tOSU postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

tOSU postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think Lou has a shot in the WNBA. Best of luck to her
The only player that was calm enough to make plays. Why did Azzi not take the open 3's that she had when we were behind? Dorka did not play well, but at least she tried. The rest of the team looked like they never played before, really embarrassing, but that's the way the season went. They deserve credit for making it this far, and maybe we all were a little too optimistic. Wait until next year, we will be back.

Reaction Score
The seniors played with some poise. Everyone else did not. I thought we would easily break the press, boy I was wrong on that one. very disappointed in the decision making but not the effort.

We had a size advantage that they used to their advantage. It was very disappointing that they seemed to get more points in the paint without playing any bigs. The don't post up at all, just drive to the basket against bigger players and try to draw a foul. They were good at doing that and we never adjusted, continuing to put them on the line.

They carried out their very different game-plan, and our preparation for their press obviously wasn't good enough. Also although we hoped they were back all the way, Azzi and Caroline never really got back to their previous form, although I was hoping maybe Caroline had turned the corner, but not for this game.

On to next year and hope we don't get any bad offseason injury news. Hopefully another year of experience will help for games like this, because today we did not look like an experienced team, a team with good poise, or one that could adjust to game conditions. It was sad to see three major streaks end in this injury plagued year, the near 30 year run without back to back losses, the Elite 8 streak, and the Final Four Streak. Those are all truly amazing and probably won't be approached for a very long time.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I could point to....

1. Free Throws 7-15
2. Turnovers 25
3. Fouls 20 to 15
4. Questionable calls on AE
5. One of Azzi's toughest games 6-17

But basically OSU punched us in Q2 and simply won the game in a 10-15 minute stretch. During that stretch we looked like a deer in headlights and simply fell apart. It looked like we had no idea what to do.

Hate to see Lou and Dorka go out this way. They we the only ones who didn't wilt and gave it their all. Good luck to both of them, they will be missed.

tOSU was the better team (and the aggressor) today and earned it. They brought more energy all game.
Geno summed it up perfectly.
"Everything we struggled with all season long showed up tonight."

Reaction Score
Dorka snd Lou were the only ones really on today. Best to each of them at the next level and so grateful for all the time they wore A Uconn uniform.

Today our guys didn’t come out with their usual confidence and fire and tOSU guys had a great game plan and executed it. Tough way for our great group of teammates to end an incredible season. Love them all and still very proud of all they accomplished!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • This was a difficult game to watch. After UConn raced to a 10-2 lead forcing the Buckeyes to call timeout, the roof collapsed on the Huskies.
  • tOSU is a guard-oriented team that starts 5 players, who are all approximately 6’ tall, which is good if you’re pressing, creating turnovers and scoring in transition. That’s exactly what happened today against UConn who has struggled with the turnover bugaboo all season.
  • While turnovers were a big part of the problem, so too was the fact that UConn felt the pressure, was rushed on offense and took some really bad shots. With that said, UConn missed a bunch of wide-open looks and even struggled on the foul line.
  • Unfortunately, many UConn fans will get pretty ugly in their criticism of Geno and some of his players for this loss. I CHOOSE NOT TO. The Huskies overcame adversity and persevered all season long. The team feels far worse about today’s game than any of us could possibly feel.
  • tOSU clearly flopped whenever Aaliyah was in the same zip code. If the refs call it, it’s a successful strategy to take an AA player off the court.
  • As I watched Azzi struggle for much of the game, all I could think of was DT’s play her freshman year during the national semifinal. Just like DT, Azzi will be back with a chance at redemption.
  • Yes, If Paige was healthy, she changes the entire complexion of this game, singlehandedly. She makes all the right decisions against the press and settles down Azzi and her teammates.
  • Nobody wants to lose the last game of the season, and yet, just about every team in the country does. The loss today is disappointing for sure. But it should not obscure the overall success and perseverance of this UConn team.
  • Sincere thanks and best wishes in the future to Dorka & Lou, our two wonderful graduate transfers, who both played their hearts out today.
  • Finally, channeling my inner Brooklyn Dodger fan, “Wait til next year!” As of right now UConn’s 2023-24 roster looks incredibly strong: Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Ines, Amari, Ice, Jana, KK, Ashlynn & Qadence. How many days until next season starts?
This is the time for Uconn fans to stand tall and support OUR TEAM. Meet them at Bradley. (do they still do that?)
A great game plan exceptionally executed with an assist from Whistles, is what usually ends a Uconn streak. Credit to Ohio State they saw the flaws and emphasized them.
I'm sorry for the entire team. They've been through everything possible this side of hell and won the Big East and made the Sweet 16. 4 weeks ago many "Uconn Fans" thought the Tourney was a probability. Geno, et al proved them wrong.
I surely hope Geno schedules home and homes of Ohio State next year. I doubt they will agree---it could be a serious beating.
Thank you Lou, Dorka, Ines, DeBerry, Nika, Edwards, Caroline, Azzi, Ayanna, --a terrible year, a fantastic year, a Uconn Year. Thank you all.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We had a real bad game. It happens. Kudos to tOSU.

Having spent my career in education, I am not going to blame or point fingers at any one. To blame is counter productive.

This team gave us an amazing ride considering all they had to deal with, including the expectations of winning it all. All the best to Lou and Dorka. You will forever be Huskies.

Reaction Score
Jezz - I need a strong pain pill to get over this game.

Feel really bad for the players.

Oh well the sun will come up soon.

If the men experience the same result then I doubt the sun rises.

Reaction Score
Head scratcher! Gotta say it looked like they were not expecting that press, but the coaches must have known. That's what OSU does. Yet they appeared to have no clue what to do in the 1st half. Marginally better in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Bad as they handled the press, ineffective as Fudd and Edwards were, etc, etc, they would have been in the game had they made just their usual percentage of foul shots.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
OSU"s press killed Tennessee at the start of the season. That same press prematurely ended UConn's season. It was amazing how tight UConn looked and how loose and free Ohio State was.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I truly believe we have a better team than OSU….just not today
Well, I didn't fiollowrthem, but they did start the season 19-0, and played in arguably the hardest conference. That being said, I don't see them winning the NC.

Reaction Score
Tip my hat to Ohio State. They went with their press, something they have done all season. They executed their game plan to the max. They beat us. To the squad. What a season. To deal with so much and overcome so much. I am proud of this team. Enjoy a few weeks off. Recharge the mind. Heal whatever body parts that are hurt or injured.

To Lou and Dorka. What more to say. I thank you ladies for blessing us. Lou, this season you were AWESOME!! You never know what a transfer play is going to do when they join a new team. You were impressive. Tough. Never afraid. Blended in well and was a spark to the team. Best of luck at the next level. I will be rooting for you. Hopefully you join Minnesota Lynx.

Dorka. Like Lou, you were AWESOME. These past two years, watching you play has been wonderful. Tough player that blended in well with the squad. Huge help over the years to the program. I wish you all the best at the next level.

Let this game fuel our fire for the summer. Let this game be that extra log on a fire that is already burning hot.

The Standard is The Standard! Drive for 12 begins, now.

Reaction Score
Dorka snd Lou were the only ones really on today. Best to each of them at the next level and so grateful for all the time they wore A Uconn uniform.

Today our guys didn’t come out with their usual confidence and fire and tOSU guys had a great game plan and executed it. Tough way for our great group of teammates to end an incredible season. Love them all!
The confidence waned with the first taste of the PRESS. But, they recovered. People that usually hit 90 percent of FT's missed them. Basketball is 60 percent physical, 20 percent training, and 20 percent mental. In the daze of the square ball we were told to "get into their heads" Ohio Stated did that. I wish Geno PRESSED them in the 3rd quarter. Pressing teams don't (usually) handle it well.

Reaction Score
Too slow on the perimeter. Nika, CD, and even Azzi have a hard time beating good defenders one on one, and so you rely on tough passes, which leads to turnovers.

On the other side, faster guards can beat these players off the dribble.

Unless this dynamic changes, it's going to be tough to win a title.

A healthy Paige will help with this, but it just can't be her. Hope the new recruits and possible transfers help because we need to get more athletic and faster.

Wish we had Lou for 4 years. Hope Lou and Dorka have success at the next level.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ohio UConned our UConn. 17-2 run! Feel terrible for the team. Final 4 string will last forever. Feel especially terrible for Lou and Dora. Please, please, please can we have a real UConn season next year and recapture The Prize.

Reaction Score
Not everyone has that killer attitude. Not everyone wants the ball in their hands to decide games. She might just be a complementary type player, and there is nothing wrong that.
I said this before, but I think she's closer to a KML type player than a Paige type player. She has a beautiful shot and can pile on the points quickly, but I don't think she'll ever be team leader or someone like Paige that can drag the team across the finish line. Those players are incredibly rare, and I don't think people realize how rare because we've been blessed with more of them than any other program.

Reaction Score
It is amazing the lack of basketball acumen by many here; so Muhl is going to be benched and Fudd is tentative all over ONE GAME. I have said many times here I root for Uconn but am no diehard, my mood certainly doesn’t rise and fall on the result of their games, or any game for that matter.
SO, with apologies to all the real fans here who are obviously disappointed but have a reasonably mature perspective about a GAME; this is rather to the “fans” who feel the need to come on a message board to disparage effort and commitment to young adults who gave their all all season. Those players know how they played and are hurting more than you will ever know because they are out there putting themselves on the line, not sitting behind an alias criticizing others; to you all I give a thunderous BOO, suggest you buy yourself a mirror, take a look at it and make a pledge to yourself to GROW UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom