Three UConn commits heading to Milford Academy | The Boneyard

Three UConn commits heading to Milford Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller making work!
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/07/three-uconn-commits-heading-to-milford.html

Three UConn commits heading to Milford Academy

The 2013 Milford Academy football team will have at least three future UConn players on its roster.

I previously reported that Jordan Fuchs, a tight end from Malvern, N.Y. who was a two-sport star at Christ the King, and cornerback-receiver Jamar Summers from Orange, N.J. were headed to Milford Academy. I just got off the phone with Milford Academy coach Bill Chaplick who confirmed that offensive tackle Chasz Wright from Woodbridge, Va. will also suit up for the Falcons.

"I like all three of them," Chaplick said. "Hopefully it will work out and they will be there in January."

Chaplick said all three are still firmly committed to UConn and he doesn't anticipate any academic issues with any of them.

Milford Academy starts practice on Aug. 10 and the Falcons opens up with a home game against Globe Institute on Aug. 24. The 12-game schedule also includes a trip to play the Yale JV squad on Oct. 20.

The Reading (Pa.) Eagle reported that UConn commit Jalan Branford will play at Fork Union Military Academy.

That leaves the destination of two more Pennsylvania products - Harrisburg linebacker Chris Britton and Dunmore defensive tackle Michael Boland.

I spoke to Harrisburg football coach Calvin Everett today and he said Britton hasn't decided on a prep school yet but that could happen at some point next week. I haven't had luck getting information of where Boland will be enrolling yet.

Reaction Score
Good news is that poster sirhypesalot looks to be wrong about summers. He posted that his source said that Summers already enrolled in a college, rumored to be raritan valley jc or Rider.

Reaction Score
Good thing our recruiting class was the bestest ever! See you guys. Never.

Reaction Score
Good thing our recruiting class was the bestest ever! See you guys. Never.

I think we are seeing the difference between FHCRE recruits and Coach P recruits. This is what happens when you gamble on someone with grade issues. You can lose a decent chunk of your class.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand how high schools can't prepare these kids.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what our track record is in terms of players like this actually making it to campus? Trevardo Williams is the only guy I can recall off the top of my head that was sent off to prep for a year and panned out.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
I just don't understand how high schools can't prepare these kids.
How are they supposed to prepare them? By just giving them the "A" and pushing them into college? I think we should give the kids opportunities to get their grades up and keep recruiting them, but at a certain point if the kid doesn't make the grade you have to move on to someone who will. You also have to project whether the kid would be an academic casualty when they do get to UCONN, even with the academic support network in place.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
I think we are seeing the difference between FHCRE recruits and Coach P recruits. This is what happens when you gamble on someone with grade issues. You can lose a decent chunk of your class.
Maybe, but HCRE had his gambles too. Jamie Nixon comes to mind.

Reaction Score
How are they supposed to prepare them? By just giving them the "A" and pushing them into college? I think we should give the kids opportunities to get their grades up and keep recruiting them, but at a certain point if the kid doesn't make the grade you have to move on to someone who will. You also have to project whether the kid would be an academic casualty when they do get to UCONN, even with the academic support network in place.

I'm not suggesting they pass them through. I just think of how many kids that might have had pro talent that never make it because they don't take school seriously. Sad.

Reaction Score
We have this conversation every year. The problem is solved, IMHO, if they have football taken away in high school unless they meet higher academic standards.

If I was a reporter I'd be camping out at high school practices and asking coaches point blank "Why do you think Jimmy Football was not able to meet the requirements to get into school ABC?"

The only thing that matters to many of these kids is football. "Higher grades or no football son" is what they need to hear.

Unfortunately parents are clueless and coaches are self seeking and gutless in many cases.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We have this conversation every year. The problem is solved, IMHO, if they have football taken away in high school unless they meet higher academic standards.

If I was a reporter I'd be camping out at high school practices and asking coaches point blank "Why do you think Jimmy Football was not able to meet the requirements to get into school ABC?"

The only thing that matters to many of these kids is football. "Higher grades or no football son" is what they need to hear.

Unfortunately parents are clueless and coaches are self seeking and gutless in many cases.
Good point but how many major programs accept kids with poor grades? We always hear that UConn sets a higher bar than others and I'm ok with that. However, if you're a big recruit and have offers from the likes of Alabama, etc, I bet you know what you need to have as a gpa. I don't know how often it happens but you rarely hear about the 5 star recruits who don't qualify academically and go to a big time program.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
It's unfair to assume every kid who ends up at FUMA (or another prep school) had an issue with grades/SAT scores.

It might be true more often than not, but IIRC, Fuchs didn't have an issue with grades. He's only been playing football about 2 years, and wanted another year of HS to develop.

Also, and I'm definitely not suggesting they pass kids through, fabricate grades, or do anything other than push academics first. But many kids don't know what offers are coming. And they might have the grades to a) remain eligible in HS and b) qualify for a full ride at a D2 or FCS school that isn't as difficult to get into as their "dream" school. It could hurt the kid to jeopardize the offers from schools where he can qualify and play, by holding him out of games and demanding he get better grades for a school that may never even offer. This isn't basketball where the kids play 20+/- game seasons, and can play AAU and gain a ton of exposure.

Reaction Score
I believe the prize of the group. Jordan Fuchs. Is only going to get more football experience and I don't think grades are an issue.

Reaction Score
Part of this is P oversigning the class and needing to put kids somewhere. In fact wasn't there an article from Summers' coach not that long ago saying his issues were cleared? Was probably just too little too late for this academic year.

But no matter how many times JUCO seems to burn us, I'll stay hopeful we'll see them some day.

Reaction Score
Jordan is fully qualified and has cleared clearinghouse. Never failed a subject
Prep school was not mandatory for him. Jordan felt it was best to improve in all
Phases of football. I promise you , it will be worth the wait. He is a physical specimen
And an athletic freak. Who works hard and does his job. Total team player

Reaction Score
It's unfair to assume every kid who ends up at FUMA (or another prep school) had an issue with grades/SAT scores.

It might be true more often than not, but IIRC, Fuchs didn't have an issue with grades. He's only been playing football about 2 years, and wanted another year of HS to develop.

Also, and I'm definitely not suggesting they pass kids through, fabricate grades, or do anything other than push academics first. But many kids don't know what offers are coming. And they might have the grades to a) remain eligible in HS and b) qualify for a full ride at a D2 or FCS school that isn't as difficult to get into as their "dream" school. It could hurt the kid to jeopardize the offers from schools where he can qualify and play, by holding him out of games and demanding he get better grades for a school that may never even offer. This isn't basketball where the kids play 20+/- game seasons, and can play AAU and gain a ton of exposure.

I understand what you're saying about qualifying for lesser schools and keeping them out wouldn't be fair.

I guess I'm talking about the many kids over the years that I've seen from CT kids committing to UConn or lesser schools, go to prep or JC and never see the field even at a Temple or Marshall because they just couldn't get it done.

To me that is due to learning disabilities never addressed, lazy habits allowed in high school and was allowed to pass even when they didn't or they were just so far behind they didn't have it in them to just get it done.

We've all heard stories of coaches who only cared about their high school coaching record and didn't do enough to help a kid who was "lost".

That's who I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between a year at Post Grad/Prep School (Milford Academy, Fork Union, Hargrave, Worcester Academy, etc...) and Junior College (Dean).

Reaction Score
By the way. This conversation is in no way directed at our guys mentioned earlier.

It was meant to be a general conversation.

Reaction Score
Only two of those entities are actually schools.

They are in the NCAA eyes and the university/colleges that accept the students so that's all that really counts. Non- qualifiers go the JUCO route.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It would be a bit entertaining when the local police force hauled you away.

In my time working in high school football... trying to hold the coaches responsible for getting the kids eligible
is a high bar. They just don't have enough access and aren't really equipped for that kind of responsibility.

Reaction Score
Jordan is fully qualified and has cleared clearinghouse. Never failed a subject
Prep school was not mandatory for him. Jordan felt it was best to improve in all
Phases of football. I promise you , it will be worth the wait. He is a physical specimen
And an athletic freak. Who works hard and does his job. Total team player

Isn't that what a RS year is for?

Reaction Score
J178Money - The NCAA Eliigibilty 5 to play 4 Clock doesn't start ticking in a PG year (except for Hockey/Tennis student athletes).

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/04/02/college-recruiting-high-school-senior.htm

"The NCAA allows athletes in all sports, except for tennis and hockey, a one year grace-period after they graduate high school. After the one-year period the NCAA can start taking away years of eligibility. The NCAA grants you five years in which you can compete during four of them. The fifth year, called a red-shirt year, allows athletes to take a season off for many different reasons, but still allows them to play for four full years."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom