Tiff Hayes playing for Azerbaijani | The Boneyard

Tiff Hayes playing for Azerbaijani

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good for Tiffany! The fact that I can actually write that is a sign that I am getting softer and wiser (Maybe?). When Becky Hammon suited up for Russia in 2012 I was vehemetly opposed. I did not go so far as to call her a traitor but I was opposed. That was Russia and this is Azerbaijan but and what caused me to change my mind about the situation is two things 1) For the most part Tiffany and Becky weren't going to make the US olympic anyway 2) Those other countries are putting more money into the pockets of WNBA player that the US is currently willing to do. If and when a country like Russia starts offering our top players (DT, MM, CP, BG) money to roll with them in the Olympics or world championships not sure how I would feel about that scenario.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good for Tiffany! The fact that I can actually write that is a sign that I am getting softer and wiser (Maybe?). When Becky Hammon suited up for Russia in 2012 I was vehemetly opposed. I did not go so far as to call her a traitor but I was opposed. That was Russia and this is Azerbaijan but and what caused me to change my mind about the situation is two things 1) For the most part Tiffany and Becky weren't going to make the US olympic anyway 2) Those other countries are putting more money into the pockets of WNBA player that the US is currently willing to do. If and when a country like Russia starts offering our top players (DT, MM, CP, BG) money to roll with them in the Olympics or world championships not sure how I would feel about that scenario.
The addition of 'European' citizenship is also a huge boost to potential professional earnings - the European teams limit the number of non-'European' players on the teams and having American talent that does not count against those caps is a bonus. Sue has dual US and Israeli citizenship I believe, and I think DT also has dual citizenship.

Agree that Becky got a lot of grief as the 'pioneer' and I am not sure I still really approve of the hired gun at the Olympics - still have a little issue with the professional athletes in money sports so I am probably just a sports reactionary! :eek:

Reaction Score
I can understand anyone wanting to be in the Olympics, but to miss 5 WNBA games to play 3 on 3 for Azerbaijan at the European Games? Am I missing something?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can understand anyone wanting to be in the Olympics, but to miss 5 WNBA games to play 3 on 3 for Azerbaijan at the European Games? Am I missing something?
Apparently Tiff gets Azerbaijan citizen as part of the process. This increases Tiff earning power overseas where there are limits on the number of Americans than can be on any single team.
She is Azerbaijan now, not American for roster spot purposes. Not sure what other WNBA players are holding which citizenship but I know that Candace Parker's daughter speaks better Russian than she speaks English.

Reaction Score

So, what was your opposition based upon if you did not at least believe Ms Hammon to be a traitor? Epiphanny Prince took a lot of flack here also.

Hopefully, you will not be alone in confessing previous opposition only to have now become softer and wiser.
It would also be nice to hear from those still opposed to Americans trading away their citizenship to participate in the Olympics/play for foreign national teams.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the qualifications are to play for a country other than the one that you are born in? It says that she got her citizenship in Azerbaijan but what does she need to do to actually get it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So, what was your opposition based upon if you did not at least believe Ms Hammon to be a traitor? Epiphanny Prince took a lot of flack here also.

Hopefully, you will not be alone in confessing previous opposition only to have now become softer and wiser.
It would also be nice to hear from those still opposed to Americans trading away their citizenship to participate in the Olympics/play for foreign national teams.
To start - just a clarification - they do not trade their US citizenship but become dual nationality - something that was almost impossible for US citizens until quite recently. The only thing that they do 'trade away' is the ability to represent the US in future international competitions in their sport - something that most if not all who have followed this path were unlikely to be selected for anyway.

I have had an issue with the professionalization of Olympic competition since it began - it was always a bit of a sham, but especially in money sports like basketball, tennis, and ice hockey for example, there is plenty of international competition/exposure and a very good living available for professional athletes and seeing them again in the Olympics just seems unnecessary. For non-money sports, I am much more supportive of 'professionals' being involved - it is the only really big stage for these athletes and allows them to get support for the years of training necessary to compete.

On the purchasing of athletes by nations for their Olympic teams:
1. It just seems like a shame that the best local talent is not getting a chance for Olympic competition - Azerbaijan is not winning anyway, give your nationals a chance and something to strive for.
2. It is a further professionalization of the Olympics. How long before a country like Qatar decides to spend a billion dollars (chump change for them) to field an Olympic squad with not a single arabic speaker that wins gold medals in various sports?
3. I just wonder what the value of being a hired gun for another country gets you in later life - I can see grandma Hammond showing off her Olympic regalia and getting asked 'so, you speak Russian?' and the honest reply 'no, I just wasn't good enough for the US team, but the Russians were willing to give me a chance., and I was willing to do anything to get to the Olympics!' An interesting lesson to be passing down to your grandkids.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One added thought or explanation to my above post:
The professionalization of the Olympics and the purchasing of players to national teams in some ways reminds me of the free agency in especially basketball - I used to follow the NBA, but have basically lost interest in the modern game, partly because I think the men have outgrown in athleticism the current court/basket height, but also because the make-up of many teams changes so dramatically each year - how do you have strong fan loyalty to a team that does not have loyalty to their players and whose players have no loyalty to the team?

Other professional sports primarily football and baseball have much large rosters - the economics of free agency allow for generally significantly lower turnovers year to year and you get to follow career development and recognize and become fans of individual players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Atlanta got creamed last night without Tiffany.

Reaction Score
dual citizenship is a bizarre concept..if two countries are at odds, would the citizen be charged as a traitor? BTW, Qatar already fields its soccer teams/track and field team/basketball team with blacks from Africa.

Reaction Score
dual citizenship is a bizarre concept..if two countries are at odds, would the citizen be charged as a traitor? BTW, Qatar already fields its soccer teams/track and field team/basketball team with blacks from Africa.

Since race seems to be more important to you than nationality, Qatar also recruits white athletes from Europe.

Reaction Score
Since race seems to be more important to you than nationality, Qatar also recruits white athletes from Europe.
White people blend in there....Arabs are considered Caucasian as well!

Reaction Score
White people blend in there....Arabs are considered Caucasian as well!

Please, no more of this nonsense. You talk about blending in, in a country that has a population that consists of almost 90% foreign workers (Indian, Filipino, Nepalis,
Egyptians, etc.). There are many more Kenyans and Nigerians in Qatar than Russians or Germans. One of Qatar's three ethnic groups are descended from people brought as slaves from East Africa. I think blacks from Africa blend in as well as anyone. Of course "blending in" is never really the point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
seriously? how you feel about Lisa Leslie, Wilt, Denham Brown... shoot, even Maya's 40 against Syracuse!

* happens... its not like she wasn't in High School, she was playing against her peers

lets those Rutgers grudges go
No Rutgers grudges here DaddyChoc. Prince was in HS when this happened nothing to do with Rutgers. Wilt was a grown man getting paid to play so let's not put him in this conversation. Maya's 40 against Syracuse was apt payback for rough play. Lisa Leslie was equally wrong for dropping 101 in HS and so was Cheryl Miller for dropping 105. The adults (coaches specifically) league officials that allow this to happen where even more wrong. I believe in sportsmanship & respecting the game & opponent. In these specific instances Lisa, Cheryl, and Epiphanny displayed neither.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No Rutgers grudges here DaddyChoc. Prince was in HS when this happened nothing to do with Rutgers. Wilt was a grown man getting paid to play so let's not put him in this conversation. Maya's 40 against Syracuse was apt payback for rough play. Lisa Leslie was equally wrong for dropping 101 in HS and so was Cheryl Miller for dropping 105. The adults (coaches specifically) league officials that allow this to happen where even more wrong. I believe in sportsmanship & respecting the game & opponent. In these specific instances Lisa, Cheryl, and Epiphanny displayed neither.
thanks... for blaming the adults. but to carry that dislike 10yrs later, hate to know how you may dislike those who personally rubbed you the wrong way over the yrs.

I know this is just a simple message board and no one will see your feelings... and it may be just basketball related but some things are just better off not said at all.

I'm sure Epiphany doesn't effect your personal life on a daily basis.

Tiff getting the dual citizenship for whatever reason is her business just as Epip and Becky.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally I'd blame the coaches (adults) in those cases. I could see where a kid might get caught up in the moment, but the coach should have just sat them down.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the qualifications are to play for a country other than the one that you are born in? It says that she got her citizenship in Azerbaijan but what does she need to do to actually get it?
There are several, first and foremost you must have a good outside shot. Rebounds, steals and assists to turn over ratio is also very important. The challenge but UCONN woman have no problem, you must be able to pronounce the country's name in interviews. ;)

Reaction Score
Please, no more of this nonsense. You talk about blending in, in a country that has a population that consists of almost 90% foreign workers (Indian, Filipino, Nepalis,
Egyptians, etc.). There are many more Kenyans and Nigerians in Qatar than Russians or Germans. One of Qatar's three ethnic groups are descended from people brought as slaves from East Africa. I think blacks from Africa blend in as well as anyone. Of course "blending in" is never really the point.
I respect your opinion and would not try to classify it as non-sense. Those people you mentioned are mostly there as foreign workers, not representing Qatar in their international affairs, or in their national sports teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom