This loss is all on Ollie's shoulders | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This loss is all on Ollie's shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Temple's RPI was 103 coming into tonight will be sub 100 after this, it is a game we should have won, but it is not a "horrible" loss for NCAAT purposes.

We have 2 top 50 RPI wins, will be 3 soon the way osu is trending.

Well have 11 more games against sub 100 RPI teams, tonight was awful, but plenty of opportunities to erase it.

I know this is unpopular stance, since after every loss the BY says we will miss the tournament, we suck and Ollie is awful.

I admire your optimism. But if you can't see the causes for alarm with this team based on far more than tonight's abomination I'm not sure what you're watching.

Reaction Score
I admire your optimism. But if you can't see the causes for alarm with this team based on far more than tonight's abomination I'm not sure what you're watching.

If you honestly watched the last 60 minutes of basketball vs 2 of the worst teams you will face and don't see huge problems vs Memphis this weekend then you weren't watching. It's scary how bad they can be at times. 53 points vs Temple at home is disgraceful and no one seemed to give a rats a** quite honestly minus a couple guys. The passion wasn't there, DHam is making awful decisions, the guards are inconsistent on both ends.

Not pretty!

Reaction Score
never said I was happy with the way the team played tonight or for long stretches against Tulane. we need to play better, a lot better, but I understand its one loss and a loss at the end of the day if we play better and win the games we should win down the stretch (2 months is a long stretch) won't affect us much.

just as an point for thought, we have just as many top 50 wins as PC and marquette has a much worse RPI than temple, I wonder if they are thinking NIT over there.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more guys. KO better get the guys together soon. Otherwise NIT is our future.

Reaction Score
never said I was happy with the way the team played tonight or for long stretches against Tulane. we need to play better, a lot better, but I understand its one loss and a loss at the end of the day if we play better and win the games we should win down the stretch (2 months is a long stretch) won't affect us much.

just as an point for thought, we have just as many top 50 wins as PC and marquette has a much worse RPI than temple, I wonder if they are thinking NIT over there.

I doubt it Jerry they're 13-2 not 10-4. Not thinking NIT but it does our guys no good to make the road much harder than it already is in a very winnable game, that's the issue here.

Reaction Score
I doubt it Jerry they're 13-2 not 10-4. Not thinking NIT but it does our guys no good to make the road much harder than it already is in a very winnable game, that's the issue here.
10-4 is 14 games, we play 31 before the AAC tournament.

lotta basketball to play, including a lot with Brimah on the floor

Reaction Score

He doesn't make that kind of difference, they need to coach and play basketball better now. They should have beaten Temple by 15 tonight without him, this loss has little to nothing to do with him not playing. I agree, lots of basketball to be played but if you're not nervous about this team not being there every night then you're the iceman jerry.

Reaction Score
He doesn't make that kind of difference, they need to coach and play basketball better now. They should have beaten Temple by 15 tonight without him, this loss has little to nothing to do with him not playing. I agree, lots of basketball to be played but if you're not nervous about this team not being there every night then you're the iceman jerry.
we played and coached awful tonight and should have handled temple, 100% agree.

I bet we blow out Memphis Saturday, I think this will wake the team up, I have absolutely no concern about making the NCAAT, none. Do I think we can do much when we get there? No, not really.

Reaction Score

I bet we blow out Memphis Saturday, I think this will wake the team up, I have absolutely no concern about making the NCAAT, none. Do I think we can do much when we get there? No, not really.

They really have a chance to redeem themselves in what almost becomes, and I hate this so early, a must-win situation. With the Texas Massacre in our heads, the next 2 after Memphis will tell us about these guys.

Reaction Score
We can't blame KO for this. Last play was designed for DeCosey which we expected and covered and Brown decided to take the shot and it went in. The lack of foul was on the player not the coach. But let's face it. In spite of their class they are inexperienced. Both of our PG's are first year UConn players and don't yet know how to run KO's offense or defense like what Bazz and Boat did. And our front court is mediocre. We need better big men and. One other problem we have is no reliable go to scorer. Even last year we had Boat. I mean we cant end a close game going 0 for 9 from the floor. This team is too dependent on jump shooting and if we have a bad shooting night we can't recover. Without an effective inside game they can only win if they shoot well. We cant have Hamilton going 2 for 13 and Gibbs going 1 for 7. Lets just hope that this was just a bad game and they get better from this and Brimah makes a speedy recovery and we can win the AAC and make a run in march.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Agree with all OP's points.

-Didn't take it inside with a foul advantage.
-Didn't get the ball to Miller, who had his way all night.
-Where was Adams when our starting PG had 1 made shot and 1 assist all night?
-Took a time out with the ball with 50 seconds left... why not put up a quick shot and play for 2 possessions!?
-Had a foul to give, and did not pressure the ball on the final possession. Apply some pressure and go for a steal... worst case you foul and force them to inbound the ball again. Or foul the guy on his way to the hoop... don't just give him the shot!

Very frustrating coaching from KO tonight.

Reaction Score

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they played better this weekend and beat Memphis. But it would provide me no confidence whatsoever that they wouldn't promptly lose at Tulsa.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they played better this weekend and beat Memphis. But it would provide me no confidence whatsoever that they wouldn't promptly lose at Tulsa.
I think we are on track to lose both. Very out of sorts out there tonight. Not sure its fixable either.

Reaction Score
There were some trips where literally four players were standing around and I had to wonder if Ollie had fallen asleep.

Probably his worst game ever. Needed this one. If we go to the NIT, we can look at this game.

Pathetic.

For some reason it is particularly bothersome to me when we give no effort on the offensive boards.They literally do stand around on the perimeter waiting for a pass and when the shot goes up they forfeit the opportunity to make an effort to rebound as if it is a forgone conclusion that it will automatically go to the other team.

Effort is lacking in many areas

Reaction Score
2 things stuck out for me. First of all, Purvis was on the bench for way too long in the second half. Second, Jalen on the bench for the final 5 minutes. He had scored 7 straight points and was our best scoring option at the time. So Ollie made a mistake on these things but I still love him.

Reaction Score
Came home from work. dozed off and slept through it all. I woke a coupe of hours after the game only to wish the score was a dream. I wish I would have stayed sleep.

Reaction Score

The way they're playing, that's also a lot of basketball to lose. Unless The coaching staff and team wakes up fast, this could make last year's performance look like a final four run. Piss poor coaching and effort by everyone. And sadly this year we don't even have the excuse of being devoid of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom