Throwing the Ball to the Ref After a Make | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Throwing the Ball to the Ref After a Make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Refs need to crack down on it. And if anything, it hurts UConn's ability to play fast after an opponent make.

What I noticed last night was Spencer taking time to grab the ball after Butler makes. The clock continues to run and the five second to inbound the ball doesn't start until he picks up the ball. Slowly milking the clock even further.
And that’s why you coach a kid to throw it to ref - b/c ref shd immediately hand it to nearest player and start the 5 second count. Avoids the slow play

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is the rule:

1. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown. (See Rule 10-4.1.1)
So immediately getting the ball and throwing it to the ref I guess technically could be called but it would be absurd if it was, unless the scoring player was going way out of their way to retrieve the ball. It is certainly not a required foul by the rule book.
The operative phrase there is "after a whistle is blown." If you do it on a live ball they can call it delay, but again, I think it's less likely by throwing it to the ref.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it delay the game further to just let the ball fall and wait for the other team to pick it up? I’ve just always thought it was fine if it was an immediate pass to the ref.
Great point. Keeps things quick and flowing. As opposed to standing over ball after it drops waiting for ref to grab it after it bounces three times

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I feel like it happens mostly when they inadvertently make contact with the ball after it goes through the hoop (either because they were going for a rebound under the hoop or they are on the ground and it falls on them).

Rather than just drop it off their foot and let it roll away, they toss it to the official. It never occurred to me that they were trying to gain any kind of advantage from this / nor do I feel like an advantage was ever gained…

Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about how slow we are to retrieve the ball after an opponent make then tossing it to the ref then taking our sweet time with the 5 count. They've done that a bunch recently to really grind the clock down.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was going to be about how slow we are to retrieve the ball after an opponent make then tossing it to the ref then taking our sweet time with the 5 count. They've done that a bunch recently to really grind the clock down.
This too. Our backcourt guys are very savvy.

Reaction Score
And that’s why you coach a kid to throw it to ref - b/c ref shd immediately hand it to nearest player and start the 5 second count. Avoids the slow play
So teams grabbing and holding the ball in the first half isn't to delay their opponents' offense, but to speed the opponent up before the defense is set (and avoid precious seconds to elapse without regard to whether they are winning or losing)?

It is obviously meant to delay the opposition. Whether it should be ruled delay of game by the officials is up for debate, the intention less so.

And yes, in end of game situations teams do grab the ball to limit opposition stalling. The key word there is "limit."

Reaction Score
Grabbing and holding sounds different than catching and passing. Not sure where u r going or relevance.

When you coach up tempo and the oppo is playing pace, u get the rebound and pass it to the ref.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
These are the type of monotonous threads that emerge when the team is playing well.

I guess it's better than the alternative when we lose and idiot posters trash players and/coaching.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I assumed they were just being nice and thoughtful but it makes more sense if they’re doing it to set the defense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is the rule:

1. Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after a whistle is blown. (See Rule 10-4.1.1)
So immediately getting the ball and throwing it to the ref I guess technically could be called but it would be absurd if it was, unless the scoring player was going way out of their way to retrieve the ball. It is certainly not a required foul by the rule book.

the-more-you-know.gif

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Has anybody else noticed Spencer and Newton doing this?

After a tough made basket, they'll make a point to grab the ball out of the net and toss it to the ref. It's a subtle thing, but buys us a few seconds to get back on D and shuts down any kind of a counter-break. Heady.
Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I assumed they were just being nice and thoughtful but it makes more sense if they’re doing it to set the defense.
I assumed the same think, but now I'm like shut up. Now trolls will be calling us out at their home games..... Double secret probation :(

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It could be delay of game but if done the way they do it, no ref will call it. It’s also usually a subtle flex on the finish and/or no call. I dig it.
Maybe they don't call it because it would take them even longer to retrieve it or maybe because they are just lazy at the expense of following the rules.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
During John Thompson's days at Georgetown, his players would routinely place the ball on the floor after a made basket.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Maybe they don't call it because it would take them even longer to retrieve it or maybe because they are just lazy at the expense of following the rules.

Definitely part of it. Which is my point "if done the right way, they'll never call it."

The players generally aren't taking multiple steps, grabbing the ball, slapping it, etc. That's delay of game.

If the ball falls into your chest after you finish, you SNAG it emphatically and toss it to the ref like, "BUCKET" they aren't calling delay of game on that. Just isn't practical and doesn't really solve anything.

Reaction Score
Creighton just got hit with a delay of game after a made basket in their game against Xavier. The Creighton player tipped the ball directly to the opposite side of the baseline from the ref (with no one standing there) though. I think I found the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom