This loss is all on Ollie's shoulders | The Boneyard

This loss is all on Ollie's shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know Hamilton played poorly, but I don't know WTF Ollie was doing out there tonight. I normally don't post this kind of stuff right after games, but right off the top of my head, three huge miscues:

1.) Miller didn't touch the ball the last 6-8 minutes of the game. We got something good literally every time Miller touched the ball in the post. Don't tell me it wasn't there. It was there every time on the slip on that Gibbs/Miller side ball screen.

2.) Why the duck* is Phil Nolan in the game on offense in the final three minutes? Want to go offense/defense? Fine. But why in the world are you playing a guy who is a zero offensively in high leverage offensive possessions? You're essentially playing four on five.

3.) How the duck* do you not give the foul when Brown drives with under five ticks left? It was so obvious that I was yelling it from my couch as soon as he put it on the floor.

Damn. Most frustrating loss I can recall in some time. Temple is not good. Hamilton not diving on the floor for that loose ball late in the game was as maddening an expression of indifference that I've seen from a UConn player in a while. You can't lose at home to Temple. Not with four upperclassmen and two grad transfers in the starting lineup, along with a kid as talented as Hamilton. This is a bad one.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There were some trips where literally four players were standing around and I had to wonder if Ollie had fallen asleep.

Probably his worst game ever. Needed this one. If we go to the NIT, we can look at this game.

Pathetic.

Reaction Score
We've been an embarrassment to the UCONN name for the last 1.5 seasons. If we miss the tournament KO gets one more year to prove something. Otherwise he should be gone. We haven't looked good since the NCCG​

Reaction Score
I agree. This was one of, if not the worst coaching performance of his tenure.

not fouling there is mind boggling

Reaction Score
I know Hamilton played poorly, but I don't know WTF Ollie was doing out there tonight. I normally don't post this kind of stuff right after games, but right off the top of my head, three huge miscues:

1.) Miller didn't touch the ball the last 6-8 minutes of the game. We got something good literally every time Miller touched the ball in the post. Don't tell me it wasn't there. It was there every time on the slip on that Gibbs/Miller side ball screen.

2.) Why the duck* is Phil Nolan in the game on offense in the final three minutes? Want to go offense/defense? Fine. But why in the world are you playing a guy who is a zero offensively in high leverage offensive possessions? You're essentially playing four on five.

3.) How the duck* do you not give the foul when Brown drives with under five ticks left? It was so obvious that I was yelling it from my couch as soon as he put it on the floor.

Damn. Most frustrating loss I can recall in some time. Temple is not good. Hamilton not diving on the floor for that loose ball late in the game was as maddening an expression of indifference that I've seen from a UConn player in a while. You can't lose at home to Temple. Not with four upperclassmen and two grad transfers in the starting lineup, along with a kid as talented as Hamilton. This is a bad one.
Phil wasn't the problem. Not the solution, but not the problem. Someone has to switch on defense, and someone needs to set screens.

Reaction Score
Was texting with my friend and could not agree more. With the ball with a chance at 2 for 1, in the double bonus and the possession arrow. Get the two for one, if not foul with like 5 seconds left to screw them up. I mean we should have won that game and it feels like it could have been a coached win in the last minute. Was very surprised with some decisions down the stretch. We shot poorly that game yes, and those games happen. But we had every chance to win in the end....

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think that Kevin has poor body language on the bench. During our five minute drought in the first half, he just kinda slumped on the bench. JC usually looked like he wanted to strangle someone. I know its not his personality but not looking deflated would be a step in the right direction.

He doesn't do it all the time, and sometimes he does show fire, but he also has the habit of poor body language that is obvious.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I think KO is somewhere besides on the the side lines as of late,no way his heads in it.

Reaction Score
You have a damn foul to give!!!!!!!!!!

AND

Why is Adams not in the game after single handily bringing the team back.....

OLLIEEEEEEEEE!!!!??????????

Reaction Score
Phil wasn't the problem. Not the solution, but not the problem. Someone has to switch on defense, and someone needs to set screens.

By no means am I pinning it on Phil, and really, it didn't end up costing us. I just fail to see the logic in having him in the game over somebody like Adams late. Maybe you feel he's your best screener? It's tough to explain.

Reaction Score
There were some trips where literally four players were standing around and I had to wonder if Ollie had fallen asleep.

Probably his worst game ever. Needed this one. If we go to the NIT, we can look at this game.

Pathetic.
we will not be going to the NIT.

every year we have a WTF loss, this will be it.

Ollie was terrible, the team played terrible, Temple played inspired off a blowout loss, bad combo.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
KO has been terrible since the NC. What are these half court sets? We are guard loaded why aren't we even a half way decent FT shooting team? Why has D Ham regressed? This team has the most talent we've had in 6 years. Why aren't we better?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
KO has been terrible since the NC. What are these half court sets? We are guard loaded why aren't we even a half way decent FT shooting team? Why has D Ham regressed? This team has the most talent we've had in 6 years. Why aren't we better?
Is it the most talented though? I see a bunch of one dimensional players with low basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
we will not be going to the NIT.

every year we have a WTF loss, this will be it.

Ollie was terrible, the team played terrible, Temple played inspired off a blowout loss, bad combo.
Well, I can say as of right now the NIT looks the most likely destination. And there are a lot better teams in the AAC that we will have to play

Reaction Score
No excuses for KO, but this is on the whole coaching staff. It's very common for one of the assistants to be in charge of keeping track of fouls. If KO didn't bring it up right away during the timeout someone has to tap him on the shoulder and let him know we have one to give. Really a bonehead error you don't see in high level hoops. Foul Brown when he puts the ball on the floor and there's only 4-5 seconds left and they take it back out from the sideline. That alone probably forces a last second jump shot instead of an easy drive over a shorter defender in Gibbs. Mind boggling.

Reaction Score
Ollie was also afraid(?) to sit Hamilton. When you're playing that poorly on offense and doing nothing on defense he needs to sit, just like any other player would have in that situation. That's on Ollie.

Reaction Score
All 3 of your points are spot on. Wish I could be asking these questions at the presser

In all seriousness has KO ever felt the heat in a presser after a poor performance? IF yes ...is it just 20 mins of him giving that stank face with a few inspirational quotes mixed through out?

So frustrating

Reaction Score
The complete marginalization of Shonn Miller is ridiculous. He is our only low post scorer and a good one at that. In addition, he moves the ball. Why they absolutely refuse to use him in any capacity for long periods of time is absolutely baffling. There was probably a 5-7 minute stretch where Gibbs, DHam, and RP just took turns trying to go one-on-one. It's so awful to watch and so ineffective.

Reaction Score

I wish I could like this post 1,000 times.....other than the fact that Miller took an extremely bad 3 pointer with a couple minutes left, but I knew where you were going. I don't know whether to blame Ollie or the assistants, but apparently they were ALL asleep at the same time. Wow.....Dom Perno never coached the bad a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom