Tommy Bowden et al on TJW | The Boneyard

Tommy Bowden et al on TJW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Similar to Jim Fuller article but w/ the Mike DiMauro spin:
http://www.theday.com/article/20131008/SPORT01/310089949

>>"I interviewed him one time for a job. It came down to him and (current Clemson coach) Dabo Swinney," former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said Monday in a phone interview. "I had a hard time making the call. T.J. is a very, very detail-oriented guy. Thorough and disciplined. Able to teach the mechanics. "I was a walk-on, too (at West Virginia)," Bowden said. "They're usually overachievers. I'm partial to guys like T.J. I like their toughness. When you're a head coach, your job is to win games. Guys like T.J. were the 'do the right thing' guys. Dabo was a walk-on, too. They usually make good coaches. Dabo has proven that. T.J. deserves this chance."<<

Reaction Score
Ugh! That writer is such schmuck. The right guy will win anywhere. Washington State, Boise State, UCONN, BC. The right stiff will suck anywhere. See PP and Spaz, as a point of reference.

Reaction Score
Similar to Jim Fuller article but w/ the Mike DiMauro spin:
http://www.theday.com/article/20131008/SPORT01/310089949

>>"I interviewed him one time for a job. It came down to him and (current Clemson coach) Dabo Swinney," former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden said Monday in a phone interview. "I had a hard time making the call. T.J. is a very, very detail-oriented guy. Thorough and disciplined. Able to teach the mechanics. "I was a walk-on, too (at West Virginia)," Bowden said. "They're usually overachievers. I'm partial to guys like T.J. I like their toughness. When you're a head coach, your job is to win games. Guys like T.J. were the 'do the right thing' guys. Dabo was a walk-on, too. They usually make good coaches. Dabo has proven that. T.J. deserves this chance."<<

Without even reading the article, just Bowden's comments tell me TJ is the real deal. I still agree with others that wins is all that matters.

Reaction Score
After reading the article I'd have to say he is spot on. Actually most of the story is opinions of others and they are spot on.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Dimoron with his usual stab at UConn. Being a BCU shill, he's more than familiar with non-filled stadiums, no?

Reaction Score
Good article. I really don't have a problem with DiMauro.

I just wish someone would score an interview with Hathaway and ask him why PGDL was such a bust.

Reaction Score
It's not like Weist is going to get a real chance to prove anything in the next two months.

Reaction Score
It's not like Weist is going to get a real chance to prove anything in the next two months.

Well, I think he can prove and show a lot, but it may not be as simple as how many Ws he puts up. This thing is broken and fixing it ill not likely be quick or easy.

Reaction Score
What stab was that?

This stab: Nobody knows how Manuel plays this. He probably has The List somewhere in his head, top drawer or secret file in the laptop. Here's what else nobody knows: How many coaches want to be part of a league without an automatic BCS berth, with a small home off-campus stadium that's not always filled and a not-so fertile recruiting base.

Well it is kind of true, but given Dimauro's past some consider it a shot at uconn.

Reaction Score
This stab: Nobody knows how Manuel plays this. He probably has The List somewhere in his head, top drawer or secret file in the laptop. Here's what else nobody knows: How many coaches want to be part of a league without an automatic BCS berth, with a small home off-campus stadium that's not always filled and a not-so fertile recruiting base.

Well it is kind of true, but given Dimauro's past some consider it a shot at uconn.

What exactly is the value of an automatic BCS birth to BCU. As much as rocket ships to the moon are to me; just about as likely to get on one.

Reaction Score

He's not wrong. I'm not a big fan of Dimauro but he is not wrong. I guess I've stopped being so sensitive so comments like that don't bother me so much anymore.

Reaction Score
Dimauro is a classic underachiever BCU flop but he's unfortunately not wrong about that. He probably took a little too much glee writing that, but whatever. New London Day. Please.

Reaction Score

Not even kind of true. It's totally true, maybe with a bit of a negative spin, but this is a reality.

The trick is to hire the guy who can cut through all of the BS and make it so that those liabilities don't even matter.

Reaction Score
He's not wrong. I'm not a big fan of Dimauro but he is not wrong. I guess I've stopped being so sensitive so comments like that don't bother me so much anymore.

Just my opinion, but I think he is very wrong. Throw out the automatic BCS birth, I don't think any coach looking for a head coaching job takes that into make or break consideration, nothing is more overrated then the automatic BCS birth and the "major" bowl games, especially with the playoff coming and we still have access its just not "automatic".

Here's how we are better than BC:

Better fan base

A better opportunity to win the league and get into a major bowl, BC has "automatic" access that they will never get, in their case automatic means never.

With the new contract just about every game on national TV

In short we can still be Boise East where as BC will always be Purdue.

How many coaches will be interested in this job that pays 7 figures? Plenty, just have to pick the right one.

Yes we are a stepping stone for a coach looking for a lucrative SEC contract or NFL job but so is BC.

Reaction Score
We have to be in a P5 conference to consider ourselves better than BC (or practically any other school).

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I think he is very wrong. Throw out the automatic BCS birth, I don't think any coach looking for a head coaching job takes that into consideration, nothing is more overrated then the automatic BCS birth and the "major" bowl games, especially with the playoff coming and we still have access its just not automatic.

Here's how we are better than BC:

Better fan base

A better opportunity to win the league and get into a major bowl, BC has "automatic" access that they will never get, in their case automatic means never.

With the new contract just about every game on national TV

In short we can still be Boise East where as BC will always be Purdue.

How many coaches will be interested in this job that pays 7 figures? Plenty, just have to pick the right one.

Yes we are a stepping stone for a coach looking for a lucrative SEC contract or NFL job but so is BC.

But the article was not about comparing us to BCU.

Also, coaches on the market are going to choose the P5 (BCS goes away after this year right?) before they choose a school who has to beat out the remaining conferences for a major bowl or a playoff bid. (ain't happening...look at UL)

A job opening at Pitt, BCU, SU or UConn? All things considered...we are at the low end and need to pay more money and that still might not work.

AAC is not equal to ACC. Coaches know the difference. A stepping stone job yes....a choice between us and other schools and we probably lose.

Reaction Score
A job opening at Pitt, BCU, SU or UConn? All things considered...we are at the low end and need to pay more money and that still might not work.

If the money is the same, we are just as good as those schools and timing is everything, none of those jobs will be open this year, ours is.

Virginia may be open this year and probably Minnesota, those schools tend to be coaching graveyards, being able to win quickly is a factor all coaches consider, because of our weaker league we may actually be a better stepping stone.

The article was insinuating that not many people will be interested in the job, he could not be more wrong.

Here's the sell: come here and be the next Randy Edsall, the next Butch Jones, the next Brian Kelly the next Chris Peterson, the next Kevin Sumlin. We are a solid stepping stone, the lower tier p5 schools are quicksand.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Good article. I really don't have a problem with DiMauro.

I just wish someone would score an interview with Hathaway and ask him why PGDL was such a bust.
With how quick folks were to write emails to WM, I'm kind of surprised we haven't really seen anyone here take a stab at writing JH to try and bait a response out of him. :)

Reaction Score
With how quick folks were to write emails to WM, I'm kind of surprised we haven't really seen anyone here take a stab at writing JH to try and bait a response out of him. :)

I tried looking him up but this is all I could find. Apparently someone went all H.F.D on him.

Witness_Protection_Program.jpg

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
But the article was not about comparing us to BCU.

Also, coaches on the market are going to choose the P5 (BCS goes away after this year right?) before they choose a school who has to beat out the remaining conferences for a major bowl or a playoff bid. (ain't happening...look at UL)

AAC is not equal to ACC. Coaches know the difference. A stepping stone job yes....a choice between us and other schools and we probably lose.
I think the difference (the sell if you will) of UConn vs. BC/'Cuse/Pitt/Rutgers is that UConn can be the top dog of its league. At the end of the day, it would be better for an up-and-coming coaches resume to go 10-2 in the AAC than 6-6 in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think the difference (the sell if you will) of UConn vs. BC/'Cuse/Pitt/Rutgers is that UConn can be the top dog of its league. At the end of the day, it would be better for an up-and-coming coaches resume to go 10-2 in the AAC than 6-6 in the ACC.

I couldn't agree more. But that means an OC or DC from Mich St and Clemson will probably take a pass on us. It makes us a Cincy.

They've had a hell of a run on good coaches, with a good system. We can't afford to miss with an up and coming coach.

Reaction Score
We have to be in a P5 conference to consider ourselves better than BC (or practically any other school).

Unfortunately, in court of the media public perception, this is absolutely true. The only argument that could be made against it, come with the regular success on the football field, such that we are regularly in the top 25. We do not have that argument to make, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom