Tonight WCBB saw it's Georgetown-Villanova | The Boneyard

Tonight WCBB saw it's Georgetown-Villanova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baylor thought to be unstoppable with a dominant force down low. A shoe in for the title.

An overmatched team that needed to shoot fantastic from the outside to beat them.

Baylor loses by 1. Louisville hit sixteen 3's. You could play basketball for 20 years and never face an opponent that hit's that many 3's on you.

I was breathless after that game. I kept thinking Baylor would find a way to pull it out and when they finally fell I felt relief.

Congrats to Jeff Walz and his team for that experiencing that tonight. This sport needs moments like this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Baylor did pull it out and then gave it back again. Makes it hurt twice as bad.

Reaction Score
I think this was a much bigger upset. If you remember back to Villanova-Georgetown, Nova had played them very tough twice in the regular season. They lost one game in OT and the other in the final minute. They also had two very close losses to #3 St. John's.

During its tournament run, Villanova had already beaten the #2, #5, and #7 teams in the nation - so they obviously were playing very well. Additionally, that game was before the shot clock - which allowed Massimino to milk the clock and/or draw teams out away from the basket.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think this was a much bigger upset. If you remember back to Villanova-Georgetown, Nova had played them very tough twice in the regular season. They lost one game in OT and the other in the final minute. They also had two very close losses to #3 St. John's.

During its tournament run, Villanova had already beaten the #2, #5, and #7 teams in the nation - so they obviously were playing very well. Additionally, that game was before the shot clock - which allowed Massimino to milk the clock and/or draw teams out away from the basket.

I think the big similarity was in the extraordinary shooting percentages, not quite so much the upset, though Vil-Gtwn was definitely an upset

Reaction Score
I think the big similarity was in the extraordinary shooting percentages, not quite so much the upset, though Vil-Gtwn was definitely an upset

Yes, the shooting pcts were very good for both, although Villanova's 79% FG pct (90% in the second half) was incredible. Two things that were different were that in 1985 there was no shot clock and also no 3-point arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom