Thoughts on Stanford game | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Stanford game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I was at Mohegan and missed a couple spurts in each half. But I saw enough to ruin my buzz:

Nastic - he would last about 5 minutes before I planted a wild elbow to this adams apple. He for whatever reason gets away with murder, but in turn our guys aren't bright enough to combat it so good for him.

Amida - let me start by saying I am scared, I am scared he will never fulfill many of your dreams. To continue to be that stupid on defense at this point is alarming. He still hasn't figured out Nastic is a righty :eek: and he doesn't move his feet or EVER fight to front his guy. I have read where people believe there were tricky tack fouls or phantom fouls and I disagree. He's always hooking because his feet aren't ready because basically he doesn't move them. Seriously, how many times can you get into foul trouble in big games in which you are needed and not learn? LOL at those expecting him to go this year.

Kentan - can't play against big people and his help defense is proving to be lost. Not giving up but his impact has waned just like Amida and it's not coaching, it's just not taking it from practice to the game. The time Boat got picked on foul line extended and his guy was the picker, Randle rolled to the hoop and got the lay off an alley oop, he was holding onto his guy still when reality was he HAD TO help on Randle. Easy read and he was clueless. That's just one mind you. Long way to go here.

I could go over every guy but those 2 right there, starters and talented players are the guys we need to bring their games up to a consistency worth discussing. Yeah Nolan can't score, TSam couldn't follow up a good game with another, Boat can't make a shot and took some bad ones, DHam didn't finish on some big drives, Cassell Jr made some 3's but can't guard anyone, Purvis had a nice game but while his mid range game was very good he tried to take it too far a couple of times blah blah blah blah blah.

Reality is when you watch this team, you have to be concerned their 2 bigs of impact aren't getting better nor are they very intelligent basketball players. By the way, they aren't the only one's there but that's for another day. They both are young, get frustrated, get lost, get mauled and allow it never playing physically proactively. If UConn hoops is to get to where we expect, these are the pillars which need to be built. There's nothing else on its way from what I see and for now, those big steps backward are the main reason for where we stand today.

Reaction Score
Mau, spot on. Brimah gets called for fouls because hasn't learned how to get position on D and not fight with his hands and arms. He is constantly on the wrong side of the offensive player. When the offensive player moves to the other side of the block he puts his arms in extended from his body. All the refs see is his arms flinging everywhere.

Facey is supposed to be our rebounded and was missing in action. Not taking into account all the missed bunny layups.

Phil is Phil and no one should expect anything else. Last year we were able to spread the floor. And when we ran pick and roll the defending team had to go over the top or switch which then put Phil either by himself rolling to the basket or a smaller guy on him. They don't have to do that this year as to we don't have anyone who can pull up and hit a 3 besides Boat and he isn't a very good at it right now. Phil can't shoot over anyone and I mean no one. It's kind of a waste of time throwing the ball into him. That spin move double pump move isn't working. Bigs are sitting on the pump them swatting his or he's traveling.

I agree also could go over everyone's game. To many weaknesses on this team with not enough specialty players. Like Gif or Kromah .

Reaction Score
I've used this analogy before, but I'd like Brimah to treat the first half like a guy sitting at the poker table with a bunch of stacks of chips. You don't have to win every hand - you can learn to read the other folks at the table, pick up their tells, etc.

I don't mind if he doesn't get in an early wrestling match fighting for position or if someone scores over him as he stays on his feet. Feel the other guy out, feel the refs out, etc. Then maybe crank it up a notch when you feel you have your opponent's tendencies down.

All that requires a certain mental discipline that's maybe tough to master. How do you get yourself amped up to play pregame, listen to fire and brimstone speeches about needing the win to salvage the season, and then stay composed? Good QB's do it. Hoops guys who have been playing a while know how to do it. A cerebral guy like Okafor could generally do it (he stayed out of foul trouble better than any shot blocker I've seen - Duke game wasn't his fault).

Reaction Score
So why did AB not do do something useful last summer - like go to BIG BOY camp????

Reaction Score
sledog said:
So why did AB not do do something useful last summer - like go to BIG BOY camp????

a) he had shoulder surgery that kept him out of action for 2-3 months

b) you don't think he's improved since last year?

Reaction Score
He had a torn labrum and still improved. He came in as a suyprise find and a work in progress and he will leave as one. He and Ollie & Co., are doing great. But, we want more.

Reaction Score
749.jpg

Reaction Score
He had a torn labrum and still improved. He came in as a suyprise find and a work in progress and he will leave as one. He and Ollie & Co., are doing great. But, we want more.
Can you please elaborate on why you think they're doing great with a 9-7 record that include losses to Yale, Temple and other troubling losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom