Thoughts About The Nebraska Game | The Boneyard

Thoughts About The Nebraska Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First time I've eve seen the Huskies play a game in person.

They are fantastic!

Watching Napheesa and Gabby play up close and it's easy to see why they're undefeated so far this year. Especially Gabby- she can SKY! The people around me were marveling about how they play. The rest were just stunned.

I was blown away when I looked at them warm up and saw Saniya warming up with them.

All was right in UCONN Land.

Every time KLS got the ball you could almost hear everyone in the arena gasp....LOL!

I was yelling stuff like "Nice shot, Molly" when the subs came in ( I was the only one). Ha ha

I was really hoping Tierney would hit that trey in the last 2 minutes. I yelled "Make a three, Tierney!".

PS: Where was the guy with the funny BB hat that goes to all the games- UCONN- something?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
PS: Where was the guy with the funny BB hat that goes to all the games- UCONN- something?

DannyKUconn

51.jpg

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Every time KLS got the ball you could almost hear everyone in the arena gasp....LOL!

I hope that continues at Maryland.............and so on and so on......!!!!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Did Danger get back into the game after her failed circus shot layup in the first half? I don't recall seeing her after that. Had an easy 2 but foolishly opted to revert to something "fancy" she probably did in high school. Geno will take that out of her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did Danger get back into the game after her failed circus shot layup in the first half? I don't recall seeing her after that. Had an easy 2 but foolishly opted to revert to something "fancy" she probably did in high school. Geno will take that out of her.
No she did not. The missed layout was only the first of her three consecutive offenses that got her a seat on the bench for the remainder of the game. After missing the layup, she was late for a closeout in the corner on a Nebraska 3, on the next Nebraska possession she committed a reach in ticky tac foul ( her 3rd).
The last two offense were right in front of Geno.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I know that Geno giving Danger a "timeout" will help her in the long run, I feel bad for her. Hopefully, her response will be positive & immediate.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding sexist, Amy Williams one of the more attractive coaches UConn will play against. That being said, her team seemed poorly conditioned. Hope the talent will grow to the same level as some of the best fans in the US. Impression they left of Nebraska as a university was very positive

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding sexist, Amy Williams one of the more attractive coaches UConn will play against. That being said, her team seemed poorly conditioned. Hope the talent will grow to the same level as some of the best fans in the US. Impression they left of Nebraska as a university was very positive
I agree that the Huskers are not a particularly talented team at this point in time, but Amy Williams walked into a difficult situation when Nebraska fired Yori. Top players transferred, recruits reneged on commitments and OMG they had UConn on their schedule.

Over the past few days Williams said all the right things, giving UConn tremendous credit while staying positive about her own team.

While the game was a mismatch, I was impressed with how much the Huskers moved on offense, passed the ball and fought on defense.

Right now Coach Williams is playing the hand she was dealt. If she can bring in some talent Nebraska will be a very good basketball team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No she did not. The missed layout was only the first of her three consecutive offenses that got her a seat on the bench for the remainder of the game. After missing the layup, she was late for a closeout in the corner on a Nebraska 3, on the next Nebraska possession she committed a reach in ticky tac foul ( her 3rd).
The last two offense were right in front of Geno.
The truth was after every foul she committed Geno turned to Shea, arms out hands up, seemingly asking "What the heck is she doing?". She was twice late on close outs. Too often moved in front of screens when she should go below, and below when she should have gone in front. At 4:40 she went around a screen instead of underneath allowing Cincore to go inside and make a nice pass to Washington who fortunately flubbed it. She failed to box out Cincore at 4:17 and Geno pulled her for the first time. She returned at 9:02 of the 2nd and immediately committed a silly foul in front of Geno. He didn't like the pass Ramacieri made to Eliely over her at 7:56. She then stole the ball at 6:34 and just ?????? the layup by attempting a reverse when a simple left handed put up would have done. At 6:08 she was late on the close out. At 5:08 she was inexplicably helping on Shepard under the basket and was late again on a close out on Ramacieri and fouled her. Geno pulled her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was softening a bit on comments about the looks of coaches, players and associates when Geno needed that shave. Now that he's shaved, your comments are out of line.

Reaction Score
Big shout out to the Nebraska fans. Truly classy move with the standing ovation for both teams at the end of the game.
The crowd at Nebraska is one of the class acts in WCBB. Remember what they did in the tournament after their team got booted in the early round? Filled the stadium for the UConn game, just to see good basketball. That's why Geno wanted to bring the team back. Perhaps UConn's marketing folks could take a look at how Nebraska puts butts in seats and learn something, evne if they have to import a thousand Cornhusker fans every game for a while.

BH

Reaction Score
Long time boneyard lurker. Just had to comment on the Nebraska fans. They are the best. Been to many football games there. I am always amazed to hear the fans clapping (and in their seats) when the opponents come on the field and the sea of 80,000 red shirts are there at the end of the game standing and clapping for them until the last one leaves the field.
I tell the guests that I bring with me to UConn games that there are two rules.
No booing college athletes.
Your butt is in the seat for the beginning and at the end of the game rain or shine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many years ago I was in Omaha on business at a time when Nebraska was a perennial Top 5 football school. My contact asked if I wanted to stay over and watch the Huskers football game on Saturday vs KSU (this was a time when KSU was the weakest team in the old Big 8 conference). I gladly accepted & on Saturday we drove through miles of corn, wheat & sorghum fields to Lincoln.

Lincoln was a great college town. The stadium was packed, but KSU did something they hadn't done in 10 years. They took the opening kickoff, drove the length of the field and scored to take a 7-0 lead.

Quite a number of Husker fans proceeded to boo their own team. After that, a number of KSU players were carried off the field. Final score: 57-7 Cornhuskers.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I tell the guests that I bring with me to UConn games that there are two rules.
No booing college athletes.
Your butt is in the seat for the beginning and at the end of the game rain or shine.

You forgot one. Stand at start of game and beginning of second half until UConn scores. :)

Reaction Score
The crowd at Nebraska is one of the class acts in WCBB. Remember what they did in the tournament after their team got booted in the early round? Filled the stadium for the UConn game, just to see good basketball. That's why Geno wanted to bring the team back. Perhaps UConn's marketing folks could take a look at how Nebraska puts butts in seats and learn something, evne if they have to import a thousand Cornhusker fans every game for a while.

Nebraska has pretty easy marketing. Come watch the National Champs and #1 team in the country. It's not that simple it Ct. We are spoiled ya know??

Reaction Score
Nebraska has pretty easy marketing. Come watch the National Champs and #1 team in the country. It's not that simple it Ct. We are spoiled ya know??
I'm sorry, but isn't that the same tagline UConn can use for WCBB? How come the UConn marketing folks can't make it work?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
While I know that Geno giving Danger a "timeout" will help her in the long run, I feel bad for her. Hopefully, her response will be positive & immediate.

Thank you, olddude, for not feeling badly for her. Makes my day.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but isn't that the same tagline UConn can use for WCBB? How come the UConn marketing folks can't make it work?

Couple of things: Costs and access and distractions. Nebraska is a University town that includes, you know, townspeople.

Also, from last year: UConn 6th in attendance and Nebraska 12th. Behind New Mexico.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/2016.pdf

THe biggest kvetch I hear about attending a UConn game is cost, quality of opponent and access/parking. Can't change the opponents or parking. Only thing to do is lower cost of tickets - and I'm still not sure that would help.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Couple of things: Costs and access and distractions. Nebraska is a University town that includes, you know, townspeople.

Also, from last year: UConn 6th in attendance and Nebraska 12th. Behind New Mexico.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/2016.pdf

THe biggest kvetch I hear about attending a UConn game is cost, quality of opponent and access/parking. Can't change the opponents or parking. Only thing to do is lower cost of tickets - and I'm still not sure that would help.

Does UConn have remote parking with shuttles to the arena? If not, maybe that would help. I know that parking is a controlling issue for me, as I cannot walk long distances due to arthritis, etc. And for the segment of the UConn WBB fans that is senior-aged, not having to hike to the game site could be a plus.

Reaction Score
Get there early enough to park in south garage, across the street from Gampel. What a lot of seniors can't deal with, me included, is the bench seats. Horrible.

Paying to park in the garage attached to the XL Center is a blessing for which I pay gladly, and all the seats there are seat with backs.

Reaction Score

I think that Nebraska was trying post up on her so Geno brought in Saniya.

Reaction Score

There were a lot of empty seats, to be honest.

Iowa State is a place that will really support women's basketball so Geno should go there. I bet that place would sell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom