Tom Collen Coach Fired from Arkansas WBB | The Boneyard

Tom Collen Coach Fired from Arkansas WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... Collen was a former Louisville coach.

Collen has the luck of a latter day Joe Btfsplk. He recruited Angel McCaughtry to Louisville but got no benefit from that - Walz waltzed into town and McCaughtry was already suited up, ready to play. Result: 2 Final Fours.

Collen gets hired to coach Vanderbilt, and an irresponsible Tennessee sportswriter claimed Collen's resume was false. Xavier then bungled the confirmation of his academic credentials (he earned a double degree from Xavier) by erroneously claiming he didn't have two degrees, so Vandy dropped him, which led to Melanie Balcomb getting the job.

I think he should've sued all three parties - the reporter, for his reckless and overzealous campaign against Collen, Xavier, for totally ducking up the confirmation of his academic record, and Vandy for failing to send someone to Xavier to certify that their facts were correct.

I can't think of another coach who was so shabbily treated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Collen has the luck of a latter day Joe Btfsplk. He recruited Angel McCaughtry to Louisville but gets no benefit from that - Walz waltzes into town and McCaughtry is already suited up, ready to play. Result: 2 Final Fours.

Collen gets hired to coach Vanderbilt, an irresponsible sportswriter claims Collen's resume is false. Xavier then bungled the confirmation of his academic credentials (he earned a double degree from Xavier) by erroneously claiming he didn't have two degrees so Vandy drops him, leading to Melanie Balcomb getting the job.

I think he should've sued all three parties - the reporter, for his reckless and overzealous campaign against Collen, Xavier, for totally ing up the confirmation of his academic record, and Vandy for failing to send someone to Xavier to certify the facts were correct.

I can't think of another coach who was so shabbily treated.

1-It was Miami of Ohio, not Xavier.
2-Collen coached Angel for 2 yrs.
3-It was Collen's choice to leave Louisville to go to Arkansas.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It sounds like Arkansas is interested in joining the elite ranks.
I can't be upset by their ambition.
Wish a few more were like that.

Reaction Score

1] Whatever - it doesn't change the thrust of what I wrote. Besides, I got the state right!
2] Walz still benefitted from a fabulous player he didn't recruit - how of does that happen?
3] Didn't claim it was.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Jessica Jackson decides to transfer with this news. She was a highly recruited player last year..#17 by HGz.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Too bad for Jackson that she chose Arkansas over Baylor. But she stuck with Arkansas because she had a close relationship with the coach, who had recruited her for years. She would also have made Baylor a favorite for the FF.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll still agree that Collen has little luck. He seems like a nice guy, but really didn't produce much at Louisville or Arkansas. He was much more successful at Colorado State.

I noticed the last 2 seasons at Arkansas he produced gaudy OOC records against mediocre competition and then dropped in SEC play. There are reasons why some seasons a modest OOC schedule might be appropriate and might even work out for the team, but apparently not in these cases.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
2] Walz still benefitted from a fabulous player he didn't recruit - how of does that happen?.

A) carolyn peck anyone?
B) yup, Jeff lucked in to Angel, but he also had the sit down with her that catapulted her (and them) to stardom...

And yes, "bad luck Tom" seems to suit him...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tom seems like a good guy. With a lot of good coaches in the SEC. It's tough too win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom