This season UConn will be Overwhelming | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This season UConn will be Overwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is my first post Ever. I think it is hard to speculate what will happen with individual contributions for this team. And that highlights the true genius of this staff. The talents of each are blendedto make the team game a Close to perfect illustration of how the Game is meant to be played. The coaching staffs use of Gabby last year was not expected but best filled a team need. All uconn players concede individual stats for thesake of the team. That is why I like watching this team play. I do think History Major had an excellent point about Kia Stokes. No matter what anyone thinks a bout the development of her individual game she represented a most unique weapon held by no other top tier team. Geno had a force onthe bench that he could go to that could totally change the control of the otherteams inside offense and control of the boards as well. Her greatest strength may have been the limiting factor in her offensive development. She didnt look for her shot because she really didn't need to. She took more criticismand lack of playing time than she deserved but still came up huge when called upon. I don't know I any program will ever be so lucky to have just such a weapon off the bench. Sorry so long.
Very astute observations. Welcome aboard, you will do very well here. Besides the Stokes the other un-replicated lethal weapon UCONN has is the transition 3. I was very encouraged to hear MoJeff say in a recent interview that she is “already” beginning to look for KLS in those transitions the same way she used to look for KML. The transition 3 is lethal because it goes against everything ball players are taught like stop the ball, protect the basket & don’t give up the layup. UCONN puts teams in a pickle because you have to defend from the rim to beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
Very astute observations. Welcome aboard, you will do very well here. Besides the Stokes the other un-replicated lethal weapon UCONN has is the transition 3. I was very encouraged to hear MoJeff say in a recent interview that she is “already” beginning to look for KLS in those transitions the same way she used to look for KML. The transition 3 is lethal because it goes against everything ball players are taught like stop the ball, protect the basket & don’t give up the layup. UCONN puts teams in a pickle because you have to defend from the rim to beyond the arc.
Plus it wears the other team down, physically and mentally.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very few teams have the potential to score with UConn. A certain #1 ranked team found out about that last February. Who came the closest last year in an off night for UConn: ND. Dayton hung (shooting 70%) for a half. I think it was D Burke who pointed out how the pressure to score builds and pressures other teams out of their game and into turnovers. I believe it was Stewie who remarked how you can sense the change in the opponent and that just spurs UConn on.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some fans don't seem to realize that Butler averaged 13 points and 13 rebounds as a freshman and she did not have much help. I believe she will be a much bigger factor than many people think. Also, Geno stated that Courtney looked like a different person. She has the ability to make as high a percentage of threes as KML did. Gabby Williams was one of the top five high school guards in the country who accepted Geno's challenge to play inside last season and played well. This season she may show her outside skills and contribute more than some fans think. I watched Napheesa play for three years and she played against some of the best high school teams in the country and beat them, including Dangerfield's team when she was a junior, although her team lost in the rematch. Her team played man to man defense almost exclusively so she is well prepared for that. Her biggest weakness is her mid to long range game. She has the ability to play the same position Gabby played last season. I believe UCONN will be extremely tough to beat this season if no major injuries occur. They are so deep and talented. There is a good chance they will be a more accurate three point shooting team than last season with more accurate three point shooters. I've been a UCONN fan since the late nineties and this team potentially has more upper level talent than any I can remember, imo.

Reaction Score
That's a bit rich coming from you, isn't it?!

;)

Welcome to the forum. I think you have hit on what is most likely the biggest issue UConn is facing as a team. They will not be lacking in offensive power and that in itself will be the deciding factor in most games. But what Stokes allowed the team to do was take chances on defense knowing she was there (block it Kiah!). Also allowed them to cheat a little on transition knowing there was a good chance Stokes would get the rebound. Kara Lawson said many times last season that UConn's offense ran off of their defense (thanks in large part to Stokes).

I think Williams could be one coming off the bench to give some of what Stokes provided with her knack for getting rebounds but you are right in that Kiah was a unique weapon coming off the bench.

Geno is developing Gabbie into the next shot blocking Kiah Stokes. We shouldn't have any trouble in this regard as soon as she hits her stride this year.

Reaction Score
Some fans don't seem to realize that Butler averaged 13 points and 13 rebounds as a freshman and she did not have much help. I believe she will be a much bigger factor than many people think.

Not sure who you are referring to but the reason I don't see Butler as factor coming off the bench is because I think she is going to be a starter. :)

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
62 Grad watching Geno since he was hired. Geno is a VERY BRIGHT. personable Basketball Psychologist, of the game, & people !
Possibly the BEST ever-at least in the running. He has a GREAT MOM !!!

Reaction Score
A couple of predictions: Gabby Williams, based on her remarkably efficient and productive minutes last year, will start over Butler. She can also defend on the perimeter, which will be important because so many teams will go small against us. Courtney Ekmark will turn into serviceable depth at guard, regaining her shooting touch and proving to be as effective defensively as Saniya Chong. Napheesa Collier will lead the team in shooting percentage and become the AAC sixth man of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom