TN kid pwns UMASS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
umassttenn-480x557.jpg

Reaction Score
So just because there is a sexual connotation, I'm supposed to think it's "cute" that we make fun of a nickname that honors those who risked their lives to give our country and the world its first taste of democracy, and give credit to a nickname that honors those who risked their lies to try to extend the right to own slaves after the rest of the world had already given it up. Pass.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So just because there is a s e xual connotation, I'm supposed to think it's "cute" that we make fun of a nickname that honors those who risked their lives to give our country and the world its first taste of democracy, and give credit to a nickname that honors those who risked their lies to try to extend the right to own slaves after the rest of the world had already given it up. Pass.

BizLaw just "pwned" you... :eek:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
So just because there is a s e xual connotation, I'm supposed to think it's "cute" that we make fun of a nickname that honors those who risked their lives to give our country and the world its first taste of democracy, and give credit to a nickname that honors those who risked their lies to try to extend the right to own slaves after the rest of the world had already given it up. Pass.

Wow, I thought I was on the women's board for a second.

It's a joke, jeez.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

No it's just amusing. And realistically, in today's day and age, it's just a mascot and a brand. For the vast majority of Americans, the Minutemen honors the actual minutemen about as much as the Redskins honor Native Americans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The rest of the world had already given it up? I'm a Yankee born and raised, but there were many countries that practiced slavery after it was abolished in the USA.

Portugal, Brazil, and Cuba to name a few. Others that still allowed it in their territories, France and Britain to name a couple more. And even more that allowed it well into the 20th century like Iraq, Afghanistan, Morocco, China, Thailand, Ethiopia, UAE, Yemen, etc.

If your lack of a sense of humor means we get a history lesson at least be accurate.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm still confused. Do people actually say "pwn" as if it were spelled "pawn" (like in a chess board)? Or do they say it as the acronym, "p.w.n."? Or is this like Montrezl Harrell's name, where I have to pick which letter to leave silent? Damned kids nowadays...

Reaction Score

ouchhhh. couldnt say it any better

but the kid is just being a kid after all... and looking at it in a more naive way makes it a bit funny

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Minutemen nickname was a replacement for the original Redmen, if we want to be politically correct.

Reaction Score
The rest of the world had already given it up? I'm a Yankee born and raised, but there were many countries that practiced slavery after it was abolished in the USA.

Portugal, Brazil, and Cuba to name a few. Others that still allowed it in their territories, France and Britain to name a couple more. And even more that allowed it well into the 20th century like Iraq, Afghanistan, Morocco, China, Thailand, Ethiopia, UAE, Yemen, etc.

If your lack of a sense of humor means we get a history lesson at least be accurate.

If I thought the joke was funny, I wouldn't have picked on it.

That having been said, you are correct, I oversimplified. Slavery had by then been eliminated in those countries that Americans would have looked at as civilized and peers. Not everywhere.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
People love to be offended. Love it.
I think a collective one of these is in order.

Reaction Score
I'm still confused. Do people actually say "pwn" as if it were spelled "pawn" (like in a chess board)? Or do they say it as the acronym, "p.w.n."? Or is this like Montrezl Harrell's name, where I have to pick which letter to leave silent? Damned kids nowadays...

"pwn" means "own"

as in UConn "pwned" Boston College for 22 years.

Reaction Score
Oh please:rolleyes: let me guess, you want the Redskins to change their name right? Man this country has become a pu##y wooped sissy version of its former self.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
"pwn" means "own"

as in UConn "pwned" Boston College for 22 years.

I know what it means. I read the Urban Dictionary link. What I'm asking is how it's said. Do you say "puh-ohn", or "pwin", or...ah, the hell with it. If I ever try to use that in conversation, I'm gonna "World-of-Warcraft" myself in the nuts...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah, He was just being a wise @ss. Who knew you couldn't use internet-speak on the internet?

For clarity, I wasn't picking on you for using it.

I just thought that it was funny if I used it in the context that I did. Then I realized I had no idea how to say it. Then I realized that I shouldn't care...

Reaction Score
Oh please:rolleyes: let me guess, you want the Redskins to change their name right? Man this country has become a pu##y wooped sissy version of its former self.

No, actually, I don't. I wasn't offended by the original joke -- I just didn't find it funny and turned it around. You are free to find what I did not funny. Note, however, that I don't feel the need to assume that I know what you think just because you don't find me funny.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For clarity, I wasn't picking on you for using it.

I just thought that it was funny if I used it in the context that I did. Then I realized I had no idea how to say it. Then I realized that I shouldn't care...

I didn't mind. It's one of those things that would never actually be said, but in my head, I always say "poaned". Can't help it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I didn't mind. It's one of those things that would never actually be said, but in my head, I always say "poaned". Can't help it.

If I had realized the direction this thread was going to go, I probably wouldn't have picked it as the location to continue my Night At The Improv routine... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom