Too early 2018-19 Rankings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Too early 2018-19 Rankings

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they'll be better than they were this year. Slocum is by far the most talented player to ever play under Rueck. She has the talent to lead them to the Final Four. Other players will improve in the off season like they do every year under Scott. A lot of people expected Oregon State to be down since Syd Wiese graduated. Gulich stepped up big time along with Tudor and Pivec, and they were a really strong team by the end of the year. Other players will rise to the occasion next year.

Side note--if Howard wants to transfer to a school that has a shot to win it all and where she'll get great coaching, she should consider Oregon State. She'd be a perfect fit.
Do you really think Slocum is that much better than Wiese or Weisner?

Reaction Score
I'd put UCONN 3rd behind ND and Baylor. The rest I agree with FWIW. I think what we lose is significantly more than Baylor, but it's pretty much JMO. I think you nailed the top 5...
  1. ND
  2. Baylor
  3. UCONN
  4. Oregon
  5. Louisville
L'ville more a 2nd or 3rd

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ND will be stacked! I am too curious how they rework the offense.
UConn will still be UConn just not as strong as seasons past. However, after watching both freshman in the McDonalds AA game, they got the best recruit. BU will be strong. I didn't expect them to be as good as they were this year. Next year was the year I expected them to be really good. Chou will be back and healthy plus all the new freshman.
Oregon will be back and stronger. I expect final four if they are as good as expected.
Louisville - Not sure what they are losing.
Did not realize until you mentioned it, Chou missed or did not play in 8? games this year. Was there a specific injury that caused all or most of that?

Reaction Score
Did not realize until you mentioned it, Chou missed or did not play in 8? games this year. Was there a specific injury that caused all or most of that?

She got hurt in the first Texas game. She started all season until this injury. Had to have surgery and have a pin put in. She didn't play much until the final game in the Sweet 16. So pretty much missed the rest of the season and played with a wrap on it.

Reaction Score
Had no idea that's what determined the quality of teams. Someone tell Mississippi State that.
They have 1 AA back next year...what are you referring to? They lost 2 games all year this year with 2 AA’s. We’ve seen once you get to the FF anything can happen. But Talent will carry you up to that point.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They have 1 AA back next year...what are you referring to? They lost 2 games all year this year with 2 AA’s. We’ve seen once you get to the FF anything can happen. But Talent will carry you up to that point.

They made the championship game last year with one all-american, and Vivians didn't deserve that title.

Reaction Score
1. ND
2. Baylor
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5. Uconn

Uconn has some big question marks on what MW, CW and Ono actually produce next year. If they play like we hope then Uconn will move up.

Reaction Score
1. ND
2. Baylor
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5. Uconn

Uconn has some big question marks on what MW, CW and Ono actually produce next year. If they play like we hope then Uconn will move up.
The top 5 seems reasonable. With the question marks the team has, 5 currently seems slightly optimistic by 1 or 2 slots. I hope things work out with the freshman and returning sophomores, but this is highly uncertain right now.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I will give a polite nod to ND here by saying ours was the first game they had with Mabrey playing at the point; it was sort of cruel timing.

Louisville did redshirt McD's Loretta Kakala this year who is a rebounder deluxe...but was really badly out of shape when she reported. I think we might have gotten a glimpse of what Louisville would field as a regular lineup when they went with the lineup of PGs Arica Carter and Dana Evans, SG Durr, Wing Jaz Jones and Fuehring at center by necessity against MS State triggering their late second quarter run without MHA. Louisville's recruiting class is basically two perimeter players from the State of Kentucky along with a redshirted 2G in Lindsey Duvall (also local). Subsequently it's safe to say Louisville will be very perimeter oriented, even if Kylee Shook is on the floor where she basically is a stretch four.

I think we will factor in the ACC, but Hines-Allen gave us a ton of flexibility with her unique skill set offensively that won't be replaced.

Thanks for the pin-point and candid assessment on what Louisville has coming back and how they might utilize it.

Hines-Allen not only had a unique skill set offensively, but added a combination of swagger and Big East toughness to the equation, along with her athletic ability and offensive skill set. Given that basketball is so much a match-up game, Louisville will be perfectly fine in some games with a smaller perimeter line-up and the same with Shook joining Fuehring. But there will be games when Hines-Allen will be missed big time down low. If Kakala can be up to the task, great. If not, those games will be tough.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over here is my Top 12 for 2018-19.

1. Notre Dame - Ogunbowale, Shepard and Young return
2. UConn - Samuelson and Collier are good enough to get them to the championship game
3. Baylor - good players and the #1 recruiting class
4, Louisville - Asia Durr will go out in style her senior year
5. Oregon - Ionescu and Hebert a great 1-2 punch
6. Texas - still a boatload of talent despite underacheiving
7. Mississippi State - McCowan is good enough to win on her own
8. South Carolina - they'll get some transfers and be good again
9. Florida State - great coach, great recruiting class and transfers
10. Stanford - another great coach with good talent
11. Maryland - one year away from Final 4 level talent
12. Tennessee - two great recruiting classes in a row. Coaching is still very questionable

Reaction Score
Do you really think Slocum is that much better than Wiese or Weisner?
Slocum is a "true" PG. Wiese played point, but not a true point guard. Weisner was a wing, and not a real ball handler/distributor. Slocum can break down a defense, penetrate and dish or score. She is what the OSU team needed this year.

Reaction Score
My tally so far from those who have dared to vote! C'mon folks, throw your name in!

upload_2018-4-5_9-48-9.png

Reaction Score
1. Notre Dame-this will be one of Notre Dame's most talented rosters ever. The starting 5 will likely be 4 seniors (Turner, Shepard, Ogunbowale, Mabrey) and 1 junior (Young). If they can stay healthy, they'll be very very good. And if they have injuries, they'll still be very very good knowing Muffet. Adding in Turner means Shepard can move to the high post which brings a whole new dimension to the roster.

2. UCONN-another stacked roster for UCONN comes in. A starting 5 of Stevens, Collier, KLS, Walker and Dangerfield give them AA threats at every position. Add in the #1 recruit to spot the guards and the #5 recruit to spot the posts and you have arguably the most dangerous team in the country. The biggest question mark will be on the defensive side now that Nurse and Williams are gone. Can they beat

3. Oregon-I still think they're a year away from being a title favorite, but a Final Four should be the expectation next year. Everyone but Bando returns, plus they bring in an exceptional shooter in Erin Boley. The trio of Sabally, Ionescu and Hebard will give opposing coaches nightmares.

4. Baylor-Kalani Brown will be a POY favorite next year and Cox should be an All American. Those two alone should make Baylor a title threat. Their major loss is outstanding PG Kristy Wallace but they have a nice freshman PG in Morris. They bring in a monster class that will require a lot of juggling by Mulkey to keep everyone happy (see Texas this year). Baylor has been a notorious underachiever for 6 straight years now....can they finally break the Final Four curse in Brown's last year?

5. Louisville-Asia Durr is back along with her entire team sans Hines-Allen. The frontcourt will be fine with Fuerhing and Shook. Their trio of guards (Jones/Carter/Evans) have huge upside and could make Louisville a contender if they can consistently finish shots like they did in the semifinals. This season was by far the best coaching job of Walz's career, I'm curious to see if he can keep it up.

6. Mississippi State-I might be overhyping them, but what they lose in talent they make up for in exceptional coaching...and they have Teaira McCowan, who might be the best big girl in the country next season. They have 2 strong guards back in Danbury and Holmes, and I'd also look for Bibby to step in as a starter. They need someone to emerge as a perimeter scoring threat who can get their own shot, but I don't see Mississippi State completely falling out of the mix.

7. Texas-On paper this team is the 2nd most talented in the country after UCONN. 7 top 10 kids plus Prince who was #12. They have a ton of question marks though. How will Sutton or Patterson step up at PG and replace McCarty? Will Boothe be back? Can Holmes return to freshman form after a tough sophomore year? How does Karen distribute front court minutes? I expect Texas to be streaky like they've been the last several years. When they play well, they are capable of beating anyone, but when they play lazy, they can lose to some bad teams.

8. Maryland-they were a better team this year than I expected. For all the flack she gets, Brenda is actually a pretty good coach. Everyone is back besides Confroy, and they bring in the #3 recruit in Shakira Austin who should stabilize the frontcourt. Kaila Charles is VERY good.

9. Oregon State-I think Rueck is one of the best coaches in the country and he has Slocum on the team and a top 10 recruit coming in. They also return everyone but Gulich from this year's team. I'd look for them to give Oregon a run for their money in the PAC.

10. Texas A&M-they lose Hillsman which is significant but they return Howard, Williams and Carter.

Teams in potential free fall include:

Tennessee-they sign another top 5 class but they lose their 2 best players and have Holly coaching. That's scary.

South Carolina-they were a pretty bad team without Wilson last year and she'll be gone. The lack of perimeter shooting and consistent play is a big red flag.

Duke-they lose their top 2 players and I don't see anyone waiting in the wings to make up the massive void left by Brown/Greenwell.

Ohio State-if they finish in the top half of the Big Ten, I'll be impressed. McGuff just wasted 4 years with Kelsey Mitchell (and 2 with Mavunga/Harper).....they likely plummet out of the national picture.

UCLA-no Final Fours for their #1 recruiting class, they still haven't talent but I don't expect to see them in any Final Four discussions next year.
South Carolina will add 3 McDonals AA back to their backcourt in Cuevas, Cooper, and Henderson to go along with Harris and Jackson that impressed. They won 3 in seasons games without Aja when they knew she would be out. Again I'm the SEC championships they played well in the first two games without her being a major part of the game plan. Jennings is returning, and Herbert Herrigam came on strong at the end of a season 5 games in double figures with a couple of 20 spots Depending on Chemistry they will compete in the top 10 imo

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over here is my Top 12 for 2018-19.

1. Notre Dame - Ogunbowale, Shepard and Young return
2. UConn - Samuelson and Collier are good enough to get them to the championship game
3. Baylor - good players and the #1 recruiting class
4, Louisville - Asia Durr will go out in style her senior year
5. Oregon - Ionescu and Hebert a great 1-2 punch
6. Texas - still a boatload of talent despite underacheiving
7. Mississippi State - McCowan is good enough to win on her own
8. South Carolina - they'll get some transfers and be good again
9. Florida State - great coach, great recruiting class and transfers
10. Stanford - another great coach with good talent
11. Maryland - one year away from Final 4 level talent
12. Tennessee - two great recruiting classes in a row. Coaching is still very questionable

I can't see how Connecticut, without a seasoned post player, and having lost three of its top six scorers and its two best defensive players, can be ranked ahead of Louisville, Texas, Mississippi State and Oregon. Oregon has perhaps the best point guard ever (she seems more talented now than Sue Bird was her senior year), and a strong post player, should be awesome. Connecticut, on the other hand, loses three mainstays of this past year's team, and replaces them with two untried freshmen. There is Walker, who remains a huge question mark, and then a bench that couldn't hold the line against AAC teams in the fourth quarter when they were put in.

I know that we're all UConn fans. We all know that Coach Geno is a genius who has taken less than talented teams to new heights in the past. But don't we have to be realistic? Coach Geno himself stated that we should not expect 30-win seasons in the future. Why the rose-colored glasses?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
  1. Notre Dame
  2. Baylor
  3. Mississippi State
  4. Louisville
  5. Oregon
  6. Texas
  7. Texas A&M
  8. UCONN
  9. South Carolina
  10. Stanford
This will be at season's start.

Texas A&M over UConn is ridiculous, especially if Anriel Howard actually does transfer. I admit that I underrated Chennedy Carter previously but she's not THAT good.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Texas A&M over UConn is ridiculous, especially if Anriel Howard actually does transfer. I admit that I underrated Chennedy Carter previously but she's not THAT good.

But no problem with ND? Right? :D

Reaction Score
I can't see how Connecticut, without a seasoned post player, and having lost three of its top six scorers and its two best defensive players, can be ranked ahead of Louisville, Texas, Mississippi State and Oregon. Oregon has perhaps the best point guard ever (she seems more talented now than Sue Bird was her senior year), and a strong post player, should be awesome. Connecticut, on the other hand, loses three mainstays of this past year's team, and replaces them with two untried freshmen. There is Walker, who remains a huge question mark, and then a bench that couldn't hold the line against AAC teams in the fourth quarter when they were put in.

I know that we're all UConn fans. We all know that Coach Geno is a genius who has taken less than talented teams to new heights in the past. But don't we have to be realistic? Coach Geno himself stated that we should not expect 30-win seasons in the future. Why the rose-colored glasses?

First you start of with two All American players in Samuelson and Collier. Dangerfield is a good PG who will step up some more next season. I think Megan Walker will do a Kaila Charles and move from a role player to a main cog in UConn's offense. I am very, very high on Williams. She is a very special player. Other than dunking I don't know much about Nelson-Ododa. She's a key because she's the only player with height on the team other than Samuelson. It will be interesting what the OOC schedule for UConn is this year and how the team will perform in those games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Because you have three number one recruits on the team, plus 2x All American Napheesa Collier and an outstanding PG in Crystal Dangerfield. Add in that no one on the roster has experienced more than 2 losses in her entire collegiate career, and I really don’t get why people think results are going to drastically change.

I get that the team lacks a post player, but UCONN is still more top heavy than any other team in the nation besides *maybe* Notre Dame.

Oregon should be good, but they were a 5 loss team who bowed out in the Elite 8. UCONN was the #1 team all season long and finished 36-1. Advantage UCONN.

Louisville loses Hines-Allen and Walz has never come close to beating Geno. I’d say advantage UCONN. At worst, a tie.

Texas really hasn’t come close to a Final Four and they lose their 2 best players. They have way too many post players projected on the roster and have never proven to be a top 5 team. Advantage UCONN.

Mississippi State loses 4 of their 5 best players, including all 3 reliable perimeter shooters and their only strong threats off the dribble. The only thing they have going for them is McCowan and Schaefer. Advantage UCONN.

If Geno somehow wins fewer than 30 games next year, it’ll be his worst coaching job ever. UCONN has the talent to win the championship, and has the talent to go undefeated if MW/CW/ONO make strides. Going undefeated is not likely, but it is much more likely than winning fewer than 30 games next season.

Historically, UCONN hasn’t had a “down” season since 2004-05, when they lost the best player in the history of the program. Results weren’t that crazy different compared to 2003-04. You guys have lost the 2016 class and almost went undefeated, you loss TASS and nearly went undefeated, you lost Maya and got back to a Final Four, etc. Losing Gabby/Nurse/Stevens is far from the biggest loss endured by Geno, and I don’t think it’s going to be the most impactful. UCONN might lose a regular season game (or 2) next year, but anyone who doesn’t think the Huskies will be strongly in the hunt for a championship next season just isn’t being realistic.

Reaction Score
Question? Are these rankings based on talent or teams that has coaches and talent that could reach the FF?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom