Tom Crean | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tom Crean

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why don't we stick with a guy that was handpicked as a successor by a legend...has passion for the university...made an nba career out of mentoring young stars....and has won a title less than 5 years ago. The one two punch of injuries and transfers is unique. This guy is a winner. He will win big again. I hope he's still with UCONN when he does

The hilarious part is it's for Tom Crean.

Jesus

Reaction Score
Why don't we stick with a guy that was handpicked as a successor by a legend...has passion for the university...made an nba career out of mentoring young stars....and has won a title less than 5 years ago. The one two punch of injuries and transfers is unique. This guy is a winner. He will win big again. I hope he's still with UCONN when he does

Do you watch the games?

Reaction Score
No thanks to Crean. Another name that may not be popular on the board but I think could be a realistic get is Jeff Capel. Once you look past his Duke ties, you realize he is young, energetic and can flat out recruit. With the Duke job going to either Hurley or Woj, Jeff may jump at the opportunity.

Reaction Score
No thanks to Crean. Another name that may not be popular on the board but I think could be a realistic get is Jeff Capel. Once you look past his Duke ties, you realize he is young, energetic and can flat out recruit. With the Duke job going to either Hurley or Woj, Jeff may jump at the opportunity.

He had 2 bad years before being fired at OU although they were after learning of sanctions which he had nothing to do with. He has a decent record and much better thought to me than Crean for sure.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
people were saying how he's been doing recruiting is shady

Reaction Score
Because he has destroyed our basketball program and a lot of people really enjoy Uconn basketball.

Reaction Score

To clarify, by no means am I advocating for Crean. But I'm also done w/ the "hand picked successor" garbage. I would not trade 2014 for anything and give KO amazing amounts of credit for an incredible coaching run. But watch us for 7 seconds and you can see that is something is lost in the x and o department. When an opposing scout says that we are "the easiest scout he has ever conducted" there is something very, very wrong. Couple that with inconsistent effort, lethargy and noted unpreparedness, and this thing has run its course. JC picked a great guy; he was wonderful and one of the up and coming coaching stars for a a few years. But that is not the same guy who is on our sidelines right now and as a result we are a Mid-Major team. I don't see it getting better anything either we tear the thing down or KO changes up his entire offensive philosophy/brings in someone who can impart a new philosophy. And from what I've heard through the grapevine, KO has already tried to distance himself from very qualified people who want to help.

Reaction Score
Duke will hire the best possible candidate when K retires, they won't just automatically hand over the reins to a former Dukie.

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan is the most interesting name tossed out to date. I don't know how hot his seat is in OKC as they are slowly turning around the ship, but if he was let go we should back up the brinks truck and bring him in. Bake sales every day to raise the money whatever it takes

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why don't we stick with a guy that was handpicked as a successor by a legend...has passion for the university...made an nba career out of mentoring young stars....and has won a title less than 5 years ago. The one two punch of injuries and transfers is unique.
Because his team looks disorganized and struggles to beat low major teams.

I fully agree that we are going to give him until the end of the year to right the ship but things don't look good so far particularly from November 26th forward:

Loses to Arkansas by 35
Beats Columbia in OT by 4
Beats Monmouth in OT by 3

Loses to Syracuse by 9
Beats Coppin State in by 13
Loses to Arizona by 15
Loses to Auburn by 25

That's why.

Reaction Score
How about this guy as a replacement for Ollie if things continue the way they are in the second half of the season?

Took Marquette to the Final Four with D-Wade. Coached at Indiana. Working at ESPN this year but has expressed an interest in returning to coaching. Has name recognition.
No.

Reaction Score

Capel's tenure at Oklahoma was similar to Ollie's so far, minus the national championship. A promising first few years, then the school's first losing season in decades, then a mass exodus, then a second lousy season. Plus, Capel may have attracted a few more McDonalds AA's but at least some of them got paid, resulting in sanctions after he left.

No thanks.

Reaction Score
You mean the guy who had the first losing record in 30 years and might well make it 2 in a row.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I love this suggestion tbh

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Mick Cronan.
cronin2_medium.gif

I mean he's pretty much the shortest coach I can think of.

I almost choked from laughing so hard. I also like how you spelled his name wrong. I lived on a street in CT that ended at Cronin St., which is probably the only reason I remember how to spell it. Thanks, CL!

In junior high, we had a coach possibly even shorter than Mickey. He had a fiery temper. He used to jump up and down on a folding chair when he disagreed with a call. We all thought that he'd kill himself falling off of one of those chairs. There's nothing in the world like CT schoolboy BB.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
To clarify, by no means am I advocating for Crean. But I'm also done w/ the "hand picked successor" garbage. I would not trade 2014 for anything and give KO amazing amounts of credit for an incredible coaching run. But watch us for 7 seconds and you can see that is something is lost in the x and o department. When an opposing scout says that we are "the easiest scout he has ever conducted" there is something very, very wrong. Couple that with inconsistent effort, lethargy and noted unpreparedness, and this thing has run its course. JC picked a great guy; he was wonderful and one of the up and coming coaching stars for a a few years. But that is not the same guy who is on our sidelines right now and as a result we are a Mid-Major team. I don't see it getting better anything either we tear the thing down or KO changes up his entire offensive philosophy/brings in someone who can impart a new philosophy. And from what I've heard through the grapevine, KO has already tried to distance himself from very qualified people who want to help.

I don't disagree with any of this, except that Ollie didn't make us a mid major team. We became one after the P5 moved on without us in 2014.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of this, except that Ollie didn't make us a mid major team. We became one after the P5 moved on without us in 2014.
If we were a consistent top 25 team over the last 3 years the AAC would be looked at much more highly. We are a huge reason for the poor reception the conference has received. Look at the Big East - they're viewed as a high major. You can argue that historically the teams in the AAC are better. If UConn is back to being UConn and Memphis gets their crap together we aren't a mid major conference anymore

Reaction Score
Duke will hire the best possible candidate when K retires, they won't just automatically hand over the reins to a former Dukie.
Tbd. Not so sure about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom