tOSU postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

tOSU postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ohio State just flat outplayed us. It happens. This wasn't a nail bite - it was clear after the first quarter that a UConn win wasn't likely. If there is a lesson to be learned it is that nothing good happens when you turn the ball over well more than 20 times.

Lou showed up and went out in style. She needed help.

Reaction Score
First let’s give a ton of credit to tOSU. Today, they were the better team in every way. They set the pace from the beginning, made UConn look very un-UConn ish, and made their free throws which was a big part of the game. Congrats to them.

I love my Huskies but the turnovers, missed free throws and AE spending the bulk of the game on the bench with foul trouble, well they just need to be better and today they weren’t. Stinks but games can go that way at times. In the end everyone could have done better coaches included, and I think that’s fair to say.

What we really needed was 5 Lou’s on the floor. Would’ve won going away. What a great performance by her in her last game for us. I thought Dorka played well too. Good for the seniors coming with their best.

A long offseason awaits, always a long one after you lose the very last game. We have a lot of talent returning, a lot of talent coming in. Hopefully a very healthy Paige and Ice as well. All the team can do is learn from this, grow from this, and then let their play do the talking next year.

Have a great offseason fellow Boneyarder’s!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm in utter disbelief because I have never had the opportunity to miss a Huskies' Final Four since I discovered The UConn Huskies (WBB). :(
So now it's on to Softball and Tranfer Landing Announcement season.

Reaction Score
I could point to....

1. Free Throws 7-15
2. Turnovers 25
3. Fouls 20 to 15
4. Questionable calls on AE
5. One of Azzi's toughest games 6-17

But basically OSU punched us in Q2 and simply won the game in a 10-15 minute stretch. During that stretch we looked like a deer in headlights and simply fell apart. It looked like we had no idea what to do.

Hate to see Lou and Dorka go out this way. They we the only ones who didn't wilt and gave it their all. Good luck to both of them, they will be missed.

tOSU was the better team (and the aggressor) today and earned it. They brought more energy all game.

Reaction Score
Missed the 1st half because our power went out, had no idea it would extend to the Huskies.

25 Turnovers - completely unacceptable from a UConn team. Turnovers were a problem all year and it finally bit them in the backside.

Oh well. 8 months until the next version of the Huskies take the floor.

Reaction Score
Turnovers were always a problem, they finally caught up to us. Shoutout to Lou and Dorka who played with that sense of urgency. Will miss them moving forward.

I think the most important thing for the future of this program is to get 100% healthy. I hope the players enjoy the offseason, work on their skills, and come back with a new mindset.

A fitting end to this tough season. Congrats to OSU for executing their game plan.

Reaction Score
I was not able to watch the game until half way through the 4th quarter...I checked the score online first, which lead to shock. Mostly I feel bad for our players, as Old Dude said: they feel much worse about this loss than we do, but you can't turn the ball over 25 times and expect a good outcome. So many thanks to Lou and Dorka for being part of our Huskies family, we will miss them.
The only good thing here is another streak is broken (not a fun thing) so maybe we won't have to hear about it again (fat chance).
Next year looks great, but right now who really cares.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the tOSU game:
  • This was a difficult game to watch. After UConn raced to a 10-2 lead forcing the Buckeyes to call timeout, the roof collapsed on the Huskies.
  • tOSU is a guard-oriented team that starts 5 players, who are all approximately 6’ tall, which is good if you’re pressing, creating turnovers and scoring in transition. That’s exactly what happened today against UConn who has struggled with the turnover bugaboo all season.
  • While turnovers were a big part of the problem, so too was the fact that UConn felt the pressure, was rushed on offense and took some really bad shots. With that said, UConn missed a bunch of wide-open looks and even struggled on the foul line.
  • Unfortunately, many UConn fans will get pretty ugly in their criticism of Geno and some of his players for this loss. I CHOOSE NOT TO. The Huskies overcame adversity and persevered all season long. The team feels far worse about today’s game than any of us could possibly feel.
  • tOSU clearly flopped whenever Aaliyah was in the same zip code. If the refs call it, it’s a successful strategy to take an AA player off the court.
  • As I watched Azzi struggle for much of the game, all I could think of was DT’s play her freshman year during the national semifinal. Just like DT, Azzi will be back with a chance at redemption.
  • Yes, If Paige was healthy, she changes the entire complexion of this game, singlehandedly. She makes all the right decisions against the press and settles down Azzi and her teammates.
  • Nobody wants to lose the last game of the season, and yet, just about every team in the country does. The loss today is disappointing for sure. But it should not obscure the overall success and perseverance of this UConn team.
  • Sincere thanks and best wishes in the future to Dorka & Lou, our two wonderful graduate transfers, who both played their hearts out today.
  • Finally, channeling my inner Brooklyn Dodger fan, “Wait til next year!” As of right now UConn’s 2023-24 roster looks incredibly strong: Paige, Azzi, Nika, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Caroline, Ayanna, Ines, Amari, Ice, Jana, KK, Ashlynn & Qadence. How many days until next season starts?
Turnovers have been their nemesis all season but they were able to overcome them in most instances. Today they came back to haunt them and bite them in the you know what.

Reaction Score
Felt bad for Edwards. It's sad when the refs take you out of the game. 3 of the calls were questionable at the least.

Also, I love Geno, but either there was a scouting breakdown or player breakdown. Oh. St. players were going to the right all the time. Even when they'd initially go left, they would try to spin or crossover back to the right. When they went left, most of the time they weren't even interested in shooting.

I'm just praying for a healthy season next year for the team. They will be pretty special if that happens.

Reaction Score
I hate waiting till next year. Sucks!!!!
I pray that everyone heals, no one gets hurt this summer and we dominate next year. We need an experienced Big (6’ 5” or taller) for next year from the portal. Just thinking ahead before another let down happens next year.

With all that said, definitely proud of the team and what they overcame this year.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Hats off to Ohio State for their moving on. Also hats off to our two seniors Lou and Dorka. They tried so hard to get this team to the next round, and played with the urgency needed to win.

Reaction Score
I'll keep it positive. UConn doesn't get moral victories but I'm super proud of the players this year. They played the whole year without their best player and top recruit, our second best player Azzi missed nearly 2 months, a key rotation piece Ducharme missed nearly 2 months and frankly never really looked the same after coming back, and they still finished top 10 and made it to the Sweet 16.

Thank you and best of luck playing professionally Lou and Dorka. Even though they spent most of their careers outside of Storrs, they are Huskies forever.

Aaliyah showed that she can be one of the best players in the country. Nika Muhl showed (again) that she is one of the best defensive players in the country and a great floor general. Azzi showed that when she's on, she can be unstoppable.

There are plenty of things to criticize about today's performance, and the issues that plagued us all year, but you won't hear it from me.

Let's get healthy, reload, and win it all next year.

Reaction Score
Far to many TOs, cold shooting, OSU outplayed the Huskies. Heartbreaking that it ended this way, but this just wasn't their year.

Thank you Lou and Dorka, it's been fun watching you this season (Dorka last season as well). Lou saved our season when it looked like things were going the wrong way.
I sure wish Lou was coming back. She sure saved our bacon this season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ohio State played like a team possessed and UConn struggled to handle how physical they were. I think Geno saw this coming. UConn played tentatively and a step or 2 slow. Players were open and the passes were late. Lou was terrific and everyone else not so much. Aliyah never quite recovered from the foul trouble but she didn't look right from the start.

Weird game for Azzi. Didn't look confident and passed up several open shots. No alpha on the court today. The only one capable of that was on the bench in sweats.

A lot to digest and on to next year.

Reaction Score
Wish Azzi would not have gotten gun shy in the 4th qtr. She passed up so many shots you would never see she passed up before. Win or lose you need to go down swinging. She definitely does not have the same killer instinct as Paige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom