Thoughts on the Big East teams | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the Big East teams

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) Marquette (16-4 Projected BE record)) - Team to beat in the Big East. They have everything, shooting, inside play, rebounding, defense, speed, savvy, guts at crunch time. I think they are a little better than UConn right now but it will be close among the top 3 in the Big East.

2) UConn (16-4)

3) Creighton (15-5) - I think McDermott upgraded by losing Nembhard and Kaluma. Ashworth is really good, and Miller, Ferabello and King have improved a lot. I like this Traudf guy too. I would play King and Kalkbrenner together. King is so good, and he doesn't get more run because he can't shoot 3's, but he is such a plus player he just needs to be on the court more. The bench is better this season, and McDermott needs to use it so the team is fresh in March.

Gap

4) Providence (12-8) - Solid 7 to 10 seed. Really good defensively, the new players are blending in well, and Hopkins is a decent "go to" player for a 20ish win team. Oduro is really good too. This team is not as easily hateable with Cooley's "Clutch and Grab" defense and Flopapalooza gone.

5) St. Johns (11-9) - Looks decent. Soriano is off to a great start, and the mix and match roster is playing well, although Jenkins might need a yellow light on some of his shots. Utah and North Texas are solid wins. Assuming they get past BCU today, they are going to have a reasonable OOC record for a bubble team. I expect St. Johns to get better as the season goes on, and they should go 8-0 against the bottom of the league.

6) Villanova (11-9) - It is one thing to have a down year, but Neptune is blowing it this season with a Sweet 16 caliber roster. Imagine how angry this board would be if UConn had beaten UCLA and UNC, but lost to Pennsylvania, St. Josephs and Drexel. How is that even possible? I would not be shocked if Villanova won 14 games in Big East play. I also wouldn't be shocked if they won 7. The team looks like it is on the verge of falling apart in every close game, and that is on the coach.

7) Butler (10-10) - I think we got what we needed out of Butler, which is a solid non-conference performance and a computer ranking that will help the league. I think this is a savvy, veteran team that will also have trouble hanging athletically in the Big East. They were at those low majors for a reason. Matta and the veteran players seem to be having a calming effect on Posh Alexander, who is playing under control and looks a lot better on Butler. Most .500 teams are mediocre at both ends, but Butler is really good offensively, and weak defensively. They can score consistently on just about anyone. This means they can pull an upset, but they have trouble getting stops. Butler will be in some interesting games.

8) Xavier (8-12) - At the end of last season, Xavier expected two All-Big East caliber players in Freemantle and Hunter to come back this year, and instead, both players' careers may be done. I think some of the bad shots Xavier takes are because after Ousmane they are getting nothing inside. Claude is pretty good, and Olivari and McKnight are solid, but any time any of them goes to the rim there is help because the opposing team's forwards leave Xavier's bigs with impunity. Even in the Cincinnati games, Xavier's forwards must have got stuffed 4 times on dump offs that should have been easy dunks. I don't see Xavier playing in the postseason. I only have Xavier at 8 wins because the next three teams are so bad.

Gap

9) Seton Hall (5-15) - Can't shoot from outside and Bediako is the only inside threat SHU has and he is not playing or getting the ball enough. A team can't win at all in a major conference playing 5 guards that are mediocre at best from deep, and this team is not even that strong defensively anymore.

10) Georgetown (4-16) - bad, but there are flickers of light with this team. Played well and should have beat TCU. Could jump SHU.

11) Depaul (2-18) - This team is terrible, which makes an easy win over Louisville even more fun.

Reaction Score
I don’t know where Villanova will finish the year, but they were not good yesterday against a horrible UCLA team. Now, they were without Moore, but it was only 45-all at the 6-minute mark, and not because of good defense. Far cry from a couple years ago when they had multiple weapons and a disciplined game plan.

Reaction Score
I think Butler is this years dark horse team. St John’s runs a lot through Soriano and they have a lot of mid-major transfers. Pitino had his work cut out for him this year. Xavier is struggling without Freemantle this year. Nova is very inconsistent. Providence has been tested twice and come up short once with Oklahoma blowing them out.

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 2-18

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think Butler is this years dark horse team. St John’s runs a lot through Soriano and they have a lot of mid-major transfers. Pitino had his work cut out for him this year. Xavier is struggling without Freemantle this year. Nova is very inconsistent. Providence has been tested twice and come up short once with Oklahoma blowing them out.

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 4-16
We are going to lose more than 3 games.

We will probably lose @ Creighton, @ Providence, and @ Marquette. I expect one road loss to a mid-tier team and then one head scratcher home loss. Going 17-3 in the BE is almost impossible.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We are going to lose more than 3 games.

We will probably lose @ Creighton, @ Providence, and @ Marquette. I expect one road loss to a mid-tier team and then one head scratcher home loss. Going 17-3 in the BE is almost impossible.
At Providence.

Someone needs to show you the door.

Reaction Score

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 2-18
115-105? If my math is correct, the total in-conference record needs to be 110-110, no? Unless teams figure out how to win without their opponent losing.

Reaction Score
So it hasn't been an issue since the tournament started last March, but if we're going to beat two really good teams in Marquette and Creighton for the Big East title we are going to have to win some close games along the way. We won't get there with 16 or 17 blow out wins.

Reaction Score

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 2-18
I'd be really surprised if anyone wins 17 or more games in conference. 16-4 is probably the best someone will do.

Reaction Score

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 2-18
Can you believe soriano is 8 of 9 from 3

Reaction Score

1 Marquette - 18-2
2 UConn - 17-3
3 Creighton - 16-4
4 Butler - 12-8
5 Nova - 11-9
6 Providence - 10-10
7 Xavier - 9-11
8 St John’s - 8-12
9 Georgetown - 7-13
10 Hall - 5-15
11 DePaul - 2-18
Georgetown will not win 7 games. Seton hall can’t score but is much better. Flip those 2. Depaul can only win 2 if they beat Georgetown twice. No chance butler wins more games than st johns, providence or nova. Those 3 are tournament teams. Butler nit

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As far as the tournament goes:

UConn/Creighton/Marquette - locks.

There could be two to four additional bids for the conference.

Possibilities - PC, Xavier, St John's, Villanova.

Highly unlikely - Seton Hall, Butler.

No shot in hell - Georgetown, DePaul.

Reaction Score
115-105? If my math is correct, the total in-conference record needs to be 110-110, no? Unless teams figure out how to win without their opponent losing.
I appreciate you taking the time and checking the math.

1702251543678.gif

Reaction Score
1) Marquette (16-4 Projected BE record)) - Team to beat in the Big East. They have everything, shooting, inside play, rebounding, defense, speed, savvy, guts at crunch time. I think they are a little better than UConn right now but it will be close among the top 3 in the Big East.

2) UConn (16-4)

3) Creighton (15-5) - I think McDermott upgraded by losing Nembhard and Kaluma. Ashworth is really good, and Miller, Ferabello and King have improved a lot. I like this Traudf guy too. I would play King and Kalkbrenner together. King is so good, and he doesn't get more run because he can't shoot 3's, but he is such a plus player he just needs to be on the court more. The bench is better this season, and McDermott needs to use it so the team is fresh in March.

Gap

4) Providence (12-8) - Solid 7 to 10 seed. Really good defensively, the new players are blending in well, and Hopkins is a decent "go to" player for a 20ish win team. Oduro is really good too. This team is not as easily hateable with Cooley's "Clutch and Grab" defense and Flopapalooza gone.

5) St. Johns (11-9) - Looks decent. Soriano is off to a great start, and the mix and match roster is playing well, although Jenkins might need a yellow light on some of his shots. Utah and North Texas are solid wins. Assuming they get past BCU today, they are going to have a reasonable OOC record for a bubble team. I expect St. Johns to get better as the season goes on, and they should go 8-0 against the bottom of the league.

6) Villanova (11-9) - It is one thing to have a down year, but Neptune is blowing it this season with a Sweet 16 caliber roster. Imagine how angry this board would be if UConn had beaten UCLA and UNC, but lost to Pennsylvania, St. Josephs and Drexel. How is that even possible? I would not be shocked if Villanova won 14 games in Big East play. I also wouldn't be shocked if they won 7. The team looks like it is on the verge of falling apart in every close game, and that is on the coach.

7) Butler (10-10) - I think we got what we needed out of Butler, which is a solid non-conference performance and a computer ranking that will help the league. I think this is a savvy, veteran team that will also have trouble hanging athletically in the Big East. They were at those low majors for a reason. Matta and the veteran players seem to be having a calming effect on Posh Alexander, who is playing under control and looks a lot better on Butler. Most .500 teams are mediocre at both ends, but Butler is really good offensively, and weak defensively. They can score consistently on just about anyone. This means they can pull an upset, but they have trouble getting stops. Butler will be in some interesting games.

8) Xavier (8-12) - At the end of last season, Xavier expected two All-Big East caliber players in Freemantle and Hunter to come back this year, and instead, both players' careers may be done. I think some of the bad shots Xavier takes are because after Ousmane they are getting nothing inside. Claude is pretty good, and Olivari and McKnight are solid, but any time any of them goes to the rim there is help because the opposing team's forwards leave Xavier's bigs with impunity. Even in the Cincinnati games, Xavier's forwards must have got stuffed 4 times on dump offs that should have been easy dunks. I don't see Xavier playing in the postseason. I only have Xavier at 8 wins because the next three teams are so bad.

Gap

9) Seton Hall (5-15) - Can't shoot from outside and Bediako is the only inside threat SHU has and he is not playing or getting the ball enough. A team can't win at all in a major conference playing 5 guards that are mediocre at best from deep, and this team is not even that strong defensively anymore.

10) Georgetown (4-16) - bad, but there are flickers of light with this team. Played well and should have beat TCU. Could jump SHU.

11) Depaul (2-18) - This team is terrible, which makes an easy win over Louisville even more fun.
The team to beat in the Bug East is the best team in the country. We are better than Marquette
At Providence.

Someone needs to show you the door.
we are at PeeCee the last game of the regular season. We might be going for a perfect conference season. I do bleed national flag blue

Reaction Score
One stat about Seton Hall that blows my mind.

Al-Amir Dawes is a perimeter threat, but if you remove his stats, the rest of the Seton Hall team only shoots 21.5% of their FGAs from three.

Wonder if Hurley will experiment with more zone when we play Seton Hall next week.

Reaction Score

Al-Amir Dawes is a perimeter threat, but if you remove his stats, the rest of the Seton Hall team only shoots 21.5% of their FGAs from three.

Wonder if Hurley will experiment with more zone when we play Seton Hall next week.
You are an experienced hoop guy and a real UConn fan. Love your scouting reports. You really think DH might play more than one possession of zone? I would think not a chance

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

when hell freezes over
but I agree 150% with your desire/ponder

caw

Reaction Score
You are an experienced hoop guy and a real UConn fan. Love your scouting reports. You really think DH might play more than one possession of zone? I would think not a chance

He has pulled out zone on occasion but you are right it is usually to mess with a team after a timeout, or at a key possession.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I expect to lose at Marquette, at Creighton, and pick one at St John’s, Villanova, and one head scratcher. And an at home loss or two.

16-4 or 15-5 sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Marquette is vulnerable whenever their center goes to the bench. They try to compensate with disruptive defensive quickness and intensity and we will see if that works vs us and Creighton. In big games it will come down to 3 point shots falling for Creighton when another team like us can match Kalkbrenner. They are excellent from 3 but seem to have a clunker here and there like Colorado State. When I have watched PC, Hopkins has sucked, their center I'm not impressed, and the guards are frantic. Carter and Pierre are holding that team together and aren't enough. I predict PC gets 0 wins vs big 3. Nova should be better than they are. They get into the lane and kick the ball someplace else just like classic Nova teams, but it just doesn't work out the same. I think Dixon has lost too much weight. It might be better for his nba chances, but not as a center for nova. I'm happy for Butler fans that they can beat anybody but the big 3. St Johns just isn't jelling yet, they miss a lot of shots, and Soriano can have a bigger impact than he has. Nova and St Johns are the 2 most likely teams to trip up big 3 teams. Xavier maybe, but will lose a lot for reasons others have pointed out, I feel bad for their fans that they lost their season to injuries before it started. Hall will fall apart as a team after they lose a bunch. Depaul won't win a big east game and the coach will and should be out. Georgetown might come close here and there and end up winning 4-5x.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom