This year's team tougher than last year's team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This year's team tougher than last year's team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I think Sonny's post describes the distinction between the two teams. We won't ever know how tough last year's team really was because most of the time, evn in some of the tight and important games, that team could simply out-talent people. Even if opponents got a key player into foul trouble, there were other, supremely talented players available to do their thing, which they invariably did.

This team is very different in that they have virtually no safety net. If a player gets into foul trouble (or two players, as we saw not too long ago), they have far fewer resources to rely on. I don't know if that makes them tougher, but they are certainly having to scramble more to stay in the win column.
I like your last paragraph. Last year's team was expected to win. (and with a better bench)

Reaction Score
Just one nit to pick: KLS wasn't the best shooter on last year's team.

FG:
Gabby 63.6%
Stewie 57.9%
Mo 55.7%
Collier 53.3%
Tuck 51.6%
KLS 49.3%
Kia 44.3%

3FG:
Mo 43.1%
Stewie 42.6%
KLS 39.4%
Kia 37.0%
Tuck 32.2%
Chong 36.8%
Ekmark 36.1%

FT:
Collier 91.7%
Mo 89.4%
Chong 85.7%
KLS 83.7%
Stewie 83.6%
Tuck 78.8%
Kia 75.4%
Gabby 75.0%
Butler 60.5%

You shouldn't be using fg% in comparing a 3pt shooter vs a 2pt shooter. You should be using EFG%.

If a 3pt shooter goes 6-10 from three that is 18 points.
A player that takes all 2's needs to go 9-10 to score the same 18 points.

There is an efg calculator - just got to google it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Talk about motivational speeches---this was so motivational towards this years crop of kids---i just jumped up and said RAy RAy ---you are sooooooo darn right.

The best phrase in your posting----AND KIA WAS JUST BORN TOUGH!!! You should run the UConn WBB P.R. department. 12th Banner---"will be the result of incredible strength of will and mental toughness------"

You could replace Teddy with the red/white/blue hat as the Boneyard Cheer Leader--this was excellent!!!!!!!
this is our official "When We're Down" thread... bump up as often as needed!

Reaction Score
(snip)This team is very different in that they have virtually no safety net. If a player gets into foul trouble (or two players, as we saw not too long ago), they have far fewer resources to rely on. I don't know if that makes them tougher, but they are certainly having to scramble more to stay in the win column.

This comment is salient. I luv this team. During the 1st "Husky All Access" show, Geno just berates them. It has worked. This team is a TEAM. No real Superstar, just a bunch of stars who refuse to lose. They are mentally and physically tough. This whole season will be fun!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This team walks on the court and expects to win. They believe in each other and know when a basket is needed and a defensive stop is needed, someone will step up and deliver.

Call it what ever you want - mental toughness, physical toughness, confidence, resilience. They just win.

They don't care who scores how much - just score.
They don't care who gets the rebound - just get the rebound.

It is the essence of the word TEAM.

Reaction Score
Not according to Geno on his Show yesterday (taped of course). He said they are too nice and wants them to learn how to throttle an opponent for 40 minutes from the jump. There was also a short locker room segment when he accused them of backing down when challenged in a game (they had away jerseys on, but what game?).

That's an old refrain from Geno's classic song book. He has used this about a few, if not many, previous Uconn teams.
He at times has called them Girly Girls--until it became almost PC to not say girl--. If you listen/read/ or hear Geno over the years--his general ACT has a number of SCENE's he tends to re- enter in to the PLAY entitled UConn Basketball.
In human activity or relationships--there are few things different under the sun (whatever that mean/?)
You do know that Geno has called his act and that which his player do--not sport--but entertainment!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's an old refrain from Geno's classic song book. He has used this about a few, if not many, previous Uconn teams.
He at times has called them Girly Girls--until it became almost PC to not say girl--. If you listen/read/ or hear Geno over the years--his general ACT has a number of SCENE's he tends to re- enter in to the PLAY entitled UConn Basketball.
In human activity or relationships--there are few things different under the sun (whatever that mean/?)
You do know that Geno has called his act and that which his player do--not sport--but entertainment!!

You are right, of course, about the "too nice" having been applied to others. Sometimes it has been "lacking the killer instinct" or "not willing to step on their neck and end it." When he is most honest, he continues to express a lack of understanding of what the team is as per the quote below. What it is is a work in progress.

"I don’t know what became evident during those games in November and December where we had to do some things to win and they certainly did,” Auriemma said. “I don’t know we are a bunch of tough guys that are going to maul you to death. I don’t know if we are overwhelming when we walk into the gym like when we had Asjha, Tamika, Swin, Dee, Svet and Shea (on the 2000-01 team), when we walked into the gym everybody just went ‘there is the team that is going to win right there.’ I can’t even put my finger on what is it about this team other than I think they expect to win.” FromRegister article in today's news.

Reaction Score
You are right, of course, about the "too nice" having been applied to others. Sometimes it has been "lacking the killer instinct" or "not willing to step on their neck and end it." When he is most honest, he continues to express a lack of understanding of what the team is as per the quote below. What it is is a work in progress.

"I don’t know what became evident during those games in November and December where we had to do some things to win and they certainly did,” Auriemma said. “I don’t know we are a bunch of tough guys that are going to maul you to death. I don’t know if we are overwhelming when we walk into the gym like when we had Asjha, Tamika, Swin, Dee, Svet and Shea (on the 2000-01 team), when we walked into the gym everybody just went ‘there is the team that is going to win right there.’ I can’t even put my finger on what is it about this team other than I think they expect to win.” FromRegister article in today's news.

At times I have felt Geno just believes he has to bring out some old admonishment and revive for this team (in any year).

That was the start of the UCONN on the shirt won many games before they began (or had begun) quotation.
I don't think it is a knock on these guys that---'other than I think they expect to win' ---Geno likes and expects his team to play hard regardless of the score--and he is frustrated when they are up by 10/15/20 and pull the plug and coast. He has too often seen (as in the MD) teams come back to win or very close to winning after losing 15 (against ND) or 19 (against MD) and lose or scare the pants off of him (Geno).

You too are correct there is little you post that I have any issue or disagreement with. A disagreement on posting isn't a personal act---it's just one see's things one way and other see's thing differently--I'm stuck with the disease of seen the world much differently than everyone else---everything is seen from a different platform... Good method in scientific endeavors --not so in human relations.

Reaction Score
I still would like to see the game between This year's team vs. Last year's team. What last year had was better point guard and Stewie- but this year's squad has light-years better Gabby, Lou, Napheesa plus improved Kia and Saniya. I think it would be pretty close- and conjecturing is what makes this fun!

Reaction Score
It's hard to argue with facts (some might say it's downright foolish), but I'm going to try anyway. Over the last 3rd of the season, once Lou gained her confidence and was inserted as a starter, IMO she was the most consistent 3-pt threat on a team of very good 3-pt shooters.

The case you make for Tuck is interesting because prior to heating up from beyond the arc later in the tournament she had missed a bunch of 3's, to the point where she got the Geno speech, "You got two choices: either start making them or stop shooting them." Obviously, Tuck selected option 1.

Old Dude---I'm sure you know the most enticing facts are those made up---98 percent of all facts are not real--a fact made up. What some think is fact --cuz the janitor told them--is just BS.
I agree with Katie Lou becoming an integral part of a team of super stars and three point shooters--to play with them at that level takes a strong ego and confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom