Ticket Price Woe (or Whoa!) | The Boneyard

Ticket Price Woe (or Whoa!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I had a notion to see the Huskies tomorrow in Hartford so I went online to shop for seats. Best seat was in the upper deck and after fees was $35. Its been a while since I attended Husky games and now I remember why. I assume I'd be on the hook for $10+ worth of parking also. I love these guys, but dropping $45 - $50 for an upper deck seat at a probable blowout... seem kinda spendy. I'd probably do it for good lower bowl seats (I know... I'm a cheap bustard).

I guess I'll have lunch with Gary, Kara, Meg and Eric tomorrow.

OBTW, I know I'm gonna see tons of lower deck seats empty (yet unavailable) that always p|55e5 me off.

Thanks SNY and Go Huskies!

PS - Makes me appreciate my $30, 4th row seats at the Sun (w/ free parking about 15-20 minute drive from home). But that's for another season. :)

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I had a notion to see the Huskies tomorrow in Hartford so I went online to shop for seats. Best seat was in the upper deck and after fees was $35. Its been a while since I attended Husky games and now I remember why. I assume I'd be on the hook for $10+ worth of parking also. I love these guys, but dropping $45 - $50 for an upper deck seat at a probable blowout... seem kinda spendy. I'd probably do it for good lower bowl seats (I know... I'm a cheap bustard).

OBTW, I know I'm gonna see tons of lower deck seats empty (yet unavailable) that always p|55e5 me off.

Thanks SNY and Go Husk
PS - Makes me appreciate my $30, 4th row seats at the Sun (w/ free parking about 15-20 minute drive from home). But that's for another season. :)
I agree with you 100%.
A few years ago, Geno was complaining about the poor attendance, and said he was going to do something about it. He didn't. All you have to do is watch the games on TV, and see hundreds of empty seats in the lower level, and many die-hard fans sitting 50 rows back in the upper level. I believe an arrangement could be produced where by a lottery draw, those sitting far away, could move down into those empty seats at half-time. We need a new Director of Athletics! In the days of the old BIG EAST, I often bought tickets for away games if I wanted decent seats. ..............I don't like watching games with binoculars!

Reaction Score
I just bought a single ticket for the Memphis game at the XL Center. I almost didn't complete the deal. The ticket is $26, but there is a $2 fee added, so it says the cost is $28. Then they added a $5 order fee. The invoice list the charge as $33 at this point. So I go to check out and it says I have to select a delivery option. Well, there is only one option -- email ticket. They add another $2 for that.

Fees are $9 and the ticket is $26. You feel like you are being ripped off, and it leaves a negative sense.

I have always bought tickets to the NCAA games at Gampel, and will continue to do that. They are good value and not riddled with fees. Probably won't attend another game at the XL Center.

Reaction Score
Three tickets for UCONN vs USF in the Sun Bowl in Tampa ran $61 through Ticketmaster. Free parking. Seats were $17 plus the Ticketmaster charges. They mailed the tickets
Seats were in Row N Section 214. That's second level but only 14 rows back total from the floor. Great seats. I think the place only seats around 8k.
I'll go every year.

psconn

Reaction Score
Three tickets for UCONN vs USF in the Sun Bowl in Tampa ran $61 through Ticketmaster. Free parking. Seats were $17 plus the Ticketmaster charges. They mailed the tickets
Seats were in Row N Section 214. That's second level but only 14 rows back total from the floor. Great seats. I think the place only seats around 8k.
I'll go every year.

Now that is a deal (notwithstanding air fare, hotel and meals). :p

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is why on the rare occasion (twice?) that I've gone into the city to watch a WNBA game, I just buy a ticket at the door. They're not selling out; I'm not paying online booking fees on top of the metro, which is already adding several dollars. One time a couple of years back pinotbear and I drove to Gampel with no ticket and got a pair at the door. Not good seats, but still closer than XL's nosebleeds.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I often bought tickets for away games if I wanted decent seats."

The good old days where you could get courtside seats at the Dunkin Center for Providence games, or even better, bleacher seats in Alumni Hall. Then there were the Holy Cross games, Seton Hall, St John's etc. Cheap seats and always available. Nowadays, if you want to go to an away game other than Temple, it means airplane tickets.

I miss the Big East - when it was the best WCBB conference in the country.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I just bought a single ticket for the Memphis game at the XL Center. I almost didn't complete the deal. The ticket is $26, but there is a $2 fee added, so it says the cost is $28. Then they added a $5 order fee. The invoice list the charge as $33 at this point. So I go to check out and it says I have to select a delivery option. Well, there is only one option -- email ticket. They add another $2 for that.

Fees are $9 and the ticket is $26. You feel like you are being ripped off, and it leaves a negative sense.

I have always bought tickets to the NCAA games at Gampel, and will continue to do that. They are good value and not riddled with fees. Probably won't attend another game at the XL Center.
gotta stop by the XL box office to avoid the fees

I get a $5.00 discount thru my employer BUT I'd be stuck in section 223 if I do it online.

and finding street parking to go to box office tickets could be a mess at times as well... feed the meter 1.00 (30 minutes) or expect a 20.00 parking ticket

Reaction Score
You can look for reasons not to go or find ways to make it work. No fees at the box office and there's always a few scalpers around at not a big price. Parking is free at Morgan St garage on weekends a 12 minute walk or $4 during the week after 5. Parked on the street today as no need to pay meters on weekends. I don't want to spend other people's money for them but considering how good this team is and it being Stewie and Mo's last XL game might have been time to spend a little more money.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A few years ago, Geno was complaining about the poor attendance, and said he was going to do something about it. He didn't.

I think his comments reflected his disappointment with the attendance for Maya Moore's final home game. He was totally clueless about what was going on with attendance in general and the effort, costs discomforts that fans put up with to support his team. His comments were sort of the last straw for me. In solitary protest to his crapping on dedicated fans, I decided that I would never enter Gampel again and I haven't. I too share the games with Meghan and Eric.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks SNY and Go Huskies!

Here's the ultimate "rip off" of last season. Last year, I attended the two UConn games in California (UC Davis & Stanford). BOTH venues charged a higher price for that game than any other home game on their schedule.

At Stanford (Maples Pavilion), I paid $55 ea. for 2 of the worse seats in the building. Normally these seats sell for between $25 -$40 depending on who the opponent is that game. Since UConn was the #1 team in the country at the time, and by far the largest draw of the year, naturally the powers that be realized they could make lots of easy extra cash, so they decided to really stick it to the fans and charge a whopping $55 a seat.

Keep in mind that this was the second time (the first was at UC Davis 3 days prior) I got the see a UConn women's game in person, and the fact that this was going to be the only time they would come this far west, I'd have paid $155 to see them.

Our seats were behind the basket on the second level (not on the floor), right next to wall with no leg room, and we were surrounded by a sea of loud and fanatic Stanford fans.

Most of the other UConn fans where to my right, on the same level, but behind the UConn bench along the side line. Much better seats. We were a blue dot surrounded by a sea of red. That was not bad enough. You remember how the game turned out. That made it ever worse.

I started to go to the tournament in Estero Florida (I would have had a much better experience), but opted to go to games close to home instead. Needless to say for a lot of reasons, that particular road trip will not be remembered fondly. Sometimes you should go with your first instinct, it's usually correct. How can 5 days in South Florida in the winter time be wrong?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the tickets are still a bargain - A Super Bowl club level ticket sold for $14,000.

Reaction Score
Being a season ticket holder with my buddy since 1998, UCONN had sold out HCC & Gampel for just about every game!
Then the winning became big-time and the fans became dog food!
BE Tournament moved from Rutgers to HCC/XL and prices went from $45.00 with free parking at the RAC to $120.00 and $20.00 parking! Lew Perkins told the BE "charge anything you want UCONN fans will pay anything to see their Huskies!"
We now pay $20.00 a ticket + a donation that has to be over $200.00 to really count toward point levels!
They used to have FREE Fan Dinners for season ticket holders on the road at Regionals! Then they charged $25.00 a person no-one went they don't have them anymore!
Friends of mine were big contributors then retirement smaller donation moved from lower XL to FF up in the oxygen sections of XL!
They were told by someone in the Ticket office, "If you don't want the G-d Da-n tickets don't buy them we have 5,000 people waiting for your seats" and hung up! They now watch the games at home! And now they very rarely sell out XL & Gampel!
Now they sell $15.00 tix with NO DONATION! 3 games package for $45.00!
I told Neal Eskin, Asst AD, UCONN is the only Div. I school that HATES their season ticket holders, and will do ANYTHING to screw them!
I now sit corner seats 2nd level at XL & Gampel for $20.00, at Bridgeport the same seats went for $70.00 + $20.00 parking! Lower level 1st row seats were listed for $170.00!
NCAA tickets for UCONN games are more expensive then any other Region!
I love UCONN players & Coaches, I'm not real thrilled at the Athletic Office and Ticket Office!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the tickets are still a bargain - A Super Bowl club level ticket sold for $14,000.
atleast there is 2 quality teams competing... not so much in the AAC or the AACT

why go thru the hassle (prices, crowds, parking and food) when you can just stay home in your undies eating your own wings and popcorn... invite family and friends over if you want to do all the hi-5ing stuff. instead of meeting outside of section 120 of the XL Center you can meet at the edge of your driveway

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
This afternoon my wife and I are going to see U Michigan women host Minnesota - friends with season tickets are on an extended trip so we'll also be taking in games against Wisconsin and Illinois.

We have courtside seats, 6th row. Cost per ticket = $8.00. I think parking will be free but can't say for sure.

If I see Warde at the game, I'll put in a plug asking him to get the Huskies into the Big Ten! ;)

psconn

Reaction Score
You can look for reasons not to go or find ways to make it work. No fees at the box office and there's always a few scalpers around at not a big price. Parking is free at Morgan St garage on weekends a 12 minute walk or $4 during the week after 5. Parked on the street today as no need to pay meters on weekends. I don't want to spend other people's money for them but considering how good this team is and it being Stewie and Mo's last XL game might have been time to spend a little more money.

Not to belabor the point because, as you suggest, we spend what we have as we choose, but I was not "looking for a way not to a go" I was actively looking for a way TO GO, and would have were it not for the price. I have attended UConn games in the upper deck of the XL... so far away I felt disconnected from the game. Not being familiar with game day ticket buying, I chose not to take a flyer on the significant drive to Hartford without the certainty of knowing I would have a decent seat at a price I was comfortable with. I applaud everyone of the 12,000+ who went. They looked and sounded great on TV.

By the way, you want great seats at a reasonable price to watch Sue, Tina, Kiah, KML, Stewie, DT, Moriah, Stef, Bria, Maya, Tiff, Renee, etc., etc., I know how you can do that... http://www.wnba.com/tickets/ and/or http://liveaccess.wnba.com/. Supporting the WNBA gives these guys a place to play in the U.S. when their college days are over and , as far as I know, it still is the highest level pro league in WBB.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
My wife and I attend a few of our home girls' games at Mizzou Arena in Columbia and pay $3 for general admission as senior citizens. Generally, we sit courtside in row 22 or higher for the first quarter and are then free to sit in any unoccupied seat for the rest of the game providing the season ticket holder does not show up. We don't bother to move, though, because we already have a good seat. Parking is ample and free. What a deal for such great entertainment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom