This weekend & Beyond | The Boneyard

This weekend & Beyond

Reaction Score
Foremost on our minds is on beating Alabama followed by beating whoever comes out of the other half of -4, which I'm hoping is a multi-overtime affair on Saturday.

I posted before the BET, why not go 9-0 during the tournament sesson? As many articles have highlighted, UConn has few to no weaknesses and can beat you in any type of game (offensive shootout, defensive slug fest, half court grinders or full court track meet.)

I think UConn has one weakness that they've been able to manage, a lack of depth at the 5. When Clingan isn't on the floor, there's a drop off in protecting the rim, defensive rebounding and getting low post scoring. Samson runs the floor well and is very good cutting to the rim for the alley-oop. If both get into foul trouble they have to go small, which could create some vulnerabilities against Purdue or NC State, that have immovable 5s to contend with. If the refs call the next 2 games as they did last Saturday, which I hope they do, we'll be fine.

Struggling to knock down 3s two out of the past three games, and I think in the first half of all three games, brings concern. But they've been able to successfully attack the paint by knocking down midrange shots and scoring at the rim.

Anything can happen but I like our chances.

As for beyond, what do you think UConn needs out of the portal or via a recruit?

Adding a 5 out of the portal seems like must. It would be good to pick up 1 or 2 5s or 4/5 combos that can provide the following: score out of the post, set screens, rebound on both ends, and provide rim protection. Not a must, but it would be a bonus if one of them can step out, draw the other teams big and knock down 3s.

It would be nice to add a versatile big combo guard (6-4+) who can defend, handle, pass and knock down 3s. We have some of that covered with Hass, Ball and the incoming freshman, Nowell. Hass and Nowell are small and Ball is listed at 6-3, so would be nice to add a guard that can provide what Newton, Castle and Cam provided collectively.

Add a versatile combo forward who has similar capabilities noted above would be nice, but I think we have a lot of retuning players to meet this need. I think AK returns and he and Stewart provide this. I like what I've seen with Ross and Roumoglou which I think the staff can develop as solid off the bench guys.

The only recruit that's available I'd like to land is the big combo forward, McNeeley. He looks like a bigger and more athletic Cam Spencer. The other needs will have to come from the portal.

Would love to hear what others think.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Having two quality centers is one more than most teams, so not sure it can be considered a weakness.

I'd counter that one of our biggest strengths is being able to switch up styles and bring the same intensity at the two critical points of defense - center and the Castle/Diarra combo. It wears down/shuts down the opponent's best scorer - instead of UConn relying on the "letting X get their 25 points" we take that away and have three other good to excellent defenders to shut down the remaining players on the other team. 52, 58, 52, 52...

Reaction Score
I’m not looking past saturdays game. Don’t care about next year or the championship game. Only care about Alabama
Also I. Do not think Samson is a liability.
Do you know how many rebounds Samson has during this year's post sesson? He has a total of 8 rebounds in 7 games. He had 3 in one game and I think 1 or none in the other games.

Now I didn't say he's a liability. There's just a noticeable drop off when he fills in for Clingan. I really like SJ. He contributes.

We definitely need to pick up one to two experienced 5s next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you know how many rebounds Sampson has during this year's post sesson? He has a total of 8 rebounds in 7 games. He had 3 in one game and I think 1 or none in the other games.

Now I didn't say he's a liability. There's just a noticeable drop off when he fills in for Clingan. I really like SJ. He contributes.

Why do you always call him Sampson? You must know his name is Samson. There's so many threads telling people it's Tristen and Samson.

Not trying to be annoying but I think it's just respectful to call the players by their actual names.

Reaction Score
Why do you always call him Sampson? You must know his name is Samson. There's so many threads telling people it's Tristen and Samson.

Not trying to be annoying but I think it's just respectful to call the players by their actual names.
I'm always careful to get Tristen's name right. Didn't realize I wasn't spelling Samson's name correctly. Thanks for pointing that out.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
IMO our rebounding on both ends takes a big drop off with Clingan off the floor.

But I love the different look Johnson brings on defense (high hedge vs drop coverage) and offense (with Clingan off the floor they seem to focus less on Johnson giving him plenty of lob looks at the rim).

Having 2 guys who give us very different styles makes us tough to prepare for.

“Depth” is only a concern this year in the context of foul trouble. But if both guys are in position to play, we have one of the best center tandems in the country, easily the best 1-2 punch of any 4 remaining teams.

I’ll worry about the “beyond” when the season is over. But Hurley has proven to be a very capable roster builder, so I’m much more intrigued than concerned about who ends up making the post next year.

Reaction Score
Do you know how many rebounds Samson has during this year's post sesson? He has a total of 8 rebounds in 7 games. He had 3 in one game and I think 1 or none in the other games.

I agree with you with clingan.I’m hoping we can get 32 minutes from him. But if we don’t and it’s 25-26 I still feel we have a really good player in there

Reaction Score
So I am feeling extremely blessed that our school and team are back in the National spotlight and we have the best coaches in the country. I don’t post often but the few last Ollie years brought so much disappointment and frustration I stopped coming to the Yard. I could not have asked for more since the Hurley hire and winning this weekend would be amazing. I would be extremely happy for the group of young men that have brought me so much joy watching them.

Reaction Score

Its part of the mojo :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom