Titanic Submarine | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

Reaction Score
Crazy

Screenshot_20230622-103043.png

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this was said already — traveling and don’t have time for the entire thread — but there is a Connecticut tie to the story. The French pilot — Paul Henry something — lived in the south part of Kent for years. Until he death he was married to the NYC local news anchor Michelle Marsch.

Reaction Score
Coast Guard just confirmed debris has been found near the Titanic. Currently investigating if debris is related to submersible. Press Conference at 3 PM.

Highly unlikely they would make this announcement if the debris is NOT the submersible, unfortunately. Sounds like the vessel imploded.

Reaction Score
Coast Guard just confirmed debris has been found near the Titanic. Currently investigating if debris is related to submersible. Press Conference at 3 PM.

Highly unlikely they would make this announcement if the debris is NOT the submersible, unfortunately. Sounds like the vessel imploded.
Honestly, it’s prob better this way than slowly sufffocating

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's more about getting out (and air) in an emergency surface and aren't found in time. At min a way to get air and show where they were was needed.

The solution is an access panel which is hinged on the outside and lever locked on the inside.

Similar to an airplane door where you plane/deplane.

The access door itself is on the outside of the submersible and has a seal and lever locks on the inside. As pressure increases on outside it makes the seal tighter. If needed the access panel can be released and opened from the inside.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Wouldnt near the Titanic be the first place they'd search once they went missing? I know that there's 13,000 feet deep of water to search but I'm guessing once the sub dived deeper than it should have, it imploded. Could have been right when they lost communication which would be the best case scenario for the people on it.

Reaction Score
Wouldnt near the Titanic be the first place they'd search once they went missing? I know that there's 13,000 feet deep of water to search but I'm guessing once the sub dived deeper than it should have, it imploded. Could have been right when they lost communication which would be the best case scenario for the people on it.
Once they could get to it. They had to get vehicles capable of that depth in the area first, which only a handful exist in the world. I think most of the searching the first couple of days was on the surface and methods like sonar.

Reaction Score
Once they could get to it. They had to get vehicles capable of that depth in the area first, which only a handful exist in the world. I think most of the searching the first couple of days was on the surface and methods like sonar.

I had just assumed the debris field was found above water, but was it actually below the surface? I know they used some deep sea robot that found it but wasnt sure where exactly it was.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yup, but they made the decision to do it anyway. This is unfettered capitalism at its finest. Someone offered a product/trip and was first to market. Maybe they cut corners on things to do so, but this is a perfect example of caveat emptor. The buyers wanted to be first as part of their thrill and chose not to wait for a competitor to do it better.
As I have aged I have come to appreciate the Irish expression: "you're a long time dud"

Reaction Score
I had just assumed the debris field was found above water, but was it actually below the surface? I know they used some deep sea robot that found it but wasnt sure where exactly it was.
Debris was on the ocean floor.

Sounds like people are now confirming the passengers have perished.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe the Harding guy got on the sub. He actually has a cool resume of explorations. It’s not a billionaire clout thing. Another guy was a Titanic scholar who presumably did not have 250k to drop. Then the CEO - won’t shed many tears. It’s easy to dehumanize these guys as billionaires (what a world) - imagine the terror experienced by some coddled billionaire kid who never faced adversity. Thankfully it seems like they likely died immediately. I still think some of the memes are funny but a lot of twitter discourse is gross.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Feel bad for these folks. But that's a lot of scratch to get a glimpse of a rust bucket at the bottom of the ocean. Risk/reward hard to justify.
Fool around...find out. With all the good things that could be done with that money, if they instead decide to spend it on something hyper-risky and outrageously expensive, honestly don't have much sympathy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
More penny pinching bordering on criminal than design flaw. Seems like an underwater submersible is not the thing to cheap out on and cut corners. To the people saying they would go to the moon...yeah, maybe as a ride-along with NASA or something. Not in some tin can like this made by some huckster in his garage.
What about....in a Fiero...y'know, that Lucas Black rigged up?

1687482801316.png

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this take. You should vacate your right to a rescue doing something as idiotic as this. The amount of money, hours, and resources used to perform this rescue mission is insane.
fret not, we'll probs reimburse the other countries for their assist efforts, so there's that

Reaction Score
They should have put 100 keys of blow on the Titan, maybe then the US government would find it.

If I were a betting guy, and there was 100 keys of blow on it, I'd go with "the field" over US govt finding it first.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The media is starting to deify these reckless idiots. If you slap a mountain lion in the face and it eats you, does that make you brave or a moron? That is the same question to ask about a handful of "explorers" who took a converted Toyota Corolla into the deep part of a frozen ocean to look at a boat that sank 111 years ago.

Reaction Score
The media is starting to deify these reckless idiots. If you slap a mountain lion in the face and it eats you, does that make you brave or a moron? That is the same question to ask about a handful of "explorers" who took a converted Toyota Corolla into the deep part of a frozen ocean to look at a boat that sank 111 years ago.
Not seeing any "deification" of them, but there is sympathy for the families and especially the 19 year old. He wasn't old enough to understand the risks. His father should have. For most of them it wasn't their first trip down, which probably gave them a false sense of safety. Obviously there was some wear and tear on the sub that lead to the implosion. It was a very risky venture under any circumstances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom