Three Teams Are Undefeated (Updated) | The Boneyard

Three Teams Are Undefeated (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Conference Play is about to start after the Holidays and 10 teams are undefeated.

UConn (AAC) 10-0 with games remaining against Nebraska and Maryland before Conference Play.
Virginia Tech (ACC) 11-0 Radford and Delaware St. Lady Vol only good win.
West Virginia (B12) 11-0 Mount St Mary's. No Top 25 Wins.
Oklahoma St (B12) 10-0 Oregon St No Top 25 Wins. May lose to Oregon St a Top 25 team.
Maryland (B10) 11-0 Duquesne & UConn. UConn Game is biggest threat to undefeated season Good Louisville Win

Buffalo (Mid Amer) 8-0 Beat Duquesne. Don't know anything about teams played or to play.
California (P12) 11-0 Arkansas St. Beat Oklahoma last night
Colorado (P12) 10-0 Wyoming. Beat Kentucky in their only good game.
Utah (P12) 10-0 Northern Arizona. Guess BYU is their most impressive win. BYU is not a good team.
Miss St (SEC) 13-0 Northwestern St, Beat Texas, Oregon, Iowa St & USC. May be better then originally thought.

At most there will only be Nine undefeated teams prior to conference play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the Pac 12 teams will do a lot of sorting out in conference play - it may be the most balanced conference but doesn't appear to have a clear front running team.
The ACC, Big12, and SEC do have clear front runners so we will get some answers in conference play.
The Big10 is the big question mark - the Dec. 29 game looms large as I am not sure how much of a quality win Louisville really was - they were going through a really bad stretch of basketball, I suspect Jeff will put it together in conference play, but are they really top ten or is mid-teens their natural resting place? If MD should win they likely get to the NCAAs undefeated, if they lose do we really know any more than we did before. (OSU did defeat them twice last year so they might stumble again, but I doubt it.)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Undefeated or not, every unbeaten team, including UConn, has won at least one game by fewer than 11 points. That 11-point margin of victory is the "highest lowest" season-wide single-game MOV ever recorded. It was by UConn in 2014.

I doubt anyone goes undefeated except maybe UConn, but no one will meet or exceed that single-game MOV record UConn set in 2013-14.

In short, UConn's program is amazing. Still.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
A
Conference Play is about to start after the Holidays and 10 teams are undefeated.

UConn (AAC) 10-0 with games remaining against Nebraska and Maryland before Conference Play.
Oklahoma St (B12) 10-0 Oregon St No Top 25 Wins. May lose to Oregon St a Top 25 team.
Maryland (B10) 11-0 Duquesne & UConn. UConn Game is biggest threat to undefeated season Good Louisville Win

Buffalo (Mid Amer) 8-0 Beat Duquesne. Don't know anything about teams played or to play.
Utah (P12) 10-0 Northern Arizona. Guess BYU is their most impressive win. BYU is not a good team.
Miss St (SEC) 13-0 Northwestern St, Beat Texas, Oregon, Iowa St & USC. May be better then originally thought.

And four notable teams have only one loss so far: Baylor, Florida State, Kansas State, and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Buffalo had a one point win over UCF (10-2) whose only other loss was by 3 to Va.Tech.
UCF, with our Nakesha Sales as an asst. coach, could emerge as one of the better teams
in the AAC. That would be a pretty good turn around, considering how dreadful they
have been in recent years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Undefeated or not, every unbeaten team, including UConn, has won at least one game by fewer than 11 points. That 11-point margin of victory is the "highest lowest" season-wide single-game MOV ever recorded. It was by UConn in 2014.

I doubt anyone goes undefeated except maybe UConn, but no one will meet or exceed that single-game MOV record UConn set in 2013-14.

In short, UConn's program is amazing. Still.

Alex, I said the same thing during the summer. I said: "There will be no undefeated teams in D-1 WCBB this year". I didn't see UConn coming out of the gates this year as Lawrence Taylor (LB/New York Giants) once said "Like a bunch of crazed dogs, having some fun". A trending topic in the yard over the summer was to try and guess how many games UConn would lose this year.

With their 10-0 start, I've obviously had to walk that prediction back a bit. I never predicted which game they would lose, only that they would lose. I didn't see them running that gauntlet against the top 7 ranked teams without a loss. I'm thrilled that I and everyone else was wrong. I don't like to see our girls lose..................period!!! Go Huskies!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wyoming beats undefeated Colorado 82-75. 9 Teams Remain Undefeated.

Reaction Score
UConn is of course at the top of the list. Maryland should be a good game but I feel like the Huskies, if they play as well as when I've watched, should come out on top.

Baylor and ND aren't undefeated thanks to UConn but are probably, along with the two programs I just mentioned, in the upper echelon of teams at this point. MS State is undefeated and is very good, probably not in the same class as those first 4. MSU belongs in the next tier of good teams along with SC, FSU, Stanford.

With the exception of UConn being undefeated, this season has gone about how I expected. I figured the Huskies would have at least one loss but they keep rolling.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
VPI only had one lost last season headed into conference play.... ended up winning just 5 games in the ACC. They look to be a much better team this season. Im hoping they do well enough to make the NCAA's

A

And four notable teams have only one loss so far: Baylor, Florida State, Kansas State, and Notre Dame.

Not sure how notable Kansas State is.... but they now have two losses

Reaction Score
The Sagarin ratings tell you something about the performance & quality of competition faced so far:
  • UConn #1
  • Maryland #6
  • Miss St #7
  • WVa #17
  • Cal #28
  • VaTech #31
  • Utah #34
  • Buffalo #77

15 teams are winless - Liberty, No Dakota St, High Point, Chicago St, Alabama St, Coppin St, Florida A&M, Incarnate Word, Sam Houston St, Houston Baptist, Alcorn St, Winthrop, NC Central, Wagner, Alabama A&M
The MEAC, SWAC, Big South, and Southland conference with 3 teams each

Reaction Score
Still 8 unbeaten.
  • UConn
  • Maryland
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech
  • Utah
  • Buffalo

Previous listing of winless was showing only D-1 wins, but in looking at full schedule there are just 4:
Coppin St, Alcorn St, Sam Houston St, Chicago St

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Still 8 unbeaten.
  • UConn
  • Maryland
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech
  • Utah
  • Buffalo

Previous listing of winless was showing only D-1 wins, but in looking at full schedule there are just 4:
Which speaks to my comment earlier this season that I have never seen so many D1 teams play non-D1 competition. Just today, there were 11 games by D1 teams against non-D1 competition. As I also noted previously, it isn't the major conferences doing this.

Reaction Score

New Virginia Tech Coach Kenny Brooks--former JMU Coach--ANY WIN is a good WIN.
Kenny will make a lot of noise before he is done.

Reaction Score
7 unbeaten.
  • UConn
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech
  • Utah
  • Buffalo

Winless:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
7 unbeaten.
  • UConn
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech
  • Utah
  • Buffalo

Winless:

Buffalo just suffered its first loss of the season, to a Harvard squad that looks like the team to beat in the Ivy this year.

Utah has a major test coming up today, at UCLA.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Six undefeated teams in WCBB:
  • UConn
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech
  • Utah

Reaction Score
Buffalo just suffered its first loss of the season, to a Harvard squad that looks like the team to beat in the Ivy this year.

Utah has a major test coming up today, at UCLA.
Down 14 at the half, UTAH is lost and is no longer undefeated(in about an hour)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Now five undefeated teams in WCBB as UCLA roasts Utah.
  • UConn
  • Miss St
  • WVa
  • Cal
  • VaTech

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The best team that WVU has played all year is Auburn... and they only won that by 4. They play Baylor next week... things are gonna get real

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Some real tough conference competition awaits all remaining undefeated teams other than possibly UConn. Thankfully, UConn has already built up a tough enough OOC schedule to deflect any criticism. And of course that South Carolina game awaits as well, right?

We are so spoiled: four NCs in a row, a great ride this season , and a bevvy of talent coming in what with the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes. And we're not done recruiting 2018...

Reaction Score
Cal's next 3 games are ASU, Oregon State and Oregon. We'll see in the next week if Cal is for real.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looking at VPI's schedule... its favorable.... they get ND, Louisville, FSU, Syracuse and Miami at home...... on the road vs Duke, Miami, and NC State. They open up at home vs UNC on Monday.

Cal's next 3 games are ASU, Oregon State and Oregon. We'll see in the next week if Cal is for real.

Im not sure that any of those teams are any really that formidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom