Tonight's Silver Lining: Vance Jackson | The Boneyard

Tonight's Silver Lining: Vance Jackson

Reaction Score
Vance really got it going in the second half. Yes, most of it was basically in garbage time, but at least he got to see his potential with his own eyes.

We need some perimeter offense, hopefully he can be that guy going forward.

5/8 FG, 2/4 3PT, 14 PTS, 4 REB

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Agreed, it was almost like he read my post from the first half. Would love to see him step up like that from here on out.

Reaction Score
He has had a few games like this. The first preseason game was like this. This game was just an up game in a season of mostly down games.

Last game he hit the side of the backboard from the corner. This game was just part of the freshman roller coaster.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
When he is playing with that killer instinct, like the 2nd half, he looked like the 2nd best player on our team.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He should start vs. UCF in Vital's place. Vital has shown that he has the ability hit shots against teams in this conference, but I trust Vance a lot more with those minutes (especially due to what he provides driving to the hoop and on the glass).

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Vance needs to play a lot more. Brings more than purvis. Durham should be worked in more but slowly

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He should start vs. UCF in Vital's place. Vital has shown that he has the ability hit shots against teams in this conference, but I trust Vance a lot more with those minutes (especially due to what he provides driving to the hoop and on the glass).
No he should start in place of purvis

Reaction Score
It would also allow us to get Purvis some rest, which would be welcomed without a doubt.

One thing I've noticed is that the guards and Jackson won't hit any shots until they score inside. I hope KO can manufacture some easy looks for Purvis, Jackson, and Vital earlier in games because it really gets them going.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He's got to earn his confidence and he took a step in that direction tonight. Nice job, Vance!
yes, Durham had some moments too
I wish that KO would run some plays for Juwan inside. His learning curve is just a lot higher than all of our other bigs in terms of offensive touch and sense of the game. Tonight he finally got out there and seemed to go for it--push it physically. Made some mistakes, but he needs more run....he just "gets it" a little better.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Start, not start I have no opinion
BUT if he plays like he did in the first half -he can sit
His second half effort was a breath of fresh air offensively - defensively he is not very good
And I agree - RP and CV together is a scary thing but then, JA threw away how many balls today?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Start, not start I have no opinion
BUT if he plays like he did in the first half -he can sit
His second half effort was a breath of fresh air offensively - defensively he is not very good
And I agree - RP and CV together is a scary thing but then, JA threw away how many balls today?

This whole team is turnover happy. Facey was right up there with Jalen IMO.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jackson and Durham need more time, Vital less. He's really not helping with anything right now

We owned the boards, Brimah had good position all night.

Like how Facey is playing overall

Too many stupid unforced turnovers as a team, and too many missed shots

We can't win when Adams plays poorly

Not sure what to think about Rodney anymore, wish he would make a few big shots at the right moment and pick up the team, he just doesn't

Reaction Score
The true silver linings:
1. After this performance, Jalen Adams will be back next year.
2. UConn, if they can make a miraculous run through the American tournament, can become the 1st 16th seed to win an NCAA tournament game

Reaction Score
I don't understand the posters on this site bashing Jackson and Vital (not in this thread, in general). They are FRESHMEN. They are supposed to be role players learning the college game getting at most about 10 minutes a game. Instead they are playing big minutes and doing the best they can. There is a lot to be frustrated about this year but bashing the freshmen who are doing the best they can with what they have to contribute is messed up. Vital is getting minutes because we have no other guards to handle the ball. Ollie doesn't have a lot choices here. Thanks to the OP for giving Jackson the shout out here. Bashing the kids achieves nothing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson and Durham need more time, Vital less. He's really not helping with anything right now

We owned the boards, Brimah had good position all night.

Like how Facey is playing overall

Too many stupid unforced turnovers as a team, and too many missed shots

We can't win when Adams plays poorly

Not sure what to think about Rodney anymore, wish he would make a few big shots at the right moment and pick up the team, he just doesn't

Yes. Purview has to play. If Vance can be a threat, Rodney can be more effective. It's Vital who just isn't doing anything. Not that I expect him to. He's playing for a team on which he shouldn't get off the bench if it was healthy.

Durham needs a few minutes. Nothing to lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom