Three Man Weave Twitter Preview - UConn #20 | The Boneyard

Three Man Weave Twitter Preview - UConn #20

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They've got the starting lineup I'd expect them to roll with all season.

I don't have any expectation of what will be the lineup beyond Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins.

Newton seems like the surest bet of the remaining players to be a starter but I don't consider him a lock nor do I think team success hinges on him being a starter. If he earns the starts and shows his worth, good for him.

I will be disappointed if Johnson can't get significant minutes this year, for me preferably as a starter. If his game doesn't translate in to at least 20 mpg with this roster, that's a big miss in player evaluation and recruiting.

Reaction Score
I don't have any expectation of what will be the lineup beyond Jackson, Sanogo and Hawkins.

Newton seems like the surest bet of the remaining players to be a starter but I don't consider him a lock nor do I think team success hinges on him being a starter. If he earns the starts and shows his worth, good for him.

I will be disappointed if Johnson can't get significant minutes this year, for me preferably as a starter. If his game doesn't translate in to at least 20 mpg with this roster, that's a big miss in player evaluation and recruiting.
Newton is a lock, Hurley has made that clear from the day he stepped onto campus. Agreed on Johnson though, the ceiling of this team is raised considerably if he can give us good minutes at the 4

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Interesting they have Karaban B6 that appears to be outside this boards expectations.

Reaction Score
Newton is a lock, Hurley has made that clear from the day he stepped onto campus. Agreed on Johnson though, the ceiling of this team is raised considerably if he can give us good minutes at the 4

Amazing news. He was always such an enigma, knowing we have amother legit weapon on the team is fantastic.

Alleyne and Diarra are proven contributors. Karaban most of us think will give good minutes.

Seems like we could have some real depth to 8 guys or more this year. We were anticipating too much freshman production last time around... this year we have some legit d1 experience and high skill levels.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Really hoping we roll with Samson/Karaban to start the season. You can always fall back on Alleyne if the lineup is challenged offensively. But bringing a scorer like that off the bench would also be something we haven’t had in years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I expect Newton to be starting. Bottom line is he hasn't proven anything yet on a Hirley coached team so I'll leave door open he may not start.

Put another way I'd be beyond shocked if Jackson, Hawkins or Sanogo don't start. I'd be surprised I'd Newton doesn't start.

Reaction Score
They always do a good job.

You have to have Wyoming Top 40 though. Barring injury top 25.

Reaction Score

Rothstein has us at 24

Other relevant opponents:
1. UNC (potential PK85 opponent)
3. Creighton
14. Villanova
18. Oregon (1st Round PK85)
20. Xavier
24. UConn
30. Seton Hall
35. Michigan State (potential PK85 opponent)
36. Alabama (potential PK85 opponent)
39. Oklahoma State
41. St John's
42. Florida
44. Providence

Reaction Score

Rothstein has us at 24

Other relevant opponents:
1. UNC (potential PK85 opponent)
3. Creighton
14. Villanova
18. Oregon (1st Round PK85)
20. Xavier
24. UConn
30. Seton Hall
35. Michigan State (potential PK85 opponent)
36. Alabama (potential PK85 opponent)
39. Oklahoma State
41. St John's
42. Florida
44. Providence

Some good opportunities for quality wins this year

Reaction Score
I think we're a bit under the radar and hopefully the staff is using this as ammunition with the team.

Reaction Score
One thing
The thing with this team is it's hard to predict how it will turn out. So many new pieces. There's talent, but it depends on how everything clicks. Wide range of possible outcomes.
One thing for certain is they are big at the guard position. The team also have a bunch of legit shooters and the team foul shooting should be stellar. Exciting to imagine what can be.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think we’ve been underrated, but not by these guys. How many teams have 3 double digit scorers returning? One of which a top 5 player at his position? Along with that two former top 50 wings that every analyst I’ve seen projects as improving, and some putting either of them on draft boards. We have the talent to compete for a top 3 seed.

Pre season rankings should always be based on paper/talent projections, otherwise teams like Duke/Kentucky couldn’t be ranked to start the year. We obviously learn which teams are real by playing the games.

Reaction Score
A
I think we’ve been underrated, but not by these guys. How many teams have 3 double digit scorers returning? One of which a top 5 player at his position? Along with that two former top 50 wings that every analyst I’ve seen projects as improving, and some putting either of them on draft boards. We have the talent to compete for a top 3 seed.

Pre season rankings should always be based on paper/talent projections, otherwise teams like Duke/Kentucky couldn’t be ranked to start the year. We obviously learn which teams are real by playing the games.
Agreed- its difficult to get great analysis across top top 75 teams. Most pre season predictions are based on recruiting stars for newcomers being added to roster incumbents. I think if analysts did the deeper dive on UConn 2022-23, they'd see a roster that has a lot of versatility and style compatability. If we stay healthy, I think we'll end up in the 16-20 range.

Reaction Score
The thing with this team is it's hard to predict how it will turn out. So many new pieces. There's talent, but it depends on how everything clicks. Wide range of possible outcomes.

Scoop has it correct. Lots can happen with this multitude of various talent. While the experience is very nice they haven’t played together so it will be interesting as the season progresses. It seems like the smaller lineups have the edge but besides Sanogo and Andre who will rebound? We owned the boards last year on both ends and with the smaller lineups some of these guys averaged 2-3 rebounds guessing many of those were long caroms. If you don’t shoot great and don’t rebound it will be tough to win.

I mean it’s a talented team but can the staff mold it into a special squad?

Can’t wait until October.

Reaction Score
Scoop has it correct. Lots can happen with this multitude of various talent. While the experience is very nice they haven’t played together so it will be interesting as the season progresses. It seems like the smaller lineups have the edge but besides Sanogo and Andre who will rebound? We owned the boards last year on both ends and with the smaller lineups some of these guys averaged 2-3 rebounds guessing many of those were long caroms. If you don’t shoot great and don’t rebound it will be tough to win.

I mean it’s a talented team but can the staff mold it into a special squad?

Can’t wait until October.
6 foot 5 guards will get more than their share of rebounds.

Reaction Score
6 foot 5 guards will get more than their share of rebounds.

Diarra listed 6’2
Newton listed 6’5
Alleyne listed 6’3
Joey C listed 6’3
AJ we know will get his.

Ok so according to you Newton will get his share then. Remember listed is usually
1 to 1 1/2 more than actual. I love our size at guard don’t get me wrong no matter. But people are going to need to crash and box out more than they have in the past.

Just think we will need something out of Karaban/Johnson or Springs/Clingan.

Reaction Score
Diarra listed 6’2
Newton listed 6’5
Alleyne listed 6’3
Joey C listed 6’3
AJ we know will get his.

Ok so according to you Newton will get his share then. Remember listed is usually
1 to 1 1/2 more than actual. I love our size at guard don’t get me wrong no matter. But people are going to need to crash and box out more than they have in the past.

Jackson is one of the best rebounding wings in the country. Putting him at the 4 is not going to turn rebounding into a weakness. Hawkins has NBA size and can sky. You don't need anyone other than your tallest 3 guys to defensive rebound. In fact, it's better if your guards aren't mucking around in there so they can get outlet passes.

Reaction Score
Diarra listed 6’2
Newton listed 6’5
Alleyne listed 6’3
Joey C listed 6’3
AJ we know will get his.

Maybe I’m being optimistic, but I think we’ll get production from all three of Karaban, Johnson, and Clingan. I think there will be fierce competition for playing time on this team.

Reaction Score
Diarra listed 6’2
Newton listed 6’5
Alleyne listed 6’3
Joey C listed 6’3
AJ we know will get his.

And then there is Jordan Hawkins. So, our likely starting 1-2 guards are both 6'5" and you can sprinkle in AJax as a 1/3 hybrid... that's what I was referring to... :)

Reaction Score
And then there is Jordan Hawkins. So, our likely starting 1-2 guards are both 6'5" and you can sprinkle in AJax as a 1/3 hybrid... that's what I was referring to... :)

Newton almost 5 a game from the point is good. Let’s see what happens, they will figure it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom