TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TJ Not One of the Assistants Who Announced He is Moving On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See, I take a slightly different view of the tweets. Take the following scenario:

You are in an organization and are in competition for a promotion or permanent appointment to a position you were acting in temporarily after the unexpected departure of your old boss. You aren't selected for the position, and someone from outside the organization gets named.

But, you very much want to stay on in the organization. What do you do?

Stay silent and allow for folks to assume you are angry and disgruntled about the fact that you were not appointed to be the boss or with the change in leadership?

Or do you go out of your way to be gracious about the decision, publicly put on a good face and express your gratitude for the opportunity and how much you appreciate working in that position and with the rest of the organization?

Now, if you are the new boss looking at current staff to determine who will stay on and who will be replaced, would you be more likely to keep someone who expresses there are no hurt feelings, appreciates all the opportunities they were afforded and expresses nothing but positives about their experience? Or someone who is bitter about the decision, or that you don't know how they feel about it because they aren't saying anything, and therefore may not be cooperative or willing to adopt your new vision?

This happens all the time. My company outsourced a large number of positions a couple of years ago. During the "due diligence" process of determining which employees would be retained, it was continually emphasized that our attitude toward the coming selections, how we behaved and the comments we made (positive, supportive and willing to work with the new vendors versus bitter and resentful) would be noticed and would be a factor in the retention decision. I was not retained...guess I didn't have a good poker face and my bitterness and resentment was noticed.

Not saying TJ isn't moving on, just that he may be playing his cards to show he has no bitterness over the decision and that he has a positive attitude in order to to improve his position in staying on.

Reaction Score
... or that the account is the "Official Twitter Account of @uconnhuskies@UConnFootball Interim Head Coach TJ Weist" and it was the "right thing to say" @ the "right time".

Heck - it might not even have been penned typed by TJW himself (but most likely approved it).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it's being reported that TJ is NOT one of the coaches moving on, then either the reporter got it wrong or TJ's tweets were not his way of saying good bye.

TJ would be a fool not to interview. Diaco has a few connections I'm sure. Never ever burn a bridge. Especially in college football.

Reaction Score
As I said earlier, the tweets are vague enough to go either way. I'd love to see him stay, but can see why he might want to leave, or Diaco might want someone new

Reaction Score
While I wouldn't scream bloody murder, I'd like to see TJ, Foley, Wholley and Day retained. The rest.......I can see moving on.

I highly doubt TJW stays after those series of tweets.
Agreed.

I would like TJ to stay though. In 8 games at UConn he did what PGDL couldn't do it 28. Win three straight.

Foley has to go. Not because he didn't do a good job, but he runs a different scheme and Diaco needs to put his stamp on the defense. I hope the other three you mentioned stay too.

Reaction Score
Foley has to go. Not because he didn't do a good job, but he runs a different scheme and Diaco needs to put his stamp on the defense.

Husky Wat.jpg

:D;):D

Reaction Score
Foley has to go. Not because he didn't do a good job, but he runs a different scheme and Diaco needs to put his stamp on the defense. I hope the other three you mentioned stay too.

I think you are getting Foley (offense) and Hughes (defense) confused.

edit: if my machine didn't lock up I would have seen your latest post before I wrote this.

Reaction Score
Good OLine coaches are worth their weight in gold. I am a friend of a retired Pro Bowl center and he can go on for hours about tendencies, techniques, foot and hand placement and on and on. The basics are easy, the minutia takes time and knowledge to teach. I played 2 years of CFB at Central back in the old days and he taught me more about line play in an hour than I learned in my career. He thinks Foley is great and that all the endorsement I need. He claims, as long as the players are coach-able, a good line coach can, in time, turn a bunch of division 2 type athletes into a solid, functional D1 unit. Give that same guy D1 talent to work with and we're on the way, once again, to a potent running attack.

Unless BD has someone good in the hopper, Foley is a key guy to keep.
It's the offensive line that separates Alabama from everyone else.
Development of a line working in unison is difficult to achieve.
The loss of one person could destroy that chemistry.
Controlling the ball will mask a lot of weaknesses .

Reaction Score
I see his tweets as encouraging. It is however not hard to understand those that see it as foreboding seeing how many times we have been jilted already.

Reaction Score
I see his tweets as encouraging. It is however not hard to understand those that see it as foreboding seeing how many times we have been jilted already.
I see it the same way you do. I'm not into translating the 140 character verbiage that is the latest and greatest. Hard to read anything but thank you's from them. I just hope TJ is allowed to stay(if he WANTS) on and run that downfield blitzing offense that he started and Coach Diaco alluded to. Go UCONN Huskies. The Spring game can't get here fast enough. The weather guy said we already picked up a minute of daylight from Wednesday. Tired of loading the wood stove.

Reaction Score
When you search "Weist" on google.com, TJ's Wikipedia page is the first link that shows up. Ahead of an Academy Award winning actress.

Not bad, TJ.

pj

Reaction Score
There's no way to tell whether his tweets are wrapping up the season or his UConn career. I doubt he knows yet where he's going to be next year. He is a gem of a coach and will have offers. The question is whether UConn will make the best offer. I hope they do and he's back as OC and Assistant Head Coach with a nice paycheck.

We have to keep Foley and Wholley, I'm fine with Day also though it's hard for an outsider like me to judge him.

Reaction Score
Defensive Coordinator -> Interim Head Coach -> Potential full time Coach -> DL Coach -> Back to DC (and criticized for not having as good of a D as Don Brown did)-> No interview for HC. This will be the 4th head coach during his tenure at UConn and his new boss, as a former D Coordinator himself, will certainly want to put his mark on that side of the ball.

At 43 years old (what he was in 2001 when he came on), he may have had school aged kids. I can see not want to up root them. My bet is at 56, his kids are probably college aged or older. My guess is that the school thing is not as much of an anchor as it once was.
I know as a fact that he was very upset when he did not get interim head coach job and was not going to come back for next year. Not going to state how I know, but you just have to trust me. Also know that he has children that are in the early teens. Seems like a great guy and good soldier, but it may be best for him and UConn to move on.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I'm goin with Fairfield cty as oline coach, uconn dan97 d coord, ,j money 187 WR coach, Biz Law as Asst head coach,Fishy is in charge of security, Nostical as QB'S coach,Palatine Rb's coach,Chin Diesel special teams, and Jimmy Serrano as Lb's coach I have a buzz now and I might of left people out here that I like ... Sorry blame it on Hathaway!

Reaction Score
Who are the assistants who said they are moving on????????????

Reaction Score
I love the hire of Coach Diaco. However, I would really question his decision making if he elects to keep Weist on staff. And I loved what Coach Weist did the last 3 games.

pj

Reaction Score
I love the hire of Coach Diaco. However, I would really question his decision making if he elects to keep Weist on staff. And I loved what Coach Weist did the last 3 games.

Why? I want Weist. Diaco knows him from Cincy.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
pj said:
they were not at Cincy together.

Reaction Score

It is not a good decision as a manager to keep the former manager on the staff. Could present quite a few problems. Coach Diaco would best be served to let coach Weist move on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm goin with Fairfield cty as oline coach, uconn dan97 d coord, ,j money 187 WR coach, Biz Law as Asst head coach,Fishy is in charge of security, Nostical as QB'S coach,Palatine Rb's coach,Chin Diesel special teams, and Jimmy Serrano as Lb's coach I have a buzz now and I might of left people out here that I like ... Sorry blame it on Hathaway!

I would like to thank UConnalliance and the committee for giving me this chance to become DC of the Huskies. Our new defensive strategy will be centered around the philosophy of "punch them in #$king mouth." I'm not sure how many points they'll score against us in the first two quarters, but I'll guarantee they ain't comin' out of the locker room for the second half...

Reaction Score
It is not a good decision as a manager to keep the former manager on the staff. Could present quite a few problems. Coach Diaco would best be served to let coach Weist move on.

I disagree, Wesit was brought in to be OC, not HC. He filled in because he needed to, but if his ego can handle it, and there hasn't been any sort of evidence that it can't, then this could work out just fine. He keeps the job he was brought here for.

This isn't a case of a coach stepping down to be OC after 8 years, it's a coach going back to his original position after 8 games.
I think people's fears are overblown.

Reaction Score
I disagree, Wesit was brought in to be OC, not HC. He filled in because he needed to, but if his ego can handle it, and there hasn't been any sort of evidence that it can't, then this could work out just fine. He keeps the job he was brought here for.

This isn't a case of a coach stepping down to be OC after 8 years, it's a coach going back to his original position after 8 games.
I think people's fears are overblown.

We will have to agree to disagree. I simply do not think a manager should retain the former manager, regardless of how long or why the previous manager was thrust into the role. Like I said, I appreciate everything Coach Weist did, but it would be wise for Coach D to go another route. I believe he will do just that as he appears to be a smart man.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I would like to thank UConnalliance and the committee for giving me this chance to become DC of the Huskies. Our new defensive strategy will be centered around the philosophy of "punch them in #$king mouth." I'm not sure how many points they'll score against us in the first two quarters, but I'll guarantee they ain't comin' out of the locker room for the second half...
Like I said I choose you cuz I love the word For unlawful carnal knowledge ..lmfao!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom