Tidbits | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tidbits

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
View attachment 98382

This you cheering on Donovan’s and-1?

6 weeks ago, I stopped being able to post small file screenshot photos in the super simple way I've gotten used to for the past 5 years, after the phone started saving them in an incompatible format, and I didn't want to do the learning to adjust to something new.

The photo above meets the "pics or it didn't happen" standard. I'm asking that you all just take my word for it, but I've also decided to accept and not care if you don't.

In that spirit, with a photo to 'prove' it, I found a stray piece of paper two days ago that was slated for recycling. I noticed that the reverse side had been printed on February 13, 2000. It was a list of recent posts from The Boneyard.

The listed posters were msuhr, UConn-Tao, AussieCuz, @gars44, Lark, NED UC'83, Pudge Fish, Citrus Dog, and me under my then-handle which was just my first name with last initial. It's my earliest dated support for the claim that I've been here since not long after the 1999 NC. For all I know, it was the first thread I ever started.

The title was, "Interesting thread: my $.02 (pretty long, sorry)," which sounds like me, no?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
1999 Championship game coincided with a city council meeting at which I had to present a comprehensive plan and answer questions. There were many "bathroom" and "cigarette" breaks when I went out to my truck to get a game update on the radio (no internet or cell phone then), and needless to say I was kinda distracted during the entire meeting.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Mexicans laugh at Americans every time we say avocado because it really means "lawyer" in Spanish. We brought the wrong word back from spring break.

(Trying to decipher if serious…laughing regardless)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Imagine if we had Daniel Hamilton and Jalen Adams as recruits in this environment?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Mexicans laugh at Americans every time we say avocado because it really means "lawyer" in Spanish. We brought the wrong word back from spring break.

I can see an Italian laghing about it (avvocato). In Spansih the word is abogado.

Reaction Score
1999 second round game (New Mexico) overlapped with a family funeral. Fortunately the funeral adjourned to our house and there was a TV in one bathroom. Most attendees didn't catch on that certain people were spending an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom rather than interacting with relatives.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
(Trying to decipher if serious…laughing regardless)
"abogado"

Edited to reflect that others have already addressed the above:

When a strong rebuke comes from the bench after an attorney has made an ethical lapse, a frivolous argument, or an absurd statement, is it said that the judge made abogado toast?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"abogado"
Correct. Although, many spanish speakers pronounce a "v" as a "b". I think in the etymology of the English "avocado" they took "abogado" as maybe having a v but assuming the native tongue was just pronouncing it as a B. Either way, the word is aguacate as I'm sure you know, so the guy who brought this word back got it wrong two ways.
like the non french speaking people who are wondering why Buffalo, NY is not full of Bison but it does happen to have a beautiful river...(Maybe a good offseason OT thread - non-english words we have butchered into embarrassment)

Reaction Score
Here’s a tidbit……Ozzy’s “Mama I’m Comin’ Home” was written by Lemme of Motörhead fame

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom