Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Top 25 team next year?? Maybe not

Reaction Score
I doubt if we'll be at top 25 team next year especially if Jackson leaves which is more and more likely. No one could have predicted all of the outflow of talent and nothing coming in from the portal so far. Depending on freshman to perform as hyped is a very risky proposition.
The early articles putting us at #1 only assumed Clingan and Karaban returning.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna start taking receipts.
First sign of adversity in ANYTHING, and the sky is falling.

Sorry for your mindset my friend, it's hindering your happiness in life.
Indeed. I dialed back expectations pretty heavily after the SJU debacle, but only because there was no previous track record of late season success and it felt and awful lot like "here we go again". But now there absolutely IS a track record. Nobody can actually question whether Hurley has a plan and knows how to implement it, or that he cannot face adversity and come through it better than before.

There's only so much time in a day and attention you can give in life, and if they don't end up coming together next season - so be it. But I'm sure as hell not going to sleep on any Hurley-led UConn team going forward.

Reaction Score
Please define more and more likely?
Indeed. Jackson just announced he was testing the waters in the last week. I'm not aware of a single occurrence of any kind that would make his leaving more or less likely than it was a week ago.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just a thought: you should give these kids a little more credit. They’re not a bunch of clowns on the internet overreacting emotionally to everything. That’s what we do here. They actually have professionals who do this stuff for a living advising them.
Yeah, I think in this case it comes down to nothing more than which guy is most likely to get drafted high / what they have to prove at this level. Hawkins was a no-brainer, he's possibly a lottery pick. Day one decision. Sanogo has nothing to prove at all. May not have an ideal slot on a modern NBA roster, but still. Not an unexpected decision at all. And then Jackson, who absolutely has the physical traits for the NBA, but hasn't quite put up the numbers you might expect for an NBA prospect. So his decision might take a little longer to reach.

Then again, these decisions might already have been made, internally. But each one got the chance to make their own announcement and bask in the glow of the media and the fans thanking them for all they did and winning a title. And when that dies down, the next guy announces, and so on.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree- think Alleyne was coming into his own the last 15 games of the season & was getting critical minutes by the end of the season.
To be fair, I'm not sure his ultimate destination was great, but with one more year of eligibility, he may want to add another season as the top guard somewhere to his resume.

Reaction Score
Show me one of those. The ones I saw assumed only losing Hawkins. Then Gary Parrish kept them number 1 after losing Sanogo also (College basketball rankings: Why UConn remains No. 1 in Top 25 And 1 after Adama Sanogo declared for NBA Draft).

Don't think anyone would put them number 1 after losing Jackson and Newton also.
I don't think most of them were explicit about it, but when ESPN had us #1 they put up a picture of Clingan and Karaban. They now have us #4 "after the Sanogo declaration", though I can't believe anyone really thought he was coming back.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Your Mets better not be content with 2 40+ year olds getting 86 million and baseball’s biggest payroll. But my frantic attitude about all other sports has been muted by this win for sure.
Mets will be okay I think but I’m not excited about this year’s team. Braves look like the team to beat in the NL.

Reaction Score
I think they are too 25. Got a lottery pick in Clingan who might be early favorite as an all America candidate. Karaban is going to get more shots, and they have Castle.

Guard depth is short. So if Newton and Jackson don’t return, or only 1, I am assuming they go get another guard.
UConn has a 4th guard on next year’s roster. People forget about Roumoglo. I am not sure what his ability level is, but Hurley must have seen something in him to recruit him. Castle, Diarra, Ball, and Roumoglu are the 4 guards. I am sure Hurley could find one more guard on portal should Newton and Jackson remain in draft.

Reaction Score
UConn has a 4th guard on next year’s roster. People forget about Roumoglo. I am not sure what his ability level is, but Hurley must have seen something in him to recruit him. Castle, Diarra, Ball, and Roumoglu are the 4 guards. I am sure Hurley could find one more guard on portal should Newton and Jackson remain in draft.
I know UConn lists him as a guard and he can handle a little bit, but Roumoglou is 6'7" and not likely quick enough to guard opposing guards. He's a wing for lineup considerations.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So most of you guys aren’t worried if Newton and Jackson stay in the draft? What are your expectations for next year? I’d like to get to the point where we are a consistent top 5 team, we have a good recruiting class coming in but it’s not like they are all 5 stars. People being concerned about next year doesn’t diminish the accomplishments this year.

No, I'm not concerned one iota. That's college basketball, and I'm happy our kids won a championship and get to chase their dreams

I'm sure you were very "concerned" on April 22, 2022 last year too. How did that work out? Many posts in this thread are about mocking all those realistic "concerns" throughout our history as we take over as the College Basketball Capital of the World.

No, I'm really not concerned, just looking forward to another great season of UConn basketball. We'll be fine, enjoy the ride.

PS: there will be bumps in the road, there will be losses, and that's OK too. That makes WINNING even better

Reaction Score
Alabama who was the #1 team for much of the year and the #1 overall seed started 3 freshman, 1 sophomore, 1 junior, so it's not crazy to think it's possible
And where did they wind up?

Reaction Score
#1 in the final AP poll, which is what the question was. About a team being ranked high starting so many freshman
But lost when the chips were down and the pressure was very high.

Reaction Score
No, I'm not concerned one iota. That's college basketball, and I'm happy our kids won a championship and get to chase their dreams

I'm sure you were very "concerned" on April 22, 2022 last year too. How did that work out? Many posts in this thread are about mocking all those realistic "concerns" throughout our history as we take over as the College Basketball Capital of the World.

No, I'm really not concerned, just looking forward to another great season of UConn basketball. We'll be fine, enjoy the ride.

PS: there will be bumps in the road, there will be losses, and that's OK too. That makes WINNING even better
So just because this year worked out we don’t need to talk about next years roster? I’m not saying we’re not going to be a tournament team but we’re probably not winning the big east if Jackson/Newton don’t return.

Reaction Score
So just because this year worked out we don’t need to talk about next years roster? I’m not saying we’re not going to be a tournament team but we’re probably not winning the big east if Jackson/Newton don’t return.

K

Reaction Score
It's Connecticut. Our fans have the sense of entitlement of NY Yankee fans and the eternal pessimism of Boston Red Sox fans. A real double threat killer combo.
Good analogy but isn't that for the previous century. This century the Red Sox are like the Huskies up and down but win titles.

Reaction Score
Good analogy but isn't that for the previous century. This century the Red Sox are like the Huskies up and down but win titles.
Boston fans still have that eternal pessimism though no matter how much they win. It's a New England thing.

Reaction Score
Boston fans still have that eternal pessimism though no matter how much they win. It's a New England thing.
I am a Red Sox fan. Having been at both the Bucky Dent and Aaron Boones games. My pessimism ended in 2004. 4 titles later I don’t feel that way at all despite those memories. I feel quite optimistic when we make the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I am a Red Sox fan. Having been at both the Bucky Dent and Aaron Boones games. My pessimism ended in 2004. 4 titles later I don’t feel that way at all despite those memories. I feel quite optimistic when we make the playoffs
my parents made me rip up all my $$$$ baseball cards before moving up to CT,
1682214670206.jpeg

Reaction Score
I am a Red Sox fan. Having been at both the Bucky Dent and Aaron Boones games. My pessimism ended in 2004. 4 titles later I don’t feel that way at all despite those memories. I feel quite optimistic when we make the playoffs.
I'm mostly the same as you. It has gotten a little better over last 20 years. With that said, the Boston/New England reputation for this is still there for many. It's not just about the Sox or Pats. Just the regions general negative/pessimistic mentality regardless of success. It's engrained in the regions culture. The minute things go bad, many revert quickly despite recent success, kinda like this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom