Thoughts on Sanogo’s minutes allocation? | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Sanogo’s minutes allocation?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Strangest thing I’ve seen. Multiple games now he’s either started or gotten a bunch of early minutes and hasn’t seen the court the rest of the game. I guess we’re not really in a position to let him play through his defensive mistakes but my lord at times he has looked great. He takes up so much lateral space, is an immovable object and has shown nice touch and soft hands. I’d really like to see him play extended stretches. Especially late in the game when teams are winded. Hurley seems to be playing motivational head games with him? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Strangest thing I’ve seen. Multiple games now he’s either started or gotten a bunch of early minutes and hasn’t seen the court the rest of the game. I guess we’re not really in a position to let him play through his defensive mistakes but my lord at times he has looked great. He takes up so much lateral space, is an immovable object and has shown nice touch and soft hands. I’d really like to see him play extended stretches. Especially late in the game when teams are winded. Hurley seems to be playing motivational head games with him? Thoughts?

I have to assume that Hurley was sending him a message about his defense yesterday. He was clearly showing enough in practice to start

Expect him to get 15 mins a game going forward at least. If not? I'll be concerned about how well we are able to recruit talented bigs going forward. A top 75 big barely playing is a bad look.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I don't see this as a big mystery.

His practice, and his work ethic are being rewarded by Coach Hurley, with some starts.

To the extent that he is effective "in game", he reaps minutes.

He needs the game minutes to improve his development/game. And starts are motivation/reward.

To the extent that Josh is providing the necessary "in game" effectiveness, Josh gets the minutes.

This ain't rocket surgery.

Reaction Score
He’s our best rebounder and it isn’t really close, but the defensive lapses hurt us, and offensively, Josh has more of a scoring arsenal then he does. I just wish he had a couple other cupcake games to get more comfortable.
Have you watched the minutes he has played? He hasn't really contributed in a while. Hurley started him based on his work in practice but it hasn't translated into good minutes in games --yet. He will continue to get chances.

Martin is as good a rebounder and you could make case for Whaley as well. Sanogo averages 3.4 rebounds a game in 11+ minutes a game. Carlton averages 6.5 rebounds a game in 19+ minutes a game. So to say Sanogo is our best rebounder "it really isn't close" is not supportable by data.

Reaction Score
Gotta play the players that work best as a team. Not always the best players but the right players.

Reaction Score
I thought it was odd he started and then didn't play until garbage time essentially.

First, I thought maybe Hurley didn't like the couple buckets that the other big guy got (he made some nice moves). Even after they were in foul trouble, he still didn't go in so my thought it was 'now' a teaching moment.

Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first 5+ minutes before he got yanked. He kept his guy scoreless and off the offensive boards. He was maybe late once on help defense that resulted in a basket for DePaul but I wouldn't say I saw anything that bad about his defense. If he was benched to send a message about porous defense, I didn't see the evidence.

Reaction Score
I thought it was odd he started and then didn't play until garbage time essentially.

First, I thought maybe Hurley didn't like the couple buckets that the other big guy got (he made some nice moves). Even after they were in foul trouble, he still didn't go in so my thought it was 'now' a teaching moment.
Hurley said Sanogo was better than Josh in practice all week so he earned the start but he didn't know where he needed to be in the game. The Covid shutdowns have hurt the freshman much more than anyone but clearly Hurley loves him.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I just re-watched the first 5+ minutes before he got yanked. He kept his guy scoreless and off the offensive boards. He was maybe late once on help defense that resulted in a basket for DePaul but I wouldn't say I saw anything that bad about his defense. If he was benched to send a message about porous defense, I didn't see the evidence.
I don't disagree with you, but....

I have always believed that there are aspects of a player's development, points of emphasis in practice, if you will, that need to translate into the game environment.

Coach and staff know what these are. They know what.they are looking for/at. Casual fans, like me, not so much.

Trusting Coach and the staff to bring the players along.....while winning games, in the process.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs more minutes. Blah blah teachable moment, I get it but as @Peacefrog noted he really didn’t do anything that merits him riding the pine the rest of the game. He’s too talented. Take him out, let him know your unhappy then put him back in later and pull him again if it happens again. Hurleys leash seems too short sometimes.

Reaction Score
Hurley said Sanogo was better than Josh in practice all week so he earned the start but he didn't know where he needed to be in the game. The Covid shutdowns have hurt the freshman much more than anyone but clearly Hurley loves him.
This....Hurley said he's "lost" on defense right now & it's always going to be defense first with Hurley.

We'll have Akok back soon as well so his minutes will be game to game & depend on Carlton, Whaley getting in foul trouble as well. He's the future though but this year I don't expect consistent 20 minutes.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The thing I like about Hurley’s strategy is you can always earn minutes. Ie, all the bigs have no excuse to not go hard every minute of every practice and every game because it’s clear what you are showing right now will earn or lose you the next minute of playing time.

Hopefully they are managing Sanogos confidence and expectations behind the scenes... Im sure they are

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs more minutes. Blah blah teachable moment, I get it but as @Peacefrog noted he really didn’t do anything that merits him riding the pine the rest of the game. He’s too talented. Take him out, let him know your unhappy then put him back in later and pull him again if it happens again. Hurleys leash seems too short sometimes.
I actually don’t think the plan was to bench him for the rest of the game but it became hard to get Josh off the floor given how he was playing. He was a key in building the 20 pt league. #1 priority is winning games

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He’s our best rebounder and it isn’t really close, but the defensive lapses hurt us, and offensively, Josh has more of a scoring arsenal then he does. I just wish he had a couple other cupcake games to get more comfortable.
I think Tyrese might have something to say about that

Reaction Score
I love how Josh feeds off the fact that Sanogo starts over him. It works in our favor when he’s coming off the bench. If Sanogo plays well it’s a win-win.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
I actually don’t think the plan was to bench him for the rest of the game but it became hard to get Josh off the floor given how he was playing. He was a key in building the 20 pt league. #1 priority is winning games
Yeah, that’s a valid point. That few of minutes just seemed a little extreme and with Whaley having an off night there were minutes somewhere. Bottom line, the dude is super talented and regardless of his shortcomings, I just don’t think sticking him on the bench is the right answer. That being said, I know nothing about coaching and I’m not making $3M/ yr to make those decisions so I will shut up now.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, were in Big East play and the number 1 priority is winning games. If Adama had a few more cupcake games then we could talk about Hurley's leash with younger guys, but in this weird scenario I don't think you can question his decision of not taking Josh off the court with how well he was playing.

Reaction Score
I have to assume that Hurley was sending him a message about his defense yesterday. He was clearly showing enough in practice to start

Expect him to get 15 mins a game going forward at least. If not? I'll be concerned about how well we are able to recruit talented bigs going forward. A top 75 big barely playing is a bad look.
Lol. If you were talking about a top 10 player that might apply

Reaction Score
A top 75 big barely playing is a bad look.
Xavier Foster is getting 8 minutes per game.
Walker Kessler is getting 8 minutes per game.
Mark Williams is getting 8 minutes per game.
Mady Sissoko is getting 5 minutes per game.
Corey Walker isn't playing.

All of these freshmen bigs were ranked higher than Adama. If there's a position where PT is slowly increased, it's bigs.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
At least he was engaged on the bench. At one point when Josh made a big bucket and drew the foul, Sanogo was the first to stand up off the bench and go nuts for him. Gotta love that support rather than sulking about lack of minutes. I think Hurley has a word for that...starts with a C...

Reaction Score
wasnt akok starting and almost leading the team in mpg last year before he got hurt?

even if he wasnt i'd similarly expect clingan to get ~10 mpg as a frosh when sanogo and brown are juniors. if the young bigs wanna avg 30 mpg outta the gate i guess they can go to cuse lol!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom