To anyone who is complaining | The Boneyard

To anyone who is complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you saw or read about Diaco's press conference, you would realize that if you are complaining post game, it makes no sense as to why you were not complaining pre game. Diaco was treating this game as a preseason game and said so as summarized in this quote from an article:

"Diaco says fewer players would see the field if this were a conference game, but he is believes the only way to determine if someone can play is to that player a chance. "We don't call it preseason, but the fact of the matter is that we've got three weeks, three opponents and the opportunity to get better as a team," he said."

So why wasn't everyone chirping and complaining about it before the loss was up? And did anyone bother to think that the moves he made may actually be a good strategy for the season, at the expense of a long shot win. I mean a win would have felt good, but maybe it would have led to less wins in the season because it would have taken longer to find the best team. It does taste really good short term to eat candy, but long term its not healthy. Maybe just maybe, the man who rose through the coaching ranks, who is considered some sort of coaching genius isn't a complete idiot. Maybe he realized that we weren't going 12-0 and decided playing everyone against the best team we would see all year in order to win 7 or 8 games, was better than not seeing what we had on the team and winning 5 games. Oh, and the 2 QBs, he should pick one and go with it, well that worked well for PP last season until he got fired after four games.

I am not saying anything is right or wrong, the season will show us that, but I do know that sometimes sacrificing a pawn to save a queen is good strategy, although it may not feel like it at the time. But in the meantime, we should burn Diaco at the stake...

Reaction Score
Best post I have seen all day.

As Whaler said a couple weeks ago, Diaco has a process and the only way to win is to invest in a process.

As everyone knows when you invest in something it may take a while to see results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pulling Cochran after he just marched the offense down the field to inside the 20 was not a good idea. Just letting the clock run with a minute left in the half and all 3 timeouts was not a good idea. I know he is trying to build a program from the ground up but he also has to build the fan base. Getting blown out the first game of the season while "experimenting" with player rotations does not build a fan base. Hey, they were mistakes. He'll learn from them. So now lets see how they do next week and more importantly against Boise St. I like his sideline demeanor 100% better than what we had been seeing the last few years. I'll give him that and... I think he has a better staff.

So.... GO HUSKIES!! CRUSH STONEY BROOK!!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It really does seem like the plan is to treat these first 3 games as a pre-season. Only problem is... They count. We are 0-1. I get the logic- let's lay the foundation to maximize conference success. It also has the benefit of getting young guys valuable experience for next year, or if there's and injury. And long term those are good things. I just don't know how I feel yet about using live games to evaluate players instead of game planning to win.

Reaction Score
If you saw or read about Diaco's press conference, you would realize that if you are complaining post game, it makes no sense as to why you were not complaining pre game. Diaco was treating this game as a preseason game and said so as summarized in this quote from an article:

"Diaco says fewer players would see the field if this were a conference game, but he is believes the only way to determine if someone can play is to that player a chance. "We don't call it preseason, but the fact of the matter is that we've got three weeks, three opponents and the opportunity to get better as a team," he said."

So why wasn't everyone chirping and complaining about it before the loss was up? And did anyone bother to think that the moves he made may actually be a good strategy for the season, at the expense of a long shot win. I mean a win would have felt good, but maybe it would have led to less wins in the season because it would have taken longer to find the best team. It does taste really good short term to eat candy, but long term its not healthy. Maybe just maybe, the man who rose through the coaching ranks, who is considered some sort of coaching genius isn't a complete idiot. Maybe he realized that we weren't going 12-0 and decided playing everyone against the best team we would see all year in order to win 7 or 8 games, was better than not seeing what we had on the team and winning 5 games. Oh, and the 2 QBs, he should pick one and go with it, well that worked well for PP last season until he got fired after four games.

I am not saying anything is right or wrong, the season will show us that, but I do know that sometimes sacrificing a pawn to save a queen is good strategy..

BTW if you are associated with the team, for the love of UCONN please get Marriner and Newsome on the field at the same time.

This season is all about managing expectations.
My expectations:
1) Didn't expect to beat BYU. but I expected to eat a little bit of cougar. Unfortunately she still lives with her parents and she ended up coming but with a lit bit of whine.

2) I do expect to eat a ton of Sea wolf come next Saturday. The fishy 'taint' can be cut by having Newsome, Mariner and Cochran served as a marinade at the same time consistently.
3) Do expect to ride a Bucking Bronco well in 2 weeks...it should be one wild ride but those can be the best to savor especially when you grab their mane and their not expecting it because the PUPS will start to grow.....
4) I expected to see the program turnaround last December. It did.... but Hoping to see the turnaround complete out at 6 & 6 on the field.
5) I expected bumps and potholes in the road. ..kind of unsettling if you're in the backseat hoping to get it on but WTF at least we're moving down the road. You can't drive so be in the backseat... and enjoy a wild ride....
6) I expect this to be a process. Sometimes, process takes a little time. like sometimes waiting until the second or third date before getting a little..... especially if YOU KNEW YOU COULDN'T score on date #1 because you saw HER IN ACTION previously and unfortunately...you didn't have a SAY in asking her out. LIKE A BLIND duck*g date with a model who goes home with somebody else.
7) I expected game 1 to be an exhibition. Tough to take. We don't have the luxury of a 4 game exhibition schedule granted but this is straight out of Belichek playbook. Granted, he plays to win...but couldn't help but think to the exhibition seasons he has tanked only to have success ..... Granted, Belichek and Parcells will go with 1 QB but not in an exhibition.
8) I'll let the season playout. Parcells always played it out, correct me if I'm wrong, to make it to the "year end tournament". For us, this year, it all about the conference and rebuilding the team AND brand.... I'll let it play out....
9) Managing the season for every FBS team is also about managing a schedule. (USC-Fresno, Michigan-APP St, ECU-NCCU, etc).
This coaching staff had to live with something not of their choosing.

There are many coaches and D1 players on this board. This is one former D1 athlete that says this:
ONLY TIME WILL TELL and these guys are pro's. ..so do what you want and say what you want...but my choice is to MANAGE MY EXPECTATIONS and not get it on with every cougar and model that comes along.....

Reaction Score
I think it's crazy to say "we got blown out" ...

That just shows me some of you have expectations that are wildly inappropriate for where we are. This game was a tough challenge; we might have just faced the toughest on our schedule. I think they were a decent bowl team last year (beat UDub) and could be near undefeated this year. We should have scored another touchdown ... we had three solid chances to punch another in. And that last score by Hill - driving all up the field - was very discouraging with 5 minutes to go. (so the 17 point spread could have been beat; but Vegas as right)

I saw a lot of good things.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
It really does seem like the plan is to treat these first 3 games as a pre-season. Only problem is... They count. We are 0-1. I get the logic- let's lay the foundation to maximize conference success. It also has the benefit of getting young guys valuable experience for next year, or if there's and injury. And long term those are good things. I just don't know how I feel yet about using live games to evaluate players instead of game planning to win.

The question is, count to what? There is no way we are making the New Years bowls. So where do these count?

I am willing to bet money that there are goals posted for each guy, each game and for the season.

I am willing to bet the individual and unit goals are progressive and will point out the growth to the team and staff.

I am willing to bet that there is a goal for the year to compete for the league title. To me, that is a fantastic stretch goal for the team, for a first year together under a new coach.

We are fans in a microwave society. We pay to watch, but these guys play each week and are here to grow. As mad as we get, they need to grow.

Reaction Score
We had 355 yards. Against a Team that will probably lose 2 games (+/-).

You telling me you feel worse than LOSING to Towson? OR some of the less than 200 yard offensive outputs we have seen? I think there is reason for optimism. (I admit: I would feel better if we had lost 28-17 - which was possible)

Reaction Score
I have to believe he calls a slightly different game if we aren't down 14-0 in 5 minutes.

I also expect him to try and win the Stony Brook game first before he empties the bench.

We will see. I expected a L anyway. Once we went down early I just wanted to see us fight for 60 and we did. Had we converted on those red zone drives it would have been a 10 point game or better. So clearly that is an area of focus IMHO.

Reaction Score
This season is all about managing expectations.
My expectations:
1) Didn't expect to beat BYU. but I expected to eat a little bit of cougar. Unfortunately she still lives with her parents and she ended up coming but with a lit bit of whine.

2) I do expect to eat a ton of Sea wolf come next Saturday. The fishy 'taint' can be cut by having Newsome, Mariner and Cochran served as a marinade at the same time consistently.
3) Do expect to ride a Bucking Bronco well in 2 weeks...it should be one wild ride but those can be the best to savor especially when you grab their mane and their not expecting it because the PUPS will start to grow.....
4) I expected to see the program turnaround last December. It did.... but Hoping to see the turnaround complete out at 6 & 6 on the field.
5) I expected bumps and potholes in the road. ..kind of unsettling if you're in the backseat hoping to get it on but WTF at least we're moving down the road. You can't drive so be in the backseat... and enjoy a wild ride....
6) I expect this to be a process. Sometimes, process takes a little time. like sometimes waiting until the second or third date before getting a little..... especially if YOU KNEW YOU COULDN'T score on date #1 because you saw HER IN ACTION previously and unfortunately...you didn't have a SAY in asking her out. LIKE A BLIND duck*g date with a model who goes home with somebody else.
7) I expected game 1 to be an exhibition. Tough to take. We don't have the luxury of a 4 game exhibition schedule granted but this is straight out of Belichek playbook. Granted, he plays to win...but couldn't help but think to the exhibition seasons he has tanked only to have success ..... Granted, Belichek and Parcells will go with 1 QB but not in an exhibition.
8) I'll let the season playout. Parcells always played it out, correct me if I'm wrong, to make it to the "year end tournament". For us, this year, it all about the conference and rebuilding the team AND brand.... I'll let it play out....
9) Managing the season for every FBS team is also about managing a schedule. (USC-Fresno, Michigan-APP St, ECU-NCCU, etc).
This coaching staff had to live with something not of their choosing.

There are many coaches and D1 players on this board. This is one former D1 athlete that says this:
ONLY TIME WILL TELL and these guys are pro's. ..so do what you want and say what you want...but my choice is to MANAGE MY EXPECTATIONS and not get it on with every cougar and model that comes along.....

Well said, my friend! We will sell no wine before it's time! Our time will come.
Diaco is just getting started. In Diaco we trust!

Reaction Score
I think it's crazy to say "we got blown out" ...

I saw a lot of good things.
25 points is not a close loss. Most people would call that a blow out.

There were good things on the field by the players. But the very idea of the first 3 games being preseason being uttered by the coach is a very strange message to the fans and quite possibly the team. Sticking with your pre-designed QB plan when the game is still close and telling the world about it is also strange. Tom Obrien used to do the second quarter QB switch at BC . Opposing teams knew it and it was a guaranteed quick defensive series and a throw away possession. The red zone switch, if it continues, will become lost opportunity every game.

There are 12 games. You need to try and find a way to win them all. You won't but you need to play and coach that way. I think the players did the best they could. I'm not convinced the head coach coached to win because it is part of his process and his plan.

Boise State is the next real chance to see if he coaches to win or coaches based on a pre-determined plan.

Reaction Score
Pulling Cochran after he just marched the offense down the field to inside the 20 was not a good idea. Just letting the clock run with a minute left in the half and all 3 timeouts was not a good idea. I know he is trying to build a program from the ground up but he also has to build the fan base. Getting blown out the first game of the season while "experimenting" with player rotations does not build a fan base. Hey, they were mistakes. He'll learn from them. So now lets see how they do next week and more importantly against Boise St. I like his sideline demeanor 100% better than what we had been seeing the last few years. I'll give him that and... I think he has a better staff.

So.... GO HUSKIES!! CRUSH STONEY BROOK!!

I didn't like the idea of the 2 QB play either, but then I look at it, if two or three throws went the other way you would have had a stat sheet of about 300 yards passing 2 touchdowns and no ints. It was very close. If that was one quarterback out there and had the same stats, I would have said "hey, a little nerves, great team they played against, he threw for 285 yards against a top teir team, almost had a touchdown or two against them, there may be something to work with" I did see how it seems to be disjointed in the flow of the game, but hell maybe we can learn to play disjointed non flow football and us that as a unique advantage? The defenses we face may also get messed up because of it. who knows, anything is better than getting crushed by towson with no effort.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I am not saying anything is right or wrong, the season will show us that, but I do know that sometimes sacrificing a pawn to save a queen is good strategy, although it may not feel like it at the time. But in the meantime, we should burn Diaco at the stake...

I don't think I've seen anyone complain about the number of players they used. The comments in tbe press conference were annoying because they were completely tone dead to what transpired in the game.

I get he didn't put this team together - but since he's getting paid to coach it, it would be nice to not feel like he is constantly trying to distance himself from it.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We are fans in a microwave society.
Paul-Pasqualoni-Photo.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BTW if you are associated with the team, for the love of UCONN please get Marriner and Newsome on the field at the same time.
Cost would be almost no QB protection if you want to mix in a pass or two while they are in there. Maybe you could do it on the return team.

Reaction Score

In all honesty, I did not see that comment pre-game. While it helps me to understand his process better, doesn't change the fact that we paid full price to see an exhibition game. And quite frankly, this is not the Patriots with a season ticket waiting list. Has me thinking twice about going to the Stony Brook game since it should look a lot like the spring game.

I cannot believe he thanked BYU either for being a 'partner in this process'. Check out today's Des article. Maybe we should have held joint practices with them the week leading up to the game as well?!?!?

Man I want to believe in this guy's process and plan but that line was a true head scratcher

Reaction Score
Cost would be almost no QB protection if you want to mix in a pass or two while they are in there. Maybe you could do it on the return team.

Id like to see us run some wing T with a heavy dose of ball fakes. Could also play Newsome as a slot receiver like West Virginia did with Tavon Branch and run some creative formations out of the shotgun.

Getting this talented group of young running backs adequate playing time while giving whoever is the best the most carries is going to be a challenge. Each did well on Friday but I thought Newsome and Marriner were the best.

The running game is definitely back.

Did everyone see Newsome juke that guy along the sidelines on his long kick off return? Almost took his shoes off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99