TJ Weist 4-0 in last 4 games | The Boneyard

TJ Weist 4-0 in last 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Like the way he learned on the fly while at UConn and would have been perfectly comfortable having him be HC here.

If Strong doesn't want to keep him on his staff, I'd be very happy if Randy reached out to him. Possibly even grooming him to take over.

Reaction Score
How about TJ Weist and Mike Locksley co-offensive coordinators for UConn under Coach Randy Edsall. TJ does on field work and Mike does recruiting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How about TJ Weist and Mike Locksley co-offensive coordinators for UConn under Coach Randy Edsall. TJ does on field work and Mike does recruiting.

No. A thousand times no. "Co" anything rarely works. Defined responsibilities. TJ for OC and Dan O for QB/Passing Game coordinator.

Reaction Score
But hasn't UConn's greatest challenge been recruiting -- even Edsall has been weak on that, hasn't he?

Reaction Score
Weist is past the coordinator job and is ready for the hc tryout. Edsel though has us in solid hands. To turn back the clock though to 12/2013.....enough said.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
But hasn't UConn's greatest challenge been recruiting -- even Edsall has been weak on that, hasn't he?
Define weak? If you think HCRE is weak for not bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits, then yes, he is a weak recruiter. But if you look at the number of 2 and 3 star recruits he was able to forecast into NFL players and solid FBS players, then he is a strong recruiter.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Define weak? If you think HCRE is weak for not bringing in 4 and 5 star recruits, then yes, he is a weak recruiter. But if you look at the number of 2 and 3 star recruits he was able to forecast into NFL players and solid FBS players, then he is a strong recruiter.

I think you can say that Edsall didn't bring the QB he needed to get to the next level.

Put Dan O (or Cochran) on the 2010 team, and its a top 15 team.

Reaction Score
Recruiting at Maryland was a challenge for Edsall, too. One reason that Locksley was brought on. Because UConn is in AAC now and not the Big East it may be even harder for UConn to recruit top talent now. No question that Randy is a fine selection and worked well with his players. But if UConn still has ACC or B10 ambitions recruiting top offensive players has got to be a priority.

Reaction Score
I think you can say that Edsall didn't bring the QB he needed to get to the next level.

If you were at the Fiesta Bowl, you didn't see totally different talent levels between the two squads. Had the two starting QBs switched uniforms for the day, we very well might have won that game. And that was on a day when Zach was not playing poorly at all.

Reaction Score
I would have zero issue making TJ the highest paid assistant. Double his USF salary.
If you're Charlie Strong, wouldn't you absolutely want to retain him?! Seems like a no brainer to me.

Reaction Score
If you were at the Fiesta Bowl, you didn't see totally different talent levels between the two squads. Had the two starting QBs switched uniforms for the day, we very well might have won that game. And that was on a day when Zach was not playing poorly at all.

Is it fair to say, then, at 8-5, the 2010 team underperformed? I think so.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

They had the most preseason hype of any Husky team I recall. I remember Herbstreit even picked us to beat Michigan on Gameday (imagine that picking UConn over Michigan..at the Big House).

I think possibly playing up to expectations and not being the underdog was an adjustment for that team. Who knows.

Once they found their groove I think they were either the 2nd or 3rd best Husky team ever. I think it goes 2009, then pre Tyler injury 2007 / end of 2010 season as a tie.

Reaction Score

The 3-4 start was absolutely an underperformance, was discussed in painstaking detail at the time. In hindsight, I think the combination of an emotional slow start recovering from the year of Jazz's death and close game after close game, plus the Zach/Cody QB controversy.

Not sure you could have counted on the 5-0 run, however, even at the start of the season. But I thought there was no reason that team shouldn't have won an extra game, and had everything gone right more might have been possible.

Reaction Score

This is why the OC and/or QB coach hires are so important. We need someone that can recruit and teach the position

Reaction Score
They had the most preseason hype of any Husky team I recall. I remember Herbstreit even picked us to beat Michigan on Gameday (imagine that picking UConn over Michigan..at the Big House).

I think possibly playing up to expectations and not being the underdog was an adjustment for that team. Who knows.

Once they found their groove I think they were either the 2nd or 3rd best Husky team ever. I think it goes 2009, then pre Tyler injury 2007 / end of 2010 season as a tie.

That's fair. I agree that the 2009 team was our best, and absent the Jasper Howard tragedy they probably win ten games.

The 2010 team had no business getting drilled by temple and losing to RU's true freshman QB. The second one was mostly on Randy and his game plan, letting the kid sit back with no attempt to pressure him at all, throwing to open receivers in a soft zone.

Reaction Score
TJ is not coming back laterally even for a boat load of money. I suspect the man has some self respect. He's been spurned twice. Frankly, I'd despise the place at this point. Plus, he's killing it where he is in nice warm short sleeve weather.

Reaction Score
I would have been thrilled with TJ Weist.

Nobody knows how he'd do as an HC though. He's a great OC, but can he find an OC/DC and fill out the staff so that he can run the program, rather than just the offense?

Maybe he deserves the chance, maybe not, but it wasn't meant to be here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
TJ is a good coach, however, with that QB, runningback and those receivers - my God that offense is loaded and could win at any level on any team

Reaction Score
When Manuel didn't land Pat Narduzzi I wish he had hired Weist. Instead, he pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we got Diaco. There is no way of knowing whether Weist would have been a good head coach here but chances are we would have score a lot more points than we did in the 3 miserable years that Diaco was in town. I do truly hope RE will be successful and going to UConn games will be fun again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom