Thoughts On All Access | The Boneyard

Thoughts On All Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pretty cool. We should have made this a game thread ...well an all access thread.

I made sure I taped it for a reference, a bench mark, to refer to come the end of this year. Remember, a lot of this was filmed at the very beginning of the season.

Okay, so what did you think?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As i was watching that, all that kept going through my mind was how incredibly lucky we are here at Uconn to get that quality of programming multiple times every year! Wow!
And I don't know how HBO is going to top that with their show.

Special team, special coaches, special program - and the coverage to match it - special!

Reaction Score
If someone could post a link for those of us out here in the hinterlands, that would be great...! :)

Reaction Score
Such a great night. We are extremely luck as fans to get such great programming. As always the game broadcast is outstanding and that All Access was for more than anyone could hope for.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Best reality television available IMO. Don't even know where to start on the positives and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it. Among the positives ,I think Shea saying that Geno wants the team to get as far away from basketball as possible once practice is over. Camera pans to Gabby: "Welcome to my crib", she says, and if the word crib were not old school enough her refuge away from basketball are vinyl albums complete with a turn table. If you don't know what those are I got no time or love for you!
On the negative side I'm beginning to share @RockyMTblue2 concern about "the public airing" of some of some of the lashings these players are taking. Spoiler alert: It was not just KLS.
Overall I just wish there was more general joy & celebration about the remarkable things that this team has accomplished. The aftermath of the FSU game in this episode was like the team had just survived a fatal car crash, Baylor halftime and aftermath was more like a funeral procession for the demise of all things UCONN WBB- it was as if a loss was presumed by everyone except the players. The monumental win at ND was barely mentioned. Maybe I'm the one that that has to adjust and not expect joy from this reality TV show.

Reaction Score
I agree that we are fortunate that SNY has given us this gem of a series. I watched it two times last night and will probably watch it a dozen more times before it is retired from my DVR.

I disagree with those who say that they should not show the direct and harsh moments of practice. One, if those moments are not shown we would get a warped view of how these teams are made. It would stray further and further from the reality of UConn. This is the fire that forges the steel. Two, it shows how tough these women are. They listen to harsh criticism and they don't collapse. They learn to incorporate the information and produce the incredible results we see. Three, it is a lesson on how elite athletes can be taught and motivated. Four, it is the honesty that Geno and staff shows that make the praise more honest and heartwarming. You know they are not saying it because they always say nice things or because the camera is on or because it will be edited to show only the good.

I love the insight into the coaches mind, their concerns and how they are learning about the team. I love that the team hears the criticism and fights back and evolves into incredible athletes and incredible women.

I admire the team and the coaches the more I see of them -- both the harshness and the hugs.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if SNY will be re-playing this show? If so, when?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if SNY will be re-playing this show? If so, when?
I believe the next airing will be on January 9th according to my TV guide.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the most interesting moments was during the Baylor game when Geno yells out to Danger, "Win the game Crystal, " and she proceeds to do exactly that, followed by the stunning hug after the game. While Danger is clearly a work in progress, once she gets comfortable in her PG role, I suspect there will be more nights when Geno asks her to step up and "win the game."

Reaction Score
Here's what's on YouTube at the moment: . This is a little over 6 minutes, so I'm assuming it's only a partial. However, this came out so fast we may get the whole hog soon.
I should say that I was incredibly impressed by Meghan Culmo's comment: "Only he can get this out of them." (Wondering if I should capitalize the "h.") And Geno following with his primary objective of getting everything out of every player who goes through the program. Are we talking "blood, sweat, and tears"? Of course; we've seen all of these fluids--and more.

Reaction Score
The most telling part was when geno said the team falls apart when they take kls off the court. That just shows who is the most important player on the team to the coaches and imo she is. As i've said before this team will go as far as kls takes them. She will be an unstoppable force the next couple years and if they win the nc this season they will get to 7 in a row when she graduates.

Reaction Score
The most telling part was when geno said the team falls apart when they take kls off the court. That just shows who is the most important player on the team to the coaches and imo she is. As i've said before this team will go as far as kls takes them. She will be an unstoppable force the next couple years and if they win the nc this season they will get to 7 in a row when she graduates.
Guess that explains why she has to play so many minutes.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I wonder if the comment was a motivational tool to inspire Lou's teammates.
And that comment I believe was about practice and how that specific practice went. Seemed a bit like a typical Geno contrivance. .

Reaction Score
Katie Lou is often the last player subbed for. Crystal doesn't have to win any games. Katie Lou and Napheesa take turns being the leader scorer and sometimes by quite a few points. However, Kia had her 33, and Gabby contributes: points, rebounds, steals, assists, blocked shots and energy. That's why they're so difficult to beat; it's a fairly balanced team. It's a collective effort.

Reaction Score
Absolutely a brilliant production documenting our favorite b-ball team. Geno is a first class stone buster at practice; as the song goes, "nobody does it better...". What Moriah Jefferson said near the end of the show really speaks volumes as to the quality of the program - not just specifically athletics, but life skills in general.

HGN

Reaction Score
Beautifully done...........Excellent for all. Current players , past players , and any future players or recruits.

This episode sort of tells you about why Geno coaches the way he does. How he feels about his players and how his players feel about him.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
wonderful, of course. It's a virtuous cycle. the more UConn wins, the more and greater the demand for these types of productions. And the more these productions, the more potential recruits are wowed into committing to UConn, which creates more wins, and then more demand for these videos, and so forth and so on. And of course, what drives all of this is Geno's absolute star quality.

Wonder why the NCAA hasn't already penalized him for unfair recruiting practices. :rolleyes: (sarcasm button)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom