Toronto game on 12/20 | The Boneyard

Toronto game on 12/20

Reaction Score
Anyone going to the game in Toronto on 12/20? Is there a UConn bar in Toronto anyone aware of and/or a section that mostly UConn fans will be in?

Reaction Score
Probably a dumb question, but does this game count against their record since it’s a foreign game?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Probably a dumb question, but does this game count against their record since it’s a foreign game?
The stats from the game are included but the game doesn’t count towards the NET rankings used by the Selection Committee when seeding teams. It’s also included in the win-loss record. Geno spoke about this in the Louisville pregame availability

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I was in Toronto for a UConn sporting event I went to Jack Astor's. It's all I got, sorry.

Reaction Score
Anyone going to the game in Toronto on 12/20? Is there a UConn bar in Toronto anyone aware of and/or a section that mostly UConn fans will be in?

Close to the bench is the best option.

Reaction Score

It is very common that when a D1 team plays a lower level team that the D1 team counts it as an official game, but the lower level team counts it as an exhibition game. Perfectly legal under NCAA rules and very common. And that is the case with this game.

Reaction Score
It may not be a UConn bar, however Mick E Fynn's may be an option. It's right across the street from Mattamy Centre. Good food and service. During the Globl Jam event during the summer, I saw a lot fans from Kentucky hanging out there between the men's team's games.

No idea about where UConn fans will be seated inside. Honestly, if UConn fans don't outnumber TMU fans, I'd be surprised.

Reaction Score
Why would there be a UConn bar in Toronto?

Don't underestimate Canadians and their loyalties to NCAA programs. Some of the alumni networks for NCAA schools I've come across over the years has been an eye opener.

Toronto have their fair share of backer clubs and bars for various teams (NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc.). Not to mention, US citizens who have moved to Canada for work or other reasons.

Reaction Score
Toronto is one of my all-time favorite cities. If you are going to the game, just wander around the downtown core. It's safe, the subway system is extensive, and you have the favorable exchange rate to the $US. Great restaurants, great nightlife, very culturally diverse and Canadians are notoriously friendly. Get yourself some Tim Hortons coffee.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how this university program and its league stacks up internationally? Canada produces some excellent talent, and does well on the world stage. But do all of their athletes have to come to the US to train? Or is it like Europe, which has channels for top talent to develop? I know nothing about the Canadian system. But very curious.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how this university program and its league stacks up internationally? Canada produces some excellent talent, and does well on the world stage. But do all of their athletes have to come to the US to train? Or is it like Europe, which has channels for top talent to develop? I know nothing about the Canadian system. But very curious.

1). It's really challenging to provide a comparison of USports that would seem fair. The top programs like TMU, Carleton University, Queen's University and University of Saskatchewan could be seen as similar to mid to high majors in NCAA. Others could be seen as high level DII, etc. The gaps are much wider because the budgets for these schools are no where near what you see in the US. They also do attract international scouts as many USport players end up having pro careers overseas.

2). Canada Basketball does have a development stream where they work with their provincial counterparts to identify the next generation. They also work with the coaches of these players to make sure they're in alignment. Through various development, assessment camps and the annual National championship, they keep tabs on players for national teams (U16 - U23). This process has been in place for well over a decade and is how players like Aaliyah, Kia and others competing for the SWNT end up with the team.

3). Regarding training, this is a hard question to answer because it all depends. Where I live in Ontario, a league called the OSBA was created to help keep kids in Canada to train and get better. That's what Aaliyah did along with players like Leticia Amihere, Merrisah Russell, Cassandre Prosper, and many others in the NCAA.

Others have opted to attend school in the US. The decision to do this depends on costs, scholarships, etc. Some believe playing in the US is better, personally I'm not one of them. It's a matter of fit and what's best for that player and their family.

Reaction Score
Yes it's on FS2.

If you have Youtube TV, you have to specifically record this game. It looks like it isn't being automatically recorded if you have YTTV set to record all UCONN Women's Basketball games.

Reaction Score
Just a heads up for direct tv subscribers FS2 is channel 618 and it is showing the game at 6pm.

Reaction Score
1). It's really challenging to provide a comparison of USports that would seem fair. The top programs like TMU, Carleton University, Queen's University and University of Saskatchewan could be seen as similar to mid to high majors in NCAA. Others could be seen as high level DII, etc. The gaps are much wider because the budgets for these schools are no where near what you see in the US. They also do attract international scouts as many USport players end up having pro careers overseas.

2). Canada Basketball does have a development stream where they work with their provincial counterparts to identify the next generation. They also work with the coaches of these players to make sure they're in alignment. Through various development, assessment camps and the annual National championship, they keep tabs on players for national teams (U16 - U23). This process has been in place for well over a decade and is how players like Aaliyah, Kia and others competing for the SWNT end up with the team.

3). Regarding training, this is a hard question to answer because it all depends. Where I live in Ontario, a league called the OSBA was created to help keep kids in Canada to train and get better. That's what Aaliyah did along with players like Leticia Amihere, Merrisah Russell, Cassandre Prosper, and many others in the NCAA.

Others have opted to attend school in the US. The decision to do this depends on costs, scholarships, etc. Some believe playing in the US is better, personally I'm not one of them. It's a matter of fit and what's best for that player and their family.
Lived near Detroit for 10 years and wife worked with several Canadians whose children took part in many of the sports development programs that you reference. You provided a great summary. Was told that after Kia Nurse's success that a few of the basketball programs began to see more financial support, but as you stated, it was coming from a relatively low base.

Reaction Score
Does fox sports app show replays after the game? I have a staff holiday party but want to watch it when I get home. Forgot to set it to record.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate Canadians and their loyalties to NCAA programs. Some of the alumni networks for NCAA schools I've come across over the years has been an eye opener.

Toronto have their fair share of backer clubs and bars for various teams (NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc.). Not to mention, US citizens who have moved to Canada for work or other reasons.

Reaction Score
Yes, many Uconn fans in T.O. - But the majority will be related to AE. - There are bars close by to MLG - They will be filled with fans

Reaction Score
This link should at least provide stats if you can't watch it.

Reaction Score
Great questions. It is always good to learn about new programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom