This season was a failure. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

This season was a failure.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
No it wasn't, this is revisionist history.
There were a lot of people who thought losing Bouknight was huge and that we wouldn't do well without him since he was our offensive weapon, personally I was happy to see him go - he just didn't mesh well. One guy can't do it all by himself so even when he put in 30+ in that one game it didn't win it. Sucks because dang that kid was good but I noticed last year when he was out it forced the rest of the team to play more instead of standing around watching him play. Synergy yo.

I expected the team to do better this year and they did, if in my opinion, just. The ending sucked and it's flavoring everything tonight of course. I do think, as I said earlier, next year Hurley must deliver a minimum of a 1st round win or BET title and bring in ready-to-go players from whatever source - recruit, portal, teleporter - I don't give a %^!$. If not, I think we'll see some pitchforks being pulled out of the shed.

We do need to remember that we're just getting back to a national spotlight so kids in our potential pipeline are just starting to see us again - our recruiting caliber should go up and as it does the team will get stronger. The better we do, the better we do.

To end on a positive note - the kids on the team make me proud they are Huskies. Onwards to '22-23!

Reaction Score
Step back.... No... At the beginning of the season I bet most here would have been thrilled with the thought of being a 5 seed.

Failure? Yes.... failure to meet our shared high hopes and expectations.

Reaction Score
This season was failure. End of sentence. Hurley said incremental growth. We’ve been patient. He needs to figure it out.

Reaction Score
I understand that people are emotional after a season ending loss but to call the entire season a failure that's just too over the top. I think that we had a good season overall but a very disappointing ending. NMSU happened to shoot 65% 3 pointers if they only shot 50% which is still excellent then we win the game. They had hot shooting night. Just because NMSU shot 65% from 3 our entire season is a failure? It was more of a freak accident during the last game. The coach can only do so much ultimately the players have to go out there and make plays. Throughout the season we were never blown out in any game which means the players and coach kept fighting in every game and never gave up. I wish that less people would be emotional like a woman on PMS and look at things more objectively. Very disappointed about this last game but I think that coach Hurley and the team did a good job this season.

Reaction Score
Disappointing because this bunch could play with anyone and lose to anyone.
The margin of success was just too fine as great play was offset by too many risky decisions at the wrong time.
It was a good season because we were basically in every game but eventually beat ourselves.

Reaction Score
NMSU happened to shoot 65% 3 pointers
It just feels like a lot of teams just happen to get hot and it just happens to be vs UConn and even, many times, a player just happens to have a career night vs UConn. It is frustrating, in that sense.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Rational thought would have been to shut down Allen. We refused to do that. Rational thought would to make open shots, we didn’t do that
Nonsense. Rational thought would acknowledge we were all over him last night, and he still made shots. And rational thought understands rational thought and execution are not the same thing to begin with

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It was a good, not great, season. We lost our (only) go-to scorer. Perhaps my expectations were lower than others. I certainly expected to make it through this weekend, though, and I'm certainly disappointed and frustrating. We came out flat in both halves. Bad.

And while I didn't love the lack of PT for our freshmen, I do like the player development we see in the sophomores and believe it bodes well.

Recruiting is still en fuego.

Comparing this season's postseason to last's and saying "this was a step back" suffers from a fatal case of recency bias. Are we on an upward trajectory or not? If you don't think we are, I'm sorry you feel that way. You'll be pleasantly surprised I guess.

Reaction Score
A good season that had woulda-coulda-shoulda losses. Winnable games- in some cases. No terrible blow out losses. Major progress was made towards re-establishing our BE identity.. NMSU loss sucks.

Year 5 of rebuild coming up. Major roster moves(Coaching moves?) between now and next season.. Lets see how that shakes out before throwing DH under the bus. Strong Programs survive these bumps in the road. Team BBIQ has to be a priority next year.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Who did we actually beat this year?
Auburn (N)
VCU (N)
St. Bonnie’s (N)
Seton Hall (N/H)
Georgetown (H/A)
DePaul (H/A)
St. John’s (H/A)
Butler (H/A)
Marquette (H/A)
Villanova (H)
Xavier (H)
Of those Nova and Auburn is impressive.
Xavier, Seton Hall, and Marquette are solid wins.
The rest are meh at best.

We won 12 cupcake games this year (6 in the Big East). We had an inflated record.

Reaction Score
I do not know how anyone can argue this point.

What exactly was accomplished?
OK, I'll bite.

We were ranked around #20 basically wire to wire.

We had a better record than last year despite losing a 1st round pick.

We had 2 big-time wins that got people talking about the program again.

We have excellent recruits committed for the next two years.

The trajectory of the program is clearly upward.

Reaction Score
I am starting to think this whole Uconn mystique of ”we could beat anyone” got to the guys head as they did not come out wit the hustle and grit that you need to win a NCAA Tourney game against a quality opponent.

I blame Hurley for this as all season long it was like “this is a top 5 team” after had a loss. He would blame injuries etc. Hurley is Hurly but IMO he needs more mental discipline both in game and after the game - set an example for the players. We need a ”chip on on our shoulder” like we used to have with Calhoun.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
OK, I'll bite.

We had a better record because we got to play cupcakes. Take out the six games against low majors and all of a sudden we are 17-9, very comparable to 14-8 (throw out the cupcake game last year).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
OK, I'll bite.

The recruiting is upwards but Hurley is not a good in-game coach. You can recruit all day at a high level but if your coaching is only solid, you will underperform.

Reaction Score
We had a better record because we got to play cupcakes. Take out the six games against low majors and all of a sudden we are 17-9, very comparable to 15-8.
We still had 2 cupcakes last year, so 13-8 vs. 17-9 if you're comparing directly.

12-7 in Big East games last year (when 3 teams aside from us made NCAAs with 1 being fluke auto qualifier) vs. 13-6 in Big East games this year (when 5 teams aside from us made NCAAs).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
We still had 2 cupcakes last year, so 13-8 vs. 17-9 if you're comparing directly.

12-7 in Big East games last year (when 4 teams made NCAAs with 1 being fluke auto qualifier) vs. 13-6 in Big East games this year (when 6 teams made NCAAs).
The Big East played less OOC games than everyone else last year due to COVID hitting the northeast the hardest. The BE teams didn’t get to pad their resumes with cupcake wins like the other major conferences. That is why we only got 4 teams in. If St. John’s and Seton Hall got to play their full schedules last year, they would have both been dancing.

Reaction Score
The Big East played less OOC games than everyone else last year due to COVID hitting the northeast the hardest. The BE teams didn’t get to pad their resumes with cupcake wins like the other major conferences. That is why we only got 4 teams in. If St. John’s and Seton Hall got to play their full schedules last year, they would have both been dancing.
St. John's did get cupcakes. They had 5 games against KenPom 100+ teams in non-conf play. They won 3 of said games by 1, 3, and 4 points. They lost their only top 100 non-conf game by 8 on a neutral court against BYU. Overall they fell 12 spots in KenPom during non-conf.

Seton Hall went 1-3 against KenPom top 100 teams in nonconf. They had opportunities, they just lost.

This is a big stretch. Outside of the top 2 (and Georgetown), the conference played much better this season.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe this is even being debated. This season was an absolute failure. You have to keep progressing upwards. This team top to bottom was better than last years - and we might be worse next year. I have been positive all year but last night was a disaster.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We finished 3rd in the Big East, lost in the BET semis, and lost in the first round in an upset. The program arguably took a step back this year.
Seriously? Win 24 games with a team devoid of consistent shooters. A grand total of one game all year with under two minutes to play they had no chance to win. They weren’t NC caliber but could stick with almost any team. We all would like to have seen them win more but it was hardly a failure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom