences. Everyone, from players and coaches, to staff and fans, should be proud of the efforts.

Reaction Score
I look forward to a healthy squad next year. This loss should fuel the returning players all summer. Pre season trip to get the team acclimated will pay off big time. I really enjoyed this team, not sure why folks are posting foolishness. The team feels far worse than we do I'm sure. Dorka and Lou good luck as you begin the next chapter and become professionals....you will be missed

Reaction Score
I'm hearing that wry ol sage Bill Parcell's in my ear...."that's why they play the game, that's why they play".......

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Two things killed us. Aaliyah in immediate foul trouble and not being on the floor and not being able to break the press. We lost composure and played afraid. Sometime it happens. Its nobodys fault. We needed somebody to step up like in the Baylor game. Nobody stepped up. Lou and Dorka were good. With all we've been through this season its amazin.

It really bothers me reading some of the posts in some of the thread knocking players and coaches. I know your frustrated but don take it out on our girls and coaches. Theyre frustrated just like you and it only makes it hurt more. Think about it. If your frustrated just like the rest of us go take it out on something but not our team.

JBK

Reaction Score
While I agree that Muhl is a net positive she is very turnover prone which haunts you against good teams.
Gee, Bueckers has had two shots in the NCAA and came up short both times. And that is not a comment about her but rather, you and all the fans who insist she walks on water. The fact is TEAMS win and lose not individual players and this idea of singling out players just shows how utterly little many here know about team sports in general and basketball in particular.
Did you watch the NC state game last year and Paige ( injured by the way ) carried them to the NC game not a sweet 16 loss . Phenomenal players make the entire “ team” better and are singled out in every sport.
She worked so hard in the off season to become so much stronger and would have made a huge difference in getting UConn to the finish line. I guess time will tell.
Why do you think we set the UConn record for the most turnovers this entire year.
Remember. We were “ somewhat” healthy today.

Reaction Score
not 100% surprised, did we forget this ohio st team started 19-0. The words also from ohio st saying "just another game" was not true, I'm sure some of the players wanted revenge on Dorka leaving them. And they played like a team who had to settle a score. Congrats to them they earned the win.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's tough dealing with relentless and effective full-court pressure when your best point guard (in ND's case, only) is sitting on the bench. I can attest to this, having watched Maryland press ND until a minute was left in the game.

I've seen Ohio State a lot this year (I have the B1G Network) and that press works even better with Eboni Walker in the lineup. And now that Jacy Sheldon is pretty much back on her game, they're humming, which I saw when they came back on Indiana.
Buzz-sawish.

That said, I think UConn lost a lot of the services of Aaliyah Edwards due to some, err, interesting foul calls (same for ND with Maddy Westbeld). However, all kudos to Lou and Dorka for keeping calm and playing on. Good luck to both of them at the next level.

Congrats to all the Huskies for a superb season under very, very difficult, untimely occurences. Everyone, from players and coaches, to staff and fans, should be proud of the efforts.
Back at you Dillon. It's hard to overcome losing your pg, if not your entire backcourt, as we both learned all too well this season. Let's hope that everyone is healthy next year when the Irish and Huskies meet on the hardwood.

Reaction Score
Dorka was very candid in the presser, it was refreshing to hear her acknowledge that they knew it was going to be a battle but did not respond as needed. Lou and Dorka have been wonderful and I will say it again. They will be missed...just a joy to watch

Reaction Score
Dribbling issues plagued us today, stopping too soon, making poor passes. Maybe some new talent next year will bring more assertive dribblers and passers.
I didn’t see one hard ball fake to get the defense off guard. Seemed as though every pass was telegraphed and people have to come to the ball, not allow the ball to come to them and put the defender on your hip

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*the Ohio St. was better and deserved to win.
*The refs sucked (what's new...it's WBB refs)...they feel again and again to flopping and whistled UConn to some real boarder line Fauls and didn't do the same against the Ohio St.
*for some reason UConn lost way too many of the 50/50 balls.
*basically only 2 players showed up for UConn. Lou was amazing! what a warrior! Dorka was good! unfortunately, everyone else just didn't play to Thier capabilities.
*The player that would have not been scared of the moment and taken the game on herself was unfortunately sitting on the bench and couldn't play.
*A disappointing game by Azzi. For some reason seemed nervous and struggled big time with her shooting (missing layups) and with decision making (which typically she is outstanding)
*Turnovers turnovers turnovers....the whole season it was a problem and came back to bite the Huskies big time in this game.
*while it is not Geno's fault that players miss free throws, can't hit lay ups and turn the ball over time and time again, it is on him that it seems the team was just not well prepared for this game.
*Nika: MUST MUST be able to hit the open 3 and develop some type of offense to have a future in the next level.
*we will really miss Lou and Dorka next season! they did everything in their power for the team.
*AE: what happened to her? she seemed shell shocked. Yes, she got some ridicules fouls called against her but she let it impact her.
*The tournament can be stopped, and the Championship given to South Carolina. With UConn out, there is no team left who can give SC a game.
*In many ways, UConn overachieved this season with all the injuries, but this loss is very disappointing. It's one things to play a good game and loss against a team that plays better on that day and it's another to lose in the way UConn lost today.
*It is going to be a long off season with the players needing to take a good look in the mirror, work hard and come back for next season as better players.
*Geno needs to figure out more ways to get players like Azzi (and hopefully Paige) better open looks.
*If Paige is close to 100% next season this team will look totally different and much much better and Azzi will be better with Paige getting her the ball. You could cheat off Nika. You can't cheat off Paige.

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay, I suggest a new drinking game. Every time an Ohio state player falls down, take a shot. I'll bet you don't make it to half time.
Or a UConn player? Both ways, my friend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I did not watch the whole game. I turned it off in the second quarter. Only twice in 10 years have I watched the whole game when Uconn lost. I admit that I am a bad loser. I can't help it. SO , see Y'all in November. Thanks to all the posters that commented on my posts. Enjoy the rest of the tourney as I can't watch it!
Me too. I could see where it was going. Ohio State's press was working. McGuff was going to keep it on the entire game, or until we proved we could break it. I figured if we won, I'd just watch the replay. I recorded it, but I won't watch it.

I commented in the chat room that McGuff showed the world today how to beat UConn. I'm pretty sure that will be something Geno will have the team work on once official practice begins again in mid-October.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I did not watch the whole game. I turned it off in the second quarter. Only twice in 10 years have I watched the whole game when Uconn lost. I admit that I am a bad loser. I can't help it. SO , see Y'all in November. Thanks to all the posters that commented on my posts. Enjoy the rest of the tourney as I can't watch it!
I know that feeling...

Reaction Score
The COACHING staff has a mountain of work to do to get ready for next season.
Not really, just be healthy and everything else will take care of itself. Simply put Paige would have handled the pressure easily and the whole game is different.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • This was a difficult game to watch. After UConn raced to a 10-2 lead forcing the Buckeyes to call timeout, the roof collapsed on the Huskies.
  • tOSU is a guard-oriented team that starts 5 players, who are all approximately 6’ tall, which is good if you’re pressing, creating turnovers and scoring in transition. That’s exactly what happened today against UConn who has struggled with the turnover bugaboo all season.
  • While turnovers were a big part of the problem, so too was the fact that UConn felt the pressure, was rushed on offense and took some really bad shots. With that said, UConn missed a bunch of wide-open looks and even struggled on the foul line.
  • Unfortunately, many UConn fans will get pretty ugly in their criticism of Geno and some of his players for this loss. I CHOOSE NOT TO. The Huskies overcame adversity and persevered all season long. The team feels far worse about today’s game than any of us could possibly feel.
  • tOSU clearly flopped whenever Aaliyah was in the same zip code. If the refs call it, it’s a successful strategy to take an AA player off the court.
  • As I watched Azzi struggle for much of the game, all I could think of was DT’s play her freshman year during the national semifinal. Just like DT, Azzi will be back with a chance at redemption.
  • Yes, If Paige was healthy, she changes the entire complexion of this game, singlehandedly. She makes all the right decisions against the press and settles down Azzi and her teammates.
  • Nobody wants to lose the last game of the season, and yet, just about every team in the country does. The loss today is disappointing for sure. But it should not obscure the overall success and perseverance of this UConn team.
  • Sincere thanks and best wishes in the future to Dorka & Lou, our two wonderful graduate transfers, who both played their hearts out today.
  • Finally, channeling my inner Brooklyn Dodger fan, “Wait til next year!” As of right now UConn’s 2023-24 roster looks incredibly strong: Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Ines, Amari, Ice, Jana, KK, Ashlynn & Qadence. How many days until next season starts?
I object to “t”OSU. They aren’t that special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom