Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Abby Meyers of Princeton

Reaction Score
Didn't you get the memo?

UConn WBB: 5-Star Signee Isuneh "Ice" Brady Brings Physicality, Versatility To Huskies!​

She's awesome, but I have Steph Dolson in mind. Do you think Brady will play the 4 or 5 at Uconn?

Reaction Score
Yes. The NCAA does not care about the reason, all they need to know is she did not compete therefore she has remaining eligibility. Her extra year has nothing to do with her academic standing though. The entire Ivy League gave up sports for a full season due to COVID and that is where her extra year is coming from.
I know about the COVID year. My question was related to the matter of whether she’d have 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining. She’s played only 3 seasons in her 5 years at Princeton because of her academic shortcomings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's awesome, but I have Steph Dolson in mind. Do you think Brady will play the 4 or 5 at Uconn?
Dolson is/was one of a kind. Brady will play 4/5 very well in my opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know about the COVID year. My question was related to the matter of whether she’d have 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining. She’s played only 3 seasons in her 5 years at Princeton because of her academic shortcomings.
Be careful with the use of that word "shortcomings" as we are lacking so much information. For example we do not know what her academic status was for the 2018-19 academic season and she might not have been enrolled at Princeton at all.
From an NCAA perspective (Sports only) she has used 3 years eligibility. Abby will have 1 year of eligibility remaining. The NCAA gives you 5 years to use up 4 years of eligibility but because of the COVID ( last season) she will not have to apply for a 6th year in order to play next season.

Reaction Score
She's a stud, but I still think that UCONN needs and agile big banger that can pass and play through contact. This team needs more physical players.
What the heck is the deal with Deberry?

Reaction Score
This is the main question as I see it. Uconn has many advantages in the pursuit of Abby, but a true staring role is certainly not a lock. We have just 4 guards and should find another whether it is Abby or not. If that player (preferably more of a 2/3) is just a pretty good backup they will likely settle in as the 5th guard getting some backup minutes behind Azzi and Caroline, but be in competition with Nika for those minutes as well, although Nika is better at the point.

Abby could be so much more than that, with an upside of starting at the 3 and maybe being the team's third best starter behind Paige and Azzi. The downside or worst case for her would probably be playing 15-20 minutes as both Azzi's and Caroline's principle backup, and be a super-sub. Either way she would be a great addition for us.

Abby is the star of her team, and the player of the year in her conference. Many pretty good teams could not only insure a starting position for her, but potentially make her the star of that team, like she was at Princeton. Part of me hopes that since she has already been a star on a pretty good team, been there done that so to speak, that a year of the Uconn experience with the chance to start, but at worst a super-sub, would be very attractive. It also would not decrease her exposure to scouts for a professional career.

We need to look at other 2/3 options in case we can't land Abby, but it seems clear to me that she should be by far the number 1 target this off-season.
Agree with all said except comparing Abby to Caroline. Abby is a true point guard (i.e. Paige and Muhl) that could also play shooting guard (i.e. Azzi). Caroline is more of a 3 that could also play 4 in a small lineup. Little competition for minutes between Abby and Caroline. Sign me up for the Abby bandwagon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno has many thoughts…
calculating the hangover GIF

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Be careful with the use of that word "shortcomings" as we are lacking so much information. For example we do not know what her academic status was for the 2018-19 academic season and she might not have been enrolled at Princeton at all.
From an NCAA perspective (Sports only) she has used 3 years eligibility. Abby will have 1 year of eligibility remaining. The NCAA gives you 5 years to use up 4 years of eligibility but because of the COVID ( last season) she will not have to apply for a 6th year in order to play next season.
Sorry, I got that wrong above - she only has one year remaining of eligibility because her 'covid year' was the year Princeton didn't play and she has played three years at Princeton.

Geno has never had interest in 'one year' players - feels he doesn't get enough time to coach them up. Dorka and before her Azura told him before transfer that they wanted to play two years at Uconn, Azura lied, and we will see about Dorka. At least Abby has some idea of the system, but I still wonder if Geno would be interested.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
She's a stud, but I still think that UCONN needs and agile big banger that can pass and play through contact. This team needs more physical players.
And your issue with Aaliyah Edwards is ...?

I expect her to continue on the development trajectory that she has been on recently. Have you seen anyone dominate her physically in 2022?

Reaction Score
Link here.

For Peer Representative Abby Meyers ’22, that work is personal. In the spring of 2018, when Meyers was a first-year, she received a disciplinary suspension following an incident in a data science class.

“I didn’t have a Peer Representative. I didn’t have any assistance, mentorship, or guidance,” Meyers said, looking back. Despite having “absolutely zero clue” how to build her defense, she wrote her opening and closing statements alone. “I felt like there was no justice, there was no rationality within the system,” she said.

Meyers first received a letter from the Committee on Discipline notifying her that she was being investigated for academic misconduct while on vacation with her family. Left feeling ashamed and alone, she said she did not confide in her parents and attended the virtual meeting with the investigators at 5 a.m. her time, in secret.

By the end of the process, she faced a year-long suspension — and once back on campus, felt a renewed sense of purpose. “I thought, I need to help students who get accused,” Meyers said. “That’s kind of the motivation as to why I joined. And I’m happy I joined. I think we can make the Peer Reps better and more involved within the honor system.”

Reaction Score
And your issue with Aaliyah Edwards is ...?

I expect her to continue on the development trajectory that she has been on recently. Have you seen anyone dominate her physically in 2022?
Nothing. I'm a huge fan. She's not a 5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What the heck is the deal with Deberry?
Amari is/was never envisioned to be a physical post player. She is very skilled but her game is finesse almost entirely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with all said except comparing Abby to Caroline. Abby is a true point guard (i.e. Paige and Muhl) that could also play shooting guard (i.e. Azzi). Caroline is more of a 3 that could also play 4 in a small lineup. Little competition for minutes between Abby and Caroline. Sign me up for the Abby bandwagon.
1647797466525.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry, I got that wrong above - she only has one year remaining of eligibility because her 'covid year' was the year Princeton didn't play and she has played three years at Princeton.
Geno has never had interest in 'one year' players - feels he doesn't get enough time to coach them up. Dorka and before her Azura told him before transfer that they wanted to play two years at Uconn, Azura lied, and we will see about Dorka. At least Abby has some idea of the system, but I still wonder if Geno would be interested.
I don't believe that to be correct on a couple of fronts.
1) Evelyn Adebayo transferred into UCONN with only one year of eligibility remaining. Geno also expressed strong interest in the following players, with one year of eligibility remaining, before they ultimately decided to transfer elsewhere: Anriel Howard (TA&M) , Danni Williams (TA&M), Sarah Imovbioh (UVA) & DiJonai Carrington (Stanford). It depends on the player and the team needs but I would not say that Geno has "never" had interest in one year players.
2) I would also not say that Azura lied- that is way too harsh. I also don't think Geno would extract a promise from any recruit to remain at UCONN for any duration- he's much too straight forward for that. Geno's straight forward pitch regardless of the recruit is this simple: Come to UCONN, be prepared to work hard and get better, and stay as long as you are happy. Azura Stevens is also not the only UCONN WBB player to leave UCONN with remaining eligibility. Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler and Megan Walker all left UCONN with remaining eligibility and could have perhaps been contributors on UCONN championship teams.

Reaction Score
UCONN is graduating both CW (34 MPG) and Evina (29 MPG). The latter is UCONN's current 6th man and the former is a 4 year starter. Abby is potentially a better player than both CW and Evina because of her ability to shoot the deep ball and defend on the perimeter. Why couldn't Abby start or get significant minutes for UCONN next season? As far as being the star of the team that is not going to happen while Paige is still breathing.
I agree she could start if she beats out Caroline which is certainly possible. I also agree that Abby is potentially better than CW and Evina. I expect both Azzi and Caroline to be better than CW and Evina as well, and they probably are right now. Starter is quite possible here but not a lock. If you consider 15-20 minutes a game significant, then I think that is virtually guaranteed as the floor, which on a great team that is a championship contender is not bad, with the ceiling being starting with Paige and Azzi.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree she could start if she beats out Caroline which is certainly possible. I also agree that Abby is potentially better than CW and Evina. I expect both Azzi and Caroline to be better than CW and Evina as well, and they probably are right now. Starter is quite possible here but not a lock. If you consider 15-20 minutes a game significant, then I think that is virtually guaranteed as the floor, which on a great team that is a championship contender is not bad, with the ceiling being starting with Paige and Azzi.
I don't see Abby competing with Caroline for minutes because Abby is a SG/PG and Caroline is a SF- See @HopJim post earlier in this thread. Next season if Abby takes up the UCONN challenge the team would have 4 players (Paige, Azzi, Abby and Nika) and 80 minutes per game to divide for those two positions. This season UCONN has 5 players (Evina, CW, Nika, Azzi and Paige) for those two positions.
I would consider 20-25 MPG as significant for Abby.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't see Abby competing with Caroline for minutes because Abby is a SG/PG and Caroline is a SF- See @HopJim post earlier in this thread. Next season if Abby takes up the UCONN challenge the team would have 4 players (Paige, Azzi, Abby and Nika) and 80 minutes per game to divide for those two positions. This season UCONN has 5 players (Evina, CW, Nika, Azzi and Paige) for those two positions.
I would consider 20-25 MPG as significant for Abby.
Your list of players omits any mention of Aubrey. I presume that is because you view her as a 4, but I think that is the wrong place for her.

For one thing, there will be a lot of competition at the 4 next year: Aaliyah, Ice, and Ayanna to begin with. Aubrey is not, and never will be, big enough and bulky enough to contend for rebounds against other teams with size. She needs to develop a midrange jump shot, and then the 3 is the obvious position for her, probably as a backup to Caroline at the beginning of the year. After that, who knows?

If Abby should don blue and white (definitely TBD), then I agree with you that Paige / Azzi / Abby / Nika will be the guard corps, and I think four guards are definitely needed to protect against fouls / injuries / excessive minutes leading to late-season fatigue. If none of them are excessively concerned with personal minutes, I think 80 minutes to spread among them would allow each of them to make a significant contribution, and allow Geno to go with the hot hand on any given night.

On the other hand, if Abby or someone like her does not transfer in, then UConn will be uncomfortably thin in the back court. In that case, Aubrey would be the most expedient solution as the "fourth guard", assuming that she has a jump shot that is at least as good as Nika's. I certainly hope that will be the case.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Meyers is not a PG. She’s a 2 or a wing.
Evina Westbrook played 3 distinct positions for UCONN SF, PG, and SG. Abby Meyers will do the same when she gets to UCONN "potentially" at an even higher level than Evina. Let's not box Abby in before she even gets here.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that to be correct on a couple of fronts.
1) Evelyn Adebayo transferred into UCONN with only one year of eligibility remaining. Geno also expressed strong interest in the following players, with one year of eligibility remaining, before they ultimately decided to transfer elsewhere: Anriel Howard (TA&M) , Danni Williams (TA&M), Sarah Imovbioh (UVA) & DiJonai Carrington (Stanford). It depends on the player and the team needs but I would not say that Geno has "never" had interest in one year players.
2) I would also not say that Azura lied- that is way too harsh. I also don't think Geno would extract a promise from any recruit to remain at UCONN for any duration- he's much too straight forward for that. Geno's straight forward pitch regardless of the recruit is this simple: Come to UCONN, be prepared to work hard and get better, and stay as long as you are happy. Azura Stevens is also not the only UCONN WBB player to leave UCONN with remaining eligibility. Morgan Tuck, Natalie Butler and Megan Walker all left UCONN with remaining eligibility and could have perhaps been contributors on UCONN championship teams.
I hope Megan returns to finish her degree requirements so she can get her named added to the wall.

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook played 3 distinct positions for UCONN SF, PG, and SG. Abby Meyers will do the same when she gets to UCONN "potentially" at an even higher level than Evina. Let's not box Abby in before she even gets here.
I just think it’s harder to transition into a PG role than out of a PG role. Meyers doesn’t initiate the offense at the Ivy League level and hasn’t averaged more than 1.6 APG. I don’t think she’d do it against a better schedule, either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom