Tiffany Hayes suspended for playoff opener | The Boneyard

Tiffany Hayes suspended for playoff opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tiffany Hayes suspended for WNBA playoff opener

This is a fairly devastating blow for Atlanta, which will host Seattle tomorrow in a do-or-die playoff game.

Tiff has become an important "cog" in the Atlanta Dream organization. This uncharacteristic act of selfishness, may cost her team dearly. Anyone that has ever played "organized" basketball can understand her frustration.

The cost of expressing her frustrations and disagreement with a call was not worth the effect her suspension for the 1 game playoff contest against the Storm may have. I'm sure if she had it to do over again, she would take a different, more subtle approach in expressing her dismay. I would agree that the officiating in the W has room for improvement.

Hayes is averaging 15.0/3.4 per game. She's second to Elizabeth Williams (1179) in total minutes played with 1,016.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Do we have technical for the refs ???
I've watched a couple of games and didn't feel the refs were horrible. Perhaps a little too quick to blow the whistle, but for the most part ok IMHO. Tiff has been in the league for several years. Knowing she had 6, knowing #7 would result in a 1 game suspension, she should have been extra careful. I put this one on her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In her UCONN career, I don't remember her ever arguing with a referee, or even giving a ref a conspicuous dirty look. Nor do I recall her doing that in Atlanta's games against the Sun that I watched.

Seven technicals in 34 games is a lot.

When did she acquire these quarrelsome habits?

Reaction Score
1. Let's quit blaming the officials for Ms Hayes actions. Other players in the league seem capable of playing the game without being overtly disrespectful of the officials.
2. Tiffany has put her team in a bad position in tomorrow's single elimination game. Having six technical in a season is akin to having four fouls in a college game; A situation about which one must be aware and remain cognizant of the consequences of the next transgression. This suspension could not have come at a worse time for an important player in a team game for a team that earned the right to play this particular playoff game at home against a very talented team.
3. What surprises me is that regular season suspensions are enforced during the playoffs. It may have always been the case in the WNBA, NBA, and other pro leagues. This is the first time something like this has come to my attention. Does the WNBA CBA allow Hayes to appeal the suspension, play tomorrow's game, then serve the suspension down the road when she loses the appeal?
4. Like ericsandiego, I have no quarrel with the officials. Rarely is officiating the difference in the outcome.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In her UCONN career, I don't remember her ever arguing with a referee, or even giving a ref a conspicuous dirty look. Nor do I recall her doing that in Atlanta's games against the Sun that I watched.

Seven technicals in 34 games is a lot.

When did she acquire these quarrelsome habits?

I don't remember her ever arguing with a referee, or even giving a ref a conspicuous dirty look. That type of behavior is not allowed or tolerated at UConn. Every player is told, and understands that other than greeting the refs before the game, you don't say anything to them....period. And you'd better watch your body language too. Geno and staff are very clear on this. No matter how egregious the call (or non call), you don't argue or inquire. You don't say anything to the refs. If you do, you sit. And you may sit for a while. I'm talking games, not minutes. The late Hall of Fame coach John Wooden (UCLA) once said "The bench is an excellent teacher".

As for when she began to acquire those quarrelsome habits, my guess is her first year playing with Dream teammate Angel McCaughtry. Angel plays angry all the time. The expression on her face never changes. She never smiles. Always has a scowl on her face, and always complains about non calls. So the answer to your question is: When you associate, you assimilate or, when in Rome....................... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't remember her ever arguing with a referee, or even giving a ref a conspicuous dirty look. That type of behavior is not allowed or tolerated at UConn. Every player is told, and understands that other than greeting the refs before the game, you don't say anything to them....period. And you'd better watch your body language too. Geno and staff are very clear on this. No matter how egregious the call (or non call), you don't argue or inquire. You don't say anything to the refs. If you do, you sit. And you may sit for a while. I'm talking games, not minutes. The late Hall of Fame coach John Wooden (UCLA) once said "The bench is an excellent teacher".

As for when she began to acquire those quarrelsome habits, my guess is her first year playing with Dream teammate Angel McCaughtry. Angel plays angry all the time. The expression on her face never changes. She never smiles. Always has a scowl on her face, and always complains about non calls. So the answer to your question is: When you associate, you assimilate or, when in Rome........ :rolleyes:
Probably the only team with 2 players who made it to 7 T's in this season.

Reaction Score
It's not like she didn't know the rules... After all, Angel had just served a suspension prior to Tiffany getting hers... So it's on her... Too bad... Goooo Storm :p

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Some of the refs have a quick whistle when it comes to technical fouls. It frustrates me because what they assess technical fouls for would be considered polite in the NBA. These are professionals, treat them as such, and quit being so think-skinned as a ref. This game is about the players...playing...not the refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom