Too famous to attend classes | The Boneyard

Too famous to attend classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The second female athlete at LSU has announced that she has become to famous on social media to safely attend classes in person. Angel Reese has joined Olivia Dunne in what could be a solution for celebrity college athletes, online classes. I can't imagine any player being more identifiable than Caitlin Clark or Paige and I wonder if they have similar thoughts about their safety on campus or in classes?

When my daughter played college sports social media was big and she was widely known but I don't ever remember her talking about people harassing her or sending her threatening posts. I hope this is more about a person's want to not attend classes than really fearing for their safety. Have any of you heard of challenges like this or is this just at LSU?

Reaction Score
The second female athlete at LSU has announced that she has become to famous on social media to safely attend classes in person. Angel Reese has joined Olivia Dunne in what could be a solution for celebrity college athletes, online classes. I can't imagine any player being more identifiable than Caitlin Clark or Paige and I wonder if they have similar thoughts about their safety on campus or in classes?

When my daughter played college sports social media was big and she was widely known but I don't ever remember her talking about people harassing her or sending her threatening posts. I hope this is more about a person's want to not attend classes than really fearing for their safety. Have any of you heard of challenges like this or is this just at LSU?
I think Angel Reese made that decision right around the time the Barbie movie came out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It follows that they are to famous to ever go out in public, right? Or the Athletic Department should fork over the Benjamins for a personal security force?

Reaction Score
Now, this is famous!!

IMG_1804.jpeg

Reaction Score
I could understand Dunne, she apparently can't go anywhere without a scene, but do people really know who Angel Reese is?

Reaction Score
Angel Reese is probably the "trendiest" name in WCBB right now, so I can understand it. People who don't pay attention to WCBB know her name. She and Caitlin Clark are the face of women's college athletics right now IMO and are the only names that transcend the sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Angel Reece is probably the "trendiest" name in WCBB right now, so I can understand it. People who don't pay attention to WCBB know her name. She and Caitlin Clark are the face of women's college athletics right now IMO and are the only names that transcend the sport.
I highly doubt Clark is not going to class because she is “too famous”

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure people come up to her all the time but I think we are getting a bit extreme by not attending class at all in person

Reaction Score
Angel Reece is probably the "trendiest" name in WCBB right now, so I can understand it. People who don't pay attention to WCBB know her name. She and Caitlin Clark are the face of women's college athletics right now IMO and are the only names that transcend the sport.
Yep, like her or hate her she's everywhere right now. Music videos, commercials, magazines and more. She's definitely famous outside of basketball right now. Even with someone as popular as Paige or Caitlin, her social media following far surpasses them both at this time.

Reaction Score
Nothing related to UConn Women Basketball. This should be in General Women' Basketball Form.
It is way more relevant than my favorite song. It might not be part of UCONN WBB yet but it doesn't mean it won't be one day.

Reaction Score

I think depends on the type of attention a player receives. In Reese's case, there's a lot of vocal supporters, but a lot more vocal detractors it seems. At the same time, there could be other reasons for it that we'll never know. Some do better in an on-line environment than attending in-class sessions. Provided she's getting her classes done successfully so she can graduate, that's what matters in the long run from my perspective.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A lot of good and bad comes with a level of fame, and Reese is far and away the biggest social media name in women's basketball right now (NCAA or pros). She's amassed 5 million combined followers on Tik Tok/Instagram which is 6 times what Clark has and more than 3 times what Bueckers has. Angel is a more controversial figure and deals with signficantly more hate and criticism online than Bueckers/Clark, so there may be validity to her staying off campus to avoid any potential safety issues.

All that being said, Reese clearly loves the spotlight. By casting a claim of being "too famous to attend class", it is self indulgent and creates an air of prestige that she probably enjoys portraying. It also gets her out of attending in person classes, and I don't think academics are a top priority for her. Not having to commute to class means she can spend more time on non-academic commitments (basketball, social media, NIL). My guess is all of these factors went into her decision making.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is way more relevant than my favorite song. It might not be part of UCONN WBB yet but it doesn't mean it won't be one day.
It depends, what is your favorite song?

Reaction Score
When Reese showed her finger to Clark I know UConn WBB, special Geno, will never take her one day.

Angel Reese Called "Classless Piece of S***" For Taunting Caitlin Clark

What's the point of this comment other than rage farming as they say in social media? And using this gentleman's clip doesn't exactly help matters considering who made this comment.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt Clark is not going to class because she is “too famous”

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure people come up to her all the time but I think we are getting a bit extreme by not attending class at all in person
I have no idea and would rather not compare the two. Reese is a more controversial figure, so I think it's reasonable to expect that she could face different issues than Clark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no idea and would rather not compare the two. Reece is a more controversial figure, so I think it's reasonable to expect that she could face different issues than Clark.
I get it, granted I highly doubt most of her opposition would come from her own school who they won a title for. BR treats Reese like a queen and she is well admired down there. Outside of BR is a much different story IMO but understandable. The comments about being too famous to attend class is a bit of a hyperbole to me but she seems to have time and no issues traveling the country each week doing her own thing.

But its irrelevant. If Reese wants to do everything remotely because its more comfortable for her, then that is her right. Hopefully she concentrates on her school work this fall so she can remain eligible and leave with a college degree. Its absolutely embarrassing for her to not even qualify for that award last year. I think most of us know school isn't for everyone and some do struggle to pick up on things quick no matter how hard they try. With that said, it does not take much work to be above 2.0 GPA... or even 2.5 for that matter. Just show up to class and attempt to put in some effort it works out 99% of the time. Its when you completely ignore or not try is when you actually see GPA's far lower.

Reaction Score
I have zero issue with this situation. As long as a player's academic standing is not impacted, I say "Good move". There are some football players that went this route in order to not be a distraction in the classroom. Each case is different, and I appreciate for Reece for making this call.

Reaction Score
I have zero issue with this situation. As long as a player's academic standing is not impacted, I say "Good move". There are some football players that went this route in order to not be a distraction in the classroom. Each case is different, and I appreciate for Reece for making this call.

Well…: Reese’s academics were in question last year.

Reaction Score
Well…: Reese’s academics were in question last year.
Why was Angel Reese not eligible for Player of the Year?

LSU did not disclose the reason behind Reese not being able to qualify for the award. Many have theorized it could be an issue with her grades as LSU requires student-athletes to maintain a 1.8 GPA to remain eligible.

Reaction Score
Why was Angel Reese not eligible for Player of the Year?

LSU did not disclose the reason behind Reese not being able to qualify for the award. Many have theorized it could be an issue with her grades as LSU requires student-athletes to maintain a 1.8 GPA to remain eligible.

For comparison,

Bueckers was named to the university's dean's list her freshman year, which required a GPA of at least 3.72, and was involved in social justice causes.

Reaction Score
For comparison,

Bueckers was named to the university's dean's list her freshman year, which required a GPA of at least 3.72, and was involved in social justice causes.

For someone who's part of a fanbase who love to point out how well their players conduct themselves, this is unbecoming. Not exactly following the standard that's expected of UConn players here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom