torn meniscus, surgery or no surgery? | The Boneyard

torn meniscus, surgery or no surgery?

Reaction Score
I am agonizing over whether to have a debridement or removal of the torn material from what the MRI shows as a complex tear.

The ortho is leaving the decision up to me. He says plenty of people my age have one and it can just be a part of life. I can walk okay without a lot of pain , but feel some tightness and pulling. He says the size of the tear has nothing to do with having or not having surgery. He says it depends on whether I can deal with the symptoms or not.

I am in the 70's so, if any of you (most of you are a lot younger, I am sure) either had the procedure or have a parent who had one, did the surgery result in less pain and tightness , and better walking, or did you or they, just decide to not have the surgery and are none the worse for it?

Reaction Score
Only one story, but my dad tore his meniscus at maybe 68 and had surgery. He's 74 (I think) now and still very active. Hikes every week, skis all winter, etc. He was always an athlete and knew he didn't want to give up any mobility. Says he has almost no tightness, and on pain at all any more.

I'm by no means a medical professional, but I think one question to ask yourself would be how active do you expect to be in the rest of your 70s and 80s?

Reaction Score
After tearing my PCL, I began shredding my meniscus about 10 years later. I’ve had it repaired twice & removed twice. I’ve found that the repairs never really took & having it removed got me back on the court faster. I was in my 30’s when I had those procedures.

I’m sure I’m due another round & I would definitely do with removal again. You should be back up & walking right away. The repair requires some immobilization for awhile to let the meniscus heal.

Best of luck!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remain amazed that people turn to to us, a group that has spent over a decade trying to decide their favorite pizza, for medical advice.

I would just burn some sage near your knee. It will purify it or drive out the negative energy - I guess both would do it.

Reaction Score
I am agonizing over whether to have a debridement or removal of the torn material from what the MRI shows as a complex tear.

The ortho is leaving the decision up to me. He says plenty of people my age have one and it can just be a part of life. I can walk okay without a lot of pain , but feel some tightness and pulling. He says the size of the tear has nothing to do with having or not having surgery. He says it depends on whether I can deal with the symptoms or not.

I am in the 70's so, if any of you (most of you are a lot younger, I am sure) either had the procedure or have a parent who had one, did the surgery result in less pain and tightness , and better walking, or did you or they, just decide to not have the surgery and are none the worse for it?
surgery, will only get worse without it

Reaction Score
I remain amazed that people turn to to us, a group that has over a decade trying to decide their favorite pizza, for medical advice.

I would just burn some sage near your knee. It will purify it or drive out the negative energy - I guess both would do it.

I understand that Pepe’s is offering a free pie with each meniscus repair. That a great deal!

Reaction Score
I remain amazed that people turn to to us, a group that has over a decade trying to decide their favorite pizza, for medical advice.
Deciding who makes the best pizza is a very difficult task which should not be easily dismissed. The options are endless. The subtleties can only be detected by the most discerning.

I would not accept medical advise from anyone who cannot decide which is their favorite pizza.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Have had a few torn meniscus procedures - 1 on each knee. The procedure is not very invasive and the recovery time is not long or terribly painful. No physical therapy. Think I was off my feet for like 3-4 days. Definitely noticed a big difference once I was fully recovered (3-4 weeks)… definitely worth it

Reaction Score

Dan Hurley may be available for this.

Reaction Score
Not a doctor but I've had knee surgeries. In most cases, repairing a meniscus usually means removing some of it and often puts you that much closer to a knee replacement. However, it does generally provide some temporary relief. Also, Max's Pizza in Bristol is pretty good. Not for surgery, only for pizza.

Reaction Score
My father tore his a few years ago, he’s 75 now and didn’t get surgery, still plays golf regularly and is ok but isn’t hiking or running or anything

Reaction Score
The decision to have surgery should also be based on comorbid factors, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, metabolic conditions, which may increase the risk of surgery. If you have none of these, then a great surgeon may be able to help you. Have you considered however, alternatives, like platelet rich plasma injections? There is some evidence that they may be helpful and you can avoid surgery. Perhaps your orthopod can consider such, although I personally am somewhat skeptical. I am in the same age range as you, and I have had a torn meniscus for decades. I wear a knee brace when I am doing household chores that put a strain on my knee and it seems to help. I do not jog, or play sports any longer. You did not mention also how long you have had the tear. If recent, then rest, ice, compression, and elevation may be helpful for healing as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Deciding who makes the best pizza is a very difficult task which should not be easily dismissed. The options are endless. The subtleties can only be detected by the most discerning.

I would not accept medical advise from anyone who cannot decide which is their favorite pizza.
Conversely I would've never except pizza advice from someone who had their knee repaired.

(For what it's worth, my wife had a Rady meniscus in the doctor offered to go in arthroscopically and trim it up. While he was in there he noticed some arthritis and "scraped it". My wife and a considerable pain after the procedure and loss mobility for sometime. Now, a couple years later, she doesn't complain about it, but a thank it continues to be uncomfortable for her. That only has minimal relevance to your situation, though. I would get a second opinion and go to the best ortho in your area if you decide to get the procedure.)

Reaction Score
The decision to have surgery should also be based on comorbid factors, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, metabolic conditions, which may increase the risk of surgery. If you have none of these, then a great surgeon may be able to help you. Have you considered however, alternatives, like platelet rich plasma injections? There is some evidence that they may be helpful and you can avoid surgery. Perhaps your orthopod can consider such, although I personally am somewhat skeptical. I am in the same age range as you, and I have had a torn meniscus for decades. I wear a knee brace when I am doing household chores that put a strain on my knee and it seems to help. I do not jog, or play sports any longer. You did not mention also how long you have had the tear. If recent, then rest, ice, compression, and elevation may be helpful for healing as well.
I have had the tear for maybe 1 year, and PT did not help much.

However, I use an upright exercise bike at home, and the pain is less than it was when I completed PT 5 months ago along with the suggested knee exercises.
Not too much pain riding the exercise bike. I cannot ride an outdoor bike because of arthritic shoulders.

I wear a knee brace when I walk outdoors and when I am on the exercise bike. I don't think I have any of the comorbidities listed above. The ortho did not suggest plasma injections , and I am not too keen on them anyway.

The ortho did mention the slight risk of infection that surgery poses. The surgery would not be considered a meniscal repair, but a removal of the material in the torn area, and the procedure is called a debridement.

I am not an athlete and never was. I do like to walk outdoors and would like a reduction in the tightness (though it is not unbearable). I had done some aqua exercises which helped a bit.

Thanks for your input and suggestions. By nature, I tend to agonize over making decisions in general.

Reaction Score

I tore my meniscus many years ago and by the time I saw a surgeon (5 years) it was shredded and the only option was to remove It. I’ve had no meniscus for 15 years. Not painful but difficult to get up from a squat and use stairs/ladder. No push off, cannot jump over a dime or run. I play pickleball without issue. That said, I would suggest you get it repaired as much as they can before it gets worse and the decision is made for you. Doing nothing is a decision.

Reaction Score
I tore my meniscus many years ago and by the time I saw a surgeon (5 years) it was shredded and the only option was to remove It. I’ve had no meniscus for 15 years. Not painful but difficult to get up from a squat and use stairs/ladder. No push off, cannot jump over a dime or run. I play pickleball without issue. That said, I would suggest you get it repaired as much as they can before it gets worse and the decision is made for you. Doing nothing is a decision.
The ortho said he didn't feel that the meniscus would get worse if I didn't have the surgery. He said he has had a torn meniscus for years and he runs on it without any problems.

I respect him for not pushing me in any direction, but I would like to not feel the pull or tug (both slight) when I try to power walk.

Reaction Score

Fishy don’t scoff between my wife and I we’ve had ten surgeries and a few “ procedures” The Uto lift was a fun procedure . It did get me off meds with their pleasant side effects like memory loss .
You can multiply that by the hundreds of people on the board . Where else can you find that type of surgical experience for the price .
Actually I’ve torn both knees one I was young and I just fought through it and I seldom if ever get pain . The other at age 60 required surgery to clean out plus I had 3-4 weeks of PT post op which I recommend.
I climbed a mountain in Mexico 6 weeks after surgery ,
I still get zero pain but my leg muscles are extraordinarily strong from walking 5-10 miles daily and most importantly I’m blessed without arthritis at all that‘s a huge factor in knee recovery. There are many low impact exercises recommended to strengthened the muscles .
The other imporant thing with knees is weight loss . Every lbs you lose is equivalent to 4lbs less pressure.on your knees.
The thing is no to people are the same .
My wife also has torn both knees had surgery on one ( no PT ) and just PT on the other
She has never stopped having pain on both because of the arthritis it’s literally bone on bone
The meniscus provides the cushion between the Tibia and Femur when that‘s gone is knee replacement time .
. She get shots for the pain but she is scheduled for double knee replacement when we get back from Ct . She is literally in training for surgery using low impact exercicises and weight loss to prepare and help with pain .
Everybody is different so having one answer to the OP question is difficult .
in anything medical I believe in check first . A pre-op MRI or even a simple X-Ray can determine the deterioration of the knee. Then let a competent Ottho guy give you the options.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I tore my meniscus 5 years ago and as a result quit distance running due to pain and swelling. I did not have surgery but got a cortisone shot. I miss running but have replaced it with biking, swimming, hiking and golf all of which I can do with no pain but are activities that do not require cutting and quick movements on the knees. Some sports I used to play like softball, basketball, tennis and pickleball I wouldn't try because of instability in the knee. I would consider surgery if those were my activities.

Reaction Score
Three ACL surgeries between my knees. My experience has been mixed. My right knee I had a piece of torn meniscus removed and I'm symptom free. For my left, I had some really bad symptoms of a meniscal tear a few years back, but since it had been worked on twice, I was reluctant to do anything more to it.

I started doing my old PT exercises religiously for just a few minutes each night, while also doing a few minutes on the stationary bike every other night. Pain was entirely gone within 4 months and hasn't come back. I hike and bike regularly but no longer run or do any sports that require cutting. Doing the right stretches and muscle strengthening can work wonders. But you have to be incredibly disciplined and know what you're doing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Remove meniscus.

Wrap knee in duct tape.

Be well.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have had meniscus surgery on both knees. The first one was done in 1972. I have a long scare and it took at least 6 weeks to recover. The left knee was an arthroscopic procedure. I was up and walking with in 72 hours and no crutches as 5 days.

Right knee is still cranky at times. Left knee is fine.

I'm 72 and I bike regularly. I wear a compression brace on my right knee when I bike. Keeps it fine. Some days I have to wear the brace when doing normal activities.

I've had friends who have gone the knee replacement route. If I can avoid it I will.

Reaction Score
HOW CAN I DAMAGE MY MENISCUS????
This is not how I did it, but try plyometric jumping onto boxes. Or, any kind of jumping down from a height.

Or repetitive kicking a dodge ball against a kickboard or against a basement wall (something I did for exercise during the pandemic), or slipping on water on a floor that suddenly came from a plant that was overwatered in a commercial building but wasn't there when I entered(liability case 14 years ago).

Tripping over your own feet when running and landing on the knee. That does it for a lot of people.

Try any of the above, and you may well find out for yourself. ;)

Or, live to the 70's, and age will cause it too.

Reaction Score
Remove meniscus.

Wrap knee in duct tape.

Be well.
Sounds like American medicine during the time of the American revolution. And, take a few shots of brandy while the doctor saws away the offending meniscus.

Reaction Score
Hoping someone here is a real doctor...

Had a meniscus issue 20 years ago, and had it snipped. Thought it was becoming a problem again as my knee was popping and cracking with almost any movement for almost 2 years. Didn't prevent me from much, and didn't cause any particular pain.

Then it stopped doing that about 2 months ago. Went to the ortho, they took xrays and did an mri. Based on that, they recommended doing a shot or trying pt. I opted for pt, and went the other day for the first appointment. The therapist discussed what he saw in my records and pictures, and it sounded to me like the biggest issue was a lot of arthritis in the knee.

My question to the learned minds here... is meniscus surgery even done if there is a lot of arthritis? Or do they just go straight to a knee replacement? Can gel nsaids (like Voltarin?) be helpful? I'm ok with the pt so far, as he's given me stuff that will be helpful strengthening muscles to help relieve that pain, and various other pain (IT band stuff).

Thanks to all but Fishy and Dove.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom