Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Toscano Family Ice Forum Impressions

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hey, I can think of one way to open more seats up currently used by season ticket holders: keep playing like they did tonight.

Reaction Score
I finally got to my first game at Toscano last night and figured I’d post here to perpetuate the disappointment. I basically share similar opinions to most of you that have posted about it above. I thought that it was a nice facility but that can be attributed to how new it is. It really is a nice building. I’m sure the athletes experience far more benefits than what meets the eyes of the average fan.

It’s just very underwhelming. I didn’t walk through the doors there and think “this is where a national championship team plays.” It just didn’t have that feel to it. It felt small, like it was doing Hockey East a disservice. Being from Sault Ste Marie, my wife’s first comment when we entered the game was “this place is smaller than where the Greyhounds play…much smaller.” Not saying that comparing NCAA to major junior is apples to apples, but there are several NCAA facilities that outshine major junior, several of which play in Hockey East.

Maybe it was because of UNH’s efforts, but the intimate “atmosphere” that was promised by UConn brass did not deliver. Yes it was intimate, but the fans were non existent, including the students. People just sat and watched. That will hopefully change with higher team production.

I can’t comment on concessions cause my wife and I ate dinner before we got there so neither of us got anything, but they seemed relatively generic, as you’d expect in your average arena.

Overall, it felt sparkly new and clean, but what’s that going to be like in 5 years from now? This building would be a very nice arena in the USHL, but not Hockey East. I will definitely go back to support the program, and the drive to storrs is easier than it is to Hartford for me. At least the team has an arena that’s out of Hartford and better than Freitas.

Reaction Score
I finally got to my first game at Toscano last night and figured I’d post here to perpetuate the disappointment. I basically share similar opinions to most of you that have posted about it above. I thought that it was a nice facility but that can be attributed to how new it is. It really is a nice building. I’m sure the athletes experience far more benefits than what meets the eyes of the average fan.

It’s just very underwhelming. I didn’t walk through the doors there and think “this is where a national championship team plays.” It just didn’t have that feel to it. It felt small, like it was doing Hockey East a disservice. Being from Sault Ste Marie, my wife’s first comment when we entered the game was “this place is smaller than where the Greyhounds play…much smaller.” Not saying that comparing NCAA to major junior is apples to apples, but there are several NCAA facilities that outshine major junior, several of which play in Hockey East.

Maybe it was because of UNH’s efforts, but the intimate “atmosphere” that was promised by UConn brass did not deliver. Yes it was intimate, but the fans were non existent, including the students. People just sat and watched. That will hopefully change with higher team production.

I can’t comment on concessions cause my wife and I ate dinner before we got there so neither of us got anything, but they seemed relatively generic, as you’d expect in your average arena.

Overall, it felt sparkly new and clean, but what’s that going to be like in 5 years from now? This building would be a very nice arena in the USHL, but not Hockey East. I will definitely go back to support the program, and the drive to storrs is easier than it is to Hartford for me. At least the team has an arena that’s out of Hartford and better than Freitas.

Astute observations here. UConn really had a mandate and opportunity to make hockey an asset to the athletic program and experience for fans. The early days of the XL were terrific and raucous with well attended crowds. Even the game production with neat clips played on the jumbotron were better and then all was abandoned when COVID hit. The venue was designed by a local firm with no experience who decided to implement too many odd features by committee rather than go for simple and effective and it shows. Even the lines on the ice look fuzzed out and faded alreday…

The question here is what happens next?. It seems like UConn is content with having their heads buried in sand and say everything is wonderful, but it would be reassuring if the arrogance of the athletic department were to for once fall on its sword, recognize that their design experiment is not working, and say to fans that they are listening and will study options to implement and improve the experience over a time table of 3-5 years . I mean at least give those of us who have and would like to continue supporting the program some hope that things will be taken care of in the future,

Reaction Score
The question here is what happens next?. It seems like UConn is content with having their heads buried in sand and say everything is wonderful,
Coach talks about some improvements that are needed @ the 19:15 mark:

Reaction Score
Coach talks about some improvements that are needed @ the 19:15 mark:

Thanks for posting. It’s an interesting take, and I agree with what Cavs had to say about the venue for the most part. Quite obviously the number one priority was creating a top notch facility for the players. It seems they have succeeded there.

His take on the fan experience isn’t as minor as he‘d like to let on, but he’s very cautious with his comments. The sightlines would be ok if there wasn’t so much tall glass too look through at odd places. He doesn’t mention the value of a contiguous bowl being a requirement ins a small place like the TFIF. There are too many broken spots due to tall bench and Penalty rooms (too big to call a box) and the ice level lounge break up the continuity that helps generate a cohesive atmosphere. It would certainly help if all seats were legit filled. Maybe that was the case for the student only game vs Alaska last year, but with swaths of seats empty the vibe is significantly depressed and lackluster - despite what Cavs says about the volume of the place (unless he means the PA system that is too damn loud all the time) . The seat thing is an issue for ticketing to figure out and I have no solution there other than reducing season ticket packages or only offer them for half a season, and open up the box office for at least 500 seats per game.

Reaction Score
What dimension are you living in?
The 4th. However, every game I watch, the broadcasters and guests rave about the facility. On television the rink looks beautiful. The kids on the team and the coaching staff seem to love it. They say it is a first rate facility. I would tend to believe the players and staff. I get the impression that it is just the “boneyarders” nature to complain about everything. I suspect that is the case.

Reaction Score
The 4th. However, every game I watch, the broadcasters and guests rave about the facility. On television the rink looks beautiful. The kids on the team and the coaching staff seem to love it. They say it is a first rate facility. I would tend to believe the players and staff. I get the impression that it is just the “boneyarders” nature to complain about everything. I suspect that is the case.
You’re completely off base and wrong here about Bonyard comments Regarding this topic. The rave reviews you’re hearing are company line marketing propaganda. Seriously have you actually seen a game at Suctano? The fan experience is subpar and unfortunately the arena/barn piece doesn’t have an atmosphere due to design flaws and too many empty seats.

The rink doesn’t look good on TV either, The swaths of empty seats given the small size of a “sold out” arena don’t help, but the tall shower stall white paneling behind the benches are ridiculous, and even the painted lines are faded like they mixed in Vanilla Dairy Bar ice cream in with the water. When someone on the near side leaves the rink the block the camera because they are positioned too low.

Rather than reiterate comments from people who are required to be careful with their words, go to a game in person and then give us your impressions. We’d be curious to hear them.

Reaction Score
You’re completely off base and wrong here about Bonyard comments Regarding this topic. The rave reviews you’re hearing are company line marketing propaganda. Seriously have you actually seen a game at Suctano? The fan experience is subpar and unfortunately the arena/barn piece doesn’t have an atmosphere due to design flaws and too many empty seats.

The rink doesn’t look good on TV either, The swaths of empty seats given the small size of a “sold out” arena don’t help, but the tall shower stall white paneling behind the benches are ridiculous, and even the painted lines are faded like they mixed in Vanilla Dairy Bar ice creami have been to a Han in with the water. When someone on the near side leaves the rink the block the camera because they are positioned too low.

Rather than reiterate comments from people who are required to be careful with their words, go to a game in person and then give us your impressions. We’d be curious to hear them.
I have been to 5 or six games at Toscano. I think it is a great place to watch a game. I find much of the criticism to be ill founded.

Reaction Score
I have been to 5 or six games at Toscano. I think it is a great place to watch a game. I find much of the criticism to be ill founded.
That’s a fair opinion, at least in terms of just watching a game. There are a few seats in the arena that are actually ok. However, what was your impression of the atmosphere in the arena?

Have you been to other college hockey venues, and how does it compare? While the place is bright and shiny, Tuscano lacks the energy of other arenas, and a lot of that has to so with horrible design choices, and that can’t be denied.

Some problems are related to empty seats, but there also needs to be a core of student leaders that can organize their section and pump some juice into the game and support their team. First, move the band away from their prime spot - they are good but are a break in the student section and should be up above where the student deck is. Let student fans take over with signs and banners and make some noise. I’ve mostly witnessed students in hoodies with hands in their pockets and it contributes to the disappointing Dead Zone vibe to the place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It has very little to do with the inside dynamics of the building.
True, but some of the design choices exacerbate the problem.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
It has very little to do with the inside dynamics of the building.
Oh, I agree. But what is it? Laziness? If you aren’t going to use them, don’t buy them. The seats next to me have been empty since the first game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh, I agree. But what is it? Laziness? If you aren’t going to use them, don’t buy them. The seats next to me have been empty since the first game.
I'm inclined to think that they're doing it to support the team. Still, I wish there was a better mechanism to donate them back to the school on a game by game basis.

Reaction Score
Convenience.

It would be interesting to see if the corresponding Season ticket holders seats @ XL have butts in them for most games.

Reaction Score
If they won consistently we would watch them on a frozen pond...

However, the tall table lounge is a farce!

Winning consistently is helpful, especially winning those big games, but the promise of a small venue was that it was going to be sold out each game and the interpretation of that to many of us was that the place would be packed and rocking. Poor and overthought design choices and the lackluster effort of fans and Season ticket holders who just don’t show have sucked the life out of a place that could have been great despite being undersized.

UConn built A terrific facility for its players. They don’t need reconstruction or improvements there. But they will need to focus on the fan experience and figure out how to being.

I wonder what the mix of games will be at the XL next season. I’m hoping for at least 6.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holder at both Toscano and XL center. We have a group of 5 sharing 3 tickets, so our tickets are almost always used. Regarding Toscano: I agree more consistent winning would fill more seats. The facility just seems so stark. Food choices are limited and boring. Also, why is it so bright. Maybe I shouldn't have had that cataract surgery. Parking is tough too. Apparently, we didn't have enough points for parking at Toscano, so we park in the lot behind the soccer field for $15.00 and walk about 5 minutes to the rink. Why no shuttles to make the hike a little easier, especially when it's pretty cold some night. I pay $10.00 for LAZ parking at the XL and the walk is under a minute. I've attended many UConn sporting events over the last 50 years, and will continue too, but I frequently think there isn't much thought given by the Athletic department about the average fan's experience.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Winning consistently is helpful, especially winning those big games, but the promise of a small venue was that it was going to be sold out each game and the interpretation of that to many of us was that the place would be packed and rocking. Poor and overthought design choices and the lackluster effort of fans and Season ticket holders who just don’t show have sucked the life out of a place that could have been great despite being undersized.

UConn built A terrific facility for its players. They don’t need reconstruction or improvements there. But they will need to focus on the fan experience and figure out how to being.

I wonder what the mix of games will be at the XL next season. I’m hoping for at least 6.
XL is a better venue for the fans and program.

Reaction Score
Do the tables behind the boards @ XL bother you as much? Serious question - no snark intended.

(It is a very fair question because I know I am capable of dead horse abuse...)

I don't care for the tall tables at XLC, but they don't really diminish seating quality or capacity. I think they are stupid, but tolerable at XLC. (You're there to watch a hockey game - not to have a business meeting with your banker or CPA or to flirt with your would-be wife or husband!) At Toscano, they gouged out about what could have been additional 125 + or - very good seats behind the net. Many purists prefer a behind the net perspective anyways. Importantly, when you are dealing with a 2691 capacity at Toscano; every seat is important. We don't have that problem at XLC since the lower tier holds about 7,000 or 8,000. You can fit such a dubious attraction in the current confines of XLC w/o much difficulty.

Further, if you've been to some other similar sized (or larger) arenas - they don't waste the space on a tall table lounge where you can comfortably sit maybe 25 fans. (beyond that you have have sight line problems.) Please check out any of the following arenas in HE, AH or the ECAC - QU, Sacred Heart (Matire Family Arena - capacity 3600, built in the same time frame as Toscano for $70m also!), Harvard, UNH, BC, BU, Cornell, UVM etc. Simply put, there would be a more good seating available without the unneeded novelty of such an add-on. Please note that all of the arenas I've mentioned have, in varying amounts, larger capacities than Toscano.

Reaction Score
(It is a very fair question because I know I am capable of dead horse abuse...)

I don't care for the tall tables at XLC, but they don't really diminish seating quality or capacity. I think they are stupid, but tolerable at XLC. (You're there to watch a hockey game - not to have a business meeting with your banker or CPA or to flirt with your would-be wife or husband!) At Toscano, they gouged out about what could have been additional 125 + or - very good seats behind the net. Many purists prefer a behind the net perspective anyways. Importantly, when you are dealing with a 2691 capacity at Toscano; every seat is important. We don't have that problem at XLC since the lower tier holds about 7,000 or 8,000. You can fit such a dubious attraction in the current confines of XLC w/o much difficulty.

Further, if you've been to some other similar sized (or larger) arenas - they don't waste the space on a tall table lounge where you can comfortably sit maybe 25 fans. (beyond that you have have sight line problems.) Please check out any of the following arenas in HE, AH or the ECAC - QU, Sacred Heart (Matire Family Arena - capacity 3600, built in the same time frame as Toscano for $70m also!), Harvard, UNH, BC, BU, Cornell, UVM etc. Simply put, there would be a more good seating available without the unneeded novelty of such an add-on. Please note that all of the arenas I've mentioned have, in varying amounts, larger capacities than Toscano.
Nicely put. Not only are those arenas larger, they’re twice as large. Agganis being nearly three times the size of Toscano (6,300 but expandable to 7,200)

Reaction Score
Why was having a Schneider Arena so tough?

Good point! Initial Schneider Arena built 50 years ago at a cost of $1.8m! >3000 capacity.

Apples to apples is really the Matire Family Arena at Sacred Heart. Nice facility built at same cost as Toscano, with 900+ more capacity and nary a tall table to be found... Perhaps no coincidence - the architect for the Sacred Heart Arena designs (you guessed it!) smaller capacity hockey arenas nationwide. Take a look at it - pretty damn nice for Atlantic Hockey at the same cost as Toscano!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom