This season UConn will be Overwhelming | The Boneyard

This season UConn will be Overwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Our glass is way more than half-ful. I do have a concern about depth at guard. MoJeff, Kia and ???
Saniya has a gigantic opportunity to earn considerable PT as the first guard off the bench...but she had the same opportunity last year
and in big games late in the year Geno had her sitting not playing. Many people posted that while Breanna was our most talented player Moriah was our MVP.
That situation may still exist this year. A significant injury to Mo? Against elite teams? I would be really concerned.

Courtney...Gabby? Ballhandlers????

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Who knows what (if any) Gabby's limits are?

Reaction Score
As extraordinary as Stewie is, with all the acclaim she deservedly receives, and despite her bold statement that she came to UConn to win four NCs, any conversation about 4-in-a-row NCs would have been, I believe, rather quickly squashed had the star not had an outstanding supporting cast (and I use the word 'supporting' advisedly because each teammate was/is a star in her own right.)

Though often overshadowed by Stewie's sheer brilliance, absolutely NO talk of four-in-a-row would now even be possible without crediting her incredible teammates Kelly Faris, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Morgan Tuck, and Moriah Jefferson.

If UConn wins four-in-a-row, it will be because UConn has, and has had, not just the best player, but THE BEST TEAM.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Our glass is way more than half-ful. I do have a concern about depth at guard. MoJeff, Kia and ???
Saniya has a gigantic opportunity to earn considerable PT as the first guard off the bench...but she had the same opportunity last year
and in big games late in the year Geno had her sitting not playing. Many people posted that while Breanna was our most talented player Moriah was our MVP.
That situation may still exist this year. A significant injury to Mo? Against elite teams? I would be really concerned.

Saniya and Kia can both play the 1. I don't get the feeling Corutney will be part of the guard rotation except at the end of games. I know KLS played the 1 at times for team USA so i think between those 4, we have plenty of players at the 1-2 positions. Huge opportunity for Saniya this year to not only earn lots of minutes, but to have those minutes be productive - not just taking up space on the floor...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As extraordinary as Stewie is, with all the acclaim she deservedly receives, and despite her bold statement that she came to UConn to win four NCs, any conversation about 4-in-a-row NCs would have been, I believe, rather quickly squashed had the star not had an outstanding supporting cast (and I use the word 'supporting' advisedly because each teammate was/is a star in her own right.)

Though often overshadowed by Stewie's sheer brilliance, absolutely NO talk of four-in-a-row would now even be possible without crediting her incredible teammates Kelly Faris, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Morgan Tuck, and Moriah Jefferson.

If UConn wins four-in-a-row, it will be because UConn has, and has had, not just the best player, but THE BEST TEAM.
Bravo

Reaction Score
Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa, Katie Lou, Saniya, Courtney, and De'Janae.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saniya ... she has to give up over thinking the pass - that hesitation that wipes away the opportunity she saw a moment ago. Until then she is relegated to giving someone else a breather. Courtney does not have that problem. Her problem has been double thinking her shot. I say to both of them: Just do it! Double think it, you've failed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Adding these names to the core team of the nation's best player, the nation's best point guard, and a third All-American-caliber player who flirted with the 2015 Final Four MOP in her own right (Morgan)...I mean, it's mind boggling. There have been historical cautionary tales like the 2001 season, but to layer this kind of depth on top of a recruiting class that has been everything we hoped for and more just gives us nothing but confidence as a fan base...and tremendous anticipation for the season...

Reaction Score
A Short and Sweet post. This is why they will not lose a game.
Now I know you are talking about MoJett!! Not quite a true post player, but last season I watched her out post many a player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stewie says she's better, Kia certainly is, Butler is ready to dominate inside, Moriah is herself, etc, etc

What's not to like.

That's been the consensus all summer, and I would say most BY'ers agree. The question of whether UConn has enough talent to pull off a 4th NC in a row is the talk around WCBB. UConn Nation is convinced that Geno has put together a team that can win it all.

The question this year is the same as it is every year.........how quickly can this team jell, and can they sustain it through the entire season. The answer is quickly and yes.

Several other top 10 programs have improved their rosters significantly (Tennessee, Notre Dame, Louisville, South Carolina, Duke) . It's always a challenge to "blend" that talent together into a cohesive unit that can take the floor and be successful night in and night out. We won't mention the "I" word. I don't want to jinx the girls. UConn has been extremely fortunate not to lose anyone to a season ending "I" recently.

UConn remains the "Gold Standard" of WCBB, and the program by which all other programs are measured. In Geno we trust" I'm feeling real good about the coming season. I really believe THIS team is going to make history. Let's go get number 11.
Go Huskies. :)

Reaction Score
Stewie says she's better, Kia certainly is, Butler is ready to dominate inside, Moriah is herself, etc, etc

What's not to like.

Uh, there's Lou and Tuck and a couple of other top tier freshmen. To like, of course.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saniya ... she has to give up over thinking the pass - that hesitation that wipes away the opportunity she saw a moment ago. Until then she is relegated to giving someone else a breather. Courtney does not have that problem. Her problem has been double thinking her shot. I say to both of them: Just do it! Double think it, you've failed.

Both Saniya and Courtney have somehow misplaced their shots. Both were lights out hs players; Chong scored 50+ in a game. But there's a real qualitative difference between the two: Saniya is a first rate replacement at either guard spot, and Ekmark is almost the last player off the bench. The reason is simple: aside from Courtney's shot, she is very slow afoot; next to Butler, she's the slowest player on the court. Bad news for a guard. Thinking won't improve foot speed or lack thereof.

Reaction Score

No, Courtney and Gabby aren't good options to Jefferson--one is too slow and one can't shoot. UConn is short of guards, which may be why Geno is bringing in a few in the next year or so. But Saniya is extremely important. She will be first off the bench, has better speed than Mo (according to Geno), and occasionally acts as if she was a great hs shooter. Chong will spell both starting guards.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
has better speed than Mo...

I refuse to believe this urban legend. To be faster than Mo, you need warp drive. However, she is very fast.
Other than that, I agree with all you said about Saniya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom