To me biggest key down the stretch | The Boneyard

To me biggest key down the stretch

Reaction Score
is for the ability for D Clingan to play 30-32 minutes. To me he is a top3 player left. He needs to stay out of foul trouble and increase his workload by 4-8 minutes. Its a simple equation when hes on the floor we are the best team. Edey from Purdue plays near 40 minutes at 7-4 300 we need clingan to increase his workload for 8-9 game. We will get the required play from 3 other players but what Clingan does is unique

Reaction Score
is for the ability for D Clingan to play 30-32 minutes. To me he is a top3 player left. He needs to stay out of foul trouble and increase his workload by 4-8 minutes. Its a simple equation when hes on the floor we are the best team. Edey from Purdue plays near 40 minutes at 7-4 300 we need clingan to increase his workload for 8-9 game. We will get the required play from 3 other players but what Clingan does is unique
I hear you, but I don't know if Clingan can do that. I know Kalkbrenner can and Sanogo could last year, but can Clingan?

Reaction Score

Out of foul trouble is a must. 25-28 is a must 30-32 would be a bonus though, but as you say may eventually be needed.

Reaction Score
Need to get Solo Ball more run. There’s going to a spot where we need him like Joey C last year. There are always games where someone picks up 2 fouls and your bench needs to be stretched a bit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The staff isn't game planning for Clingan to play 30 mpg.

If Clingan is playing 30 minutes, it's means things have gone wrong.

Screenshot_20240306_061328.jpg

Reaction Score
Edey from Purdue plays near 40 minutes at 7-4 300 we need clingan to increase his workload for 8-9 game.
These are two VERY different players. Edey is largely stationary on D. He parks himself in the post and doesn’t really move. He doesn’t need to exert himself physically as much because of that and his sheer size on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Even non foul prone players esp bigs have trouble in the NCAA tourney. If UConn makes a deep run there is almost a 100% chance that DC is In foul trouble in 1 if not 2 games. Good news is team has learned to play without him and has multiple options. Bad news is Samson proclivity for fouling seems to be getting worse, need to fix that over next few games!

Reaction Score
While it’s key. I disagree

It is Alex’s long range shooting ability. Him being on adds another layer and opens up more opportunities. With a healthy Donovan, you can’t defend Tristan or Cam & Donovan & Castle AND a hot AK. His three ball opens up back door cuts and can dagger teams in big moments

If Alex is on and this team doesn’t shoot itself in the foot with fouls, it’s the real favorite to win it all

Reaction Score
While it’s key. I disagree

It is Alex’s long range shooting ability. Him being on adds another layer and opens up more opportunities. With a healthy Donovan, you can’t defend Tristan or Cam & Donovan & Castle AND a hot AK. His three ball opens up back door cuts and can dagger teams in big moments

If Alex is on and this team doesn’t shoot itself in the foot with fouls, it’s the real favorite to win it all

No doubter here agree. Teams are really able to try to take Cam out of the game when Alex isn’t making shots. He also needs to take the ball to the basket when he is off and put pressure on the defense. It may allow for a double team and kick out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clingan fouls when he's tired. It's why we're so strict about getting him rest at the under-16 (and frustrating the bejesus out of the chat). He's a 25mpg guy.

Was it Creighton where play went on from about the 18 minute mark down to the 15 minute mark and Clingan picked up #2 on a moving screen? Regardless of which game it was I (And I suspect most other UConn fans) could see he was gassed and I knew a stupid foul from fatigue was coming his way. And Johnson had been sitting at the scorers table for almost 2 minutes. I was almost hoping Hurley would call a TO during that extended period of play just to get DC out with only one foul.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Clingan fouls when he's tired. It's why we're so strict about getting him rest at the under-16 (and frustrating the bejesus out of the chat). He's a 25mpg guy.
He also fouls when he’s out of position, which is rare, but usually in scenarios where the opposing team has pulled down an offensive rebound. In these instances it’s like he’s surprised by the moment he has to guard and he reaches. He needs to concede the bucket on O boards.

Reaction Score
Maybe I am wrong but there are games where Clingan plays the same exact way and either gets in foul trouble or doesn't. There is usually some type of contact when he is involved in a play and the refs either blow the whistle or let it go. Yes, he has had some careless fouls but most of them could go either way and he, nor Hurley has control over it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For me there are 2 keys:
1. AK has to reclaim his perimeter shooting and if not then he needs to look to drive the ball
2. Both Cam and Newton need to improve their on ball defense. A team with two hard driving guards are going to toast them.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, he is our most important player. He's the key to standing top of the key or down low on offense to facilitate or score. Defensively I am so worried with SJ because of his even worse defense. This team goes as far as Clingan staying on the court

On defense, Clingan has the ability to stay out of foul trouble. It's mostly garbage whistles by refs or him leaving his feet during a shot fake when he doesn't need to. When he's in the second half with just 1 foul to his name, that is when he will be at his most dangerous because his aggression will ramp up

Reaction Score
The key is for Donovan to avoid foul trouble so he can effectively play 25 - 28 minutes. Samson is a capable backup as long as Donovan isn’t hampered by early fouls.
IMO as long as we avoid the ice cold shooting game I like our chances to beat everyone

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Edey doesnt exert as much energy as Donovan. Leave him be at 25 minutes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He also fouls when he’s out of position, which is rare, but usually in scenarios where the opposing team has pulled down an offensive rebound. In these instances it’s like he’s surprised by the moment he has to guard and he reaches. He needs to concede the bucket on O boards.

And he can concede by just standing with his arms straight up. A stationary Clingan with body straight and arms up is still a contested shot for most D1 players.

Reaction Score
Clingan is not a 32 mpg guy. I wish he was. The NBA wishes he was.

One of the biggest questions coming into the year was whether Clingan's insane efficiency in 15 mpg could translate to a bigger role. The answer is "yes, but only 25-27 mpg." That may be disappointing for some, but is probably also enough for what we want to accomplish.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clingan is not a 32 mpg guy. I wish he was. The NBA wishes he was.

One of the biggest questions coming into the year was whether Clingan's insane efficiency in 15 mpg could translate to a bigger role. The answer is "yes, but only 25-27 mpg." That may be disappointing for some, but is probably also enough for what we want to accomplish.

I'm confident in 4-5 years he'll be a 32 mpg player but he needs a gradual build up. Heavyweight boxers aren't fighting 12 round championship bouts at age 20.

Reaction Score
We need to gameplan that Clingan doesn't play too many minutes because 1. there is a good chance he gets called for fouls and 2. we want to keep him healthy. I feel like we have to hope he gets through the first 8 minutes of the game with 1 foul or less or he ends up a spectator. I'm not saying the refs suck, but sometimes they call ticky-tack fouls, sometimes they let the guys play. Big guys play physical. He is learning to avoid stupid fouls but many times it just seems like a crap shoot on what gets called.

Reaction Score
Need to get Solo Ball more run. There’s going to a spot where we need him like Joey C last year. There are always games where someone picks up 2 fouls and your bench needs to be stretched a bit.
Solo Ball was a big reason why UConn defeated North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Even non foul prone players esp bigs have trouble in the NCAA tourney. If UConn makes a deep run there is almost a 100% chance that DC is In foul trouble in 1 if not 2 games. Good news is team has learned to play without him and has multiple options. Bad news is Samson proclivity for fouling seems to be getting worse, need to fix that over next few games!
They both need to cut back on high hedges and protect the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom