TJ Weist deserves a real chance | The Boneyard

TJ Weist deserves a real chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has brought a dead team back to the living without any benefit of recruting. He has instilled pride in a team that was defeated on both offense and defense. I don't doubt there are better coaches, but for the position UCONN is in (AAC), he is a viable option.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
He deserves a hard look, a chance to interview and lay out his strategic plan like every other candidate.

I don't think that was ever in doubt. That doesn't mean he should be the favorite or handed the job as some hear seem to think.

Reaction Score
Try to at least keep him on the staff, in the (football-god forbid) chance our next coach is another dud, he can revitalize the team again.

Reaction Score
He is proven at least at UCONN, where as no one is. I don't see that there is any downside to a short term contact.

Reaction Score
Love the job TJ is doing. Deserves to be handsomely rewarded. If he was 6-2 or did what Orgeron did at USC I'd give him the job yesterday. But UConn really has chance to step up with next hire and completely wipe out JH/McHugh sins of Jan. 2011.

Not completely foreclosing TJ staying as OC. He's proved he's a good soldier and don't see him pulling an Orgeron style tantrum

Reaction Score
TJ is making his case, if he gets the nod, I would not argue, but I will have reservations non the less.;

Reaction Score
You mean, other than the image a short-term contract for any coach may create for recruits?
Good point. But a 3 year contract with a minimal buyout might be worth the risk rather than a 5 year contact. However, I do not know if TJ can recruit in New England.

Reaction Score
Good point. But a 3 year contract with a minimal buyout might be worth the risk rather than a 5 year contact. However, I do not know if TJ can recruit in New England.

Think the idea is having someone who can recruit outside of New England

Reaction Score
I like TJ as an OC. Not a HC. He is 3-5 as a HC ? Not great results.

Reaction Score
I must say TJ has turned it around and the program looks much better. This is a known fact.

I doubt that he agrees to stay as OC.

This is going to be a difficult Warde decision.

Reaction Score
Every new coach has risk and 3 - 5 is not a winning record. But considering where the 3 wins came (PP coached team) from makes a valid case. This team gets better every week. I am not sure that the 'sexier' choices could have managed that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
3-5.....but with a team that hadn't won a game and was mentally and emotionally defeated, on top of the fact that the staff was down two coaches and scrambled to figure out the coaching logistics (who covers what, who's in the box, etc.). So it's not just 3-5. It's a very very very good 3-5. If you don't believe me, watch the replay of today's game on SNY this week to see what the improvement has been...

Reaction Score
I like TJ as an OC. Not a HC. He is 3-5 as a HC ? Not great results.
I dont think lembo narduzzi or clawson or even saban were coming in and flipping a switch to beat louisville and ucf Tj will be just as good as any of the realistic names we will have for the job

Reaction Score
Weist deserves a shot. 3-5 record is not great but, all 8 games were with freshmen QBs.

the thing that stands out is the progress of the team. He looks like he can and is developing the young players. whats exciting is the WR core.

WM has a tough decision to make.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I hope whoever is hired looks at a couple of coaches on this staff including Weist, Foley and Day as possible coaches who can help down the road.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Echoing what many others here have said, he deserves a real chance to interview.

And if Warde decides to go with an offensive-minded coach who has little BCS experience, why not stay with a guy who has proven he can turn a team around?

Reaction Score
Echoing what many others here have said, he deserves a real chance to interview.

And if Warde decides to go with an offensive-minded coach who has little BCS experience, why not stay with a guy who has proven he can turn a team around?

And also knows the players.

Reaction Score
I would hope to keep TJ as OC and Foley as line coach but new guy will need his own people

Reaction Score
If Coach Weist is not selected as head coach, the new coach should in no way be forced to keep him on as an OC. The new coach should be given complete authority to hire the staff of his choosing.

I do think that he has shown a lot in these last 3 games. Unlike many on this board, I can give a rat's behind if UCONN hires a "name" coach. I want a coach who can come in here and win. We need a coach who can evaluate talent, recruit, and effectively manage the players and his coaching staff. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom