THIS is why the AAC sucks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

THIS is why the AAC sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn brings tremendous amount to a P5 conference.

Yes, there is the Men's basketball unequaled success over the last 16 years and the Woman's unprecedented basketball success but there is a lot more.

UConn plays many sports at a very high level, that's important for conferences with there own networks.

UConn bring the the New Haven/ Hartford DMA with about 2 million people, plus nearly another million people in the NYC DMA. It is the most attractive TV product in the G5.

Connecticut consistently is one of the most affluent states in the nation that is desirable to advertisers. Ad revenue is the next way to monetize college sports.

UConn is a football school. We had tremendous success early on and no doubt will again. "It's doable."

UConn is a land grand college, it is very similar in that regard to the schools of the Big 10.

UConn is a good academic school with a great trendline in it's national academic perception.

UConn leads a new paradigm for state funded research. The legislatures support of the UConn has been noticed in academic circles.

For a more detailed discussion of these points and others CLICK HERE.

I like the points you make. Unfortunately, getting Uconn to a bigger/P5 Conference isn't within our arena . I'm sure, if the AD and Uconn President want it, they have worked long and hard to no avail. I am certain a crack within the dike that's stopping Uconn will come, but when?

Reaction Score
I have no idea why UConn is not a member of the AAU, but it is ranked academically ahead of several Big10 schools that are members, at least according to the hopelessly unscientific U.S. News reports. That would indicate that membership is not an impossible task, even without the "upgrades" you seem to think are necessary. I agree with you, though, that membership is absolutely vital for entry into the Big10; not so much for the ACC.
UConn may not meet all the criteria, but not many invites are extended either. In the last 30 years there have been what, maybe a dozen schools added? Most of the schools part of the AAU have been there for a long, long time considering some of these schools memberships go back to 1900 and most before 1960. As I understand it, membership isn't automatic upon reaching some certain set of criteria. You have to be invited by the same schools that have chosen to keep us out of a P5 conference. I'm a bit skeptical that even if UConn does this or that to up their academics and research that it will mean anything from a conference membership/athletics standpoint. The AAU is much like the P5 conferences: a good ol' boys club.

Reaction Score
Overall UCONN could bring more to the ACC than say BC is currently bringing.
Good line no one on a UConn posting would argue with that. So why is it that Uconn hasn't had 14 conferences banging down it's door to leave the AAC??? That's the 11 billion dollar question!! What is the President of Uconn doing wrong? What is Ollie doing wrong? What is Geno doing wrong? What is the AD not doing? That no Conference hasn't picked up Uconn? A huge practice facility, XL Center to play in, Billion dollar Football stadium to play in, Academic's are good--maybe Uconn graduates work in lessor Restaurants than the Duke Grads (Geno), the State has put money into Uconn--close to Boston and NY, easy access by air from all over, some buses even run into Hartford when it move them. For real excitement one can travel to Waterbury and see posters of former Mayors.

Reaction Score
Good line no one on a UConn posting would argue with that. So why is it that Uconn hasn't had 14 conferences banging down it's door to leave the AAC??? That's the 11 billion dollar question!! What is the President of Uconn doing wrong? What is Ollie doing wrong? What is Geno doing wrong? What is the AD not doing? That no Conference hasn't picked up Uconn? A huge practice facility, XL Center to play in, Billion dollar Football stadium to play in, Academic's are good--maybe Uconn graduates work in lessor Restaurants than the Duke Grads (Geno), the State has put money into Uconn--close to Boston and NY, easy access by air from all over, some buses even run into Hartford when it move them. For real excitement one can travel to Waterbury and see posters of former Mayors.
A few weeks ago, everyone was optimistic. Now, that seems to be fading. I think we all want something to happen right now and the roller coaster ride just goes on and on. The President of UConn, Ollie, and Geno are not doing anything wrong. Don't think conferences are not aware of UConn's predicament. They are. Some might even be happy about it (ie ACC's BC and FSU mainly, but others as well). I don't expect either our AD or President to bash the AAC. Opportunities were probably squandered many years ago, before this current administration came to Storrs, and shortsightedness of the State in failing to advance UConn long long ago resulted in the dilemma that we all currently find ourselves. None of us can blame the AAC for UConn's current predicament.

Reaction Score
At the very worst, the Big 12, the ACC and the Big Ten are going to fight over us. Not bad. But couldn't Diaco shut up?

Reaction Score
WE should not hold our breaths, unfortunately. Simply because we partisans want it to happen is not going to make it happen. Just as some people won't forget the things TN did to UConn a decade ago, there are people now in the ACC who will not forget UConn's arrogance back when BC wanted to leave the Big East. Those chickens will be roosting for years to come. I figure that UConn will be fine for a number of years (more than I was willing to give it a couple of years ago), but the decline will occur right around the time Geno retires, whenever that is. The stalwarts will blame it on the change in leadership, but the seeds of the decline were sown back in the years when UConn's athletic department thought it owned the Big East. Just my opinion, and not one I take any pleasure in holding.

Reaction Score
If you think invites are ever coming from the Big 10 or ACC you are delusional unless something radically changes. Rightfully so Geno and CD are among the highest if not the highest paid coaches in women’s basketball but when they leave that trend won’t (can’t) continue. Until then the taxpayers are going to have to foot the bill.

What people seem to forget is that the Big 10 is almost as much about academics as it is athletics. The sharing of professors, research, etc. is integral in the league and don’t forget that the University of Chicago is a member of the Big 10 academically – something most people don’t realize. In addition all Big 10 schools are (or were) a member Association of American Universities (AAU) (I know Nebraska no longer is a member – but they were when they joined.) New members Rutgers and Maryland are. Unless UConn is serious about upgrading academics and applying for membership to the AAU, a Big 10 invite is never coming.

From Wikipedia: “The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. For example, in 2010 the chancellor of nonmember North Carolina State University described it as "the pre-eminent research-intensive membership group. To be a part of that organization is something N.C. State aspires to."[1] A spokesman for nonmember University of Connecticut called it "perhaps the most elite organization in higher education. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a major research university that didn't want to be a member of the AAU.”

Unfortunately by burning the bridges with the ACC with the lawsuit and having BC totally not wanting UConn in, that invite is never coming. BCs athletics have suffered across the board since joining the ACC. What they really don’t want is a New England rival that would compete with the already thin recruiting numbers in New England, plus with the addition of subsidies to athletes, the Catholic schools have already said they won’t be shelling out the large number some of the big state universities are going to give – BC simply does not want the competition by being the only Power 5 university in New England.
You, my friend, are so incorrect. We are a hot commodity.

Reaction Score
WE should not hold our breaths, unfortunately. Simply because we partisans want it to happen is not going to make it happen. Just as some people won't forget the things TN did to UConn a decade ago, there are people now in the ACC who will not forget UConn's arrogance back when BC wanted to leave the Big East. Those chickens will be roosting for years to come. I figure that UConn will be fine for a number of years (more than I was willing to give it a couple of years ago), but the decline will occur right around the time Geno retires, whenever that is. The stalwarts will blame it on the change in leadership, but the seeds of the decline were sown back in the years when UConn's athletic department thought it owned the Big East. Just my opinion, and not one I take any pleasure in holding.
The ACC losing us to the Big Ten would be a blow to their attempt to penetrate the northeast markets.

If you guys don't think the Big Ten has a very strong interest in us, well, then wait and see. Just keep going to games.

Reaction Score
The ACC losing us to the Big Ten would be a blow to their attempt to penetrate the northeast markets.

If you guys don't think the Big Ten has a very strong interest in us, well, then wait and see. Just keep going to games.
You know, I sure do hope you're right, but I have seen not one shred of evidence that this is the case. I would love to see UConn get in the Big 10, but I don't think it qualifies., regardless of how much the Big 10 might want UConn's basketball prowess and regardless of how much it might be willing to overlook UConn's gridiron haplessness. The only place where I hear any positiveness about UConn getting into a different conference is here on the BY. And that's fine, but last time I checked, no one here made the rules for conference membership.

Truth is, for the long term, getting into a major conference is a must for UConn WCBB. The program can succeed on its merits, coaching and recruiting talent and momentum for maybe as many as 8- 10 more years, but beyond that......

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree with much of what has been posted, on both sides of the discussion - because, after all, this is a two sided issue. Just a couple of comments:
- the coaches of the conferences that did not invite UConn almost certainly had nothing to do with that decision. The coaches don't run things.
- apart from any discussions about the whys and wherefores of RU to the B1G, and whether or not it accomplished whatever the B1G thought it would:
---RU worked diligently for a number of years for the B1G invite; the athletic department assumed that the OBE would eventually break apart (in much the way that it did) and recognized once the reorganizations began that it was better to be a mover than a stay-putter. I'm not sure UConn started into the process on as early a basis as RU (and Big Ten membership was on RU's mind long, long before conference realignment became a subject to discuss).
--Speaking to a member of a Student-Athlete committee that was part of the B1G conference governance (that we met accidentally and casually) Rutgers had been on the B1G horizons for a number of years, the committee he was on was advised that the conference was only waiting for the right time to offer RU membership (which had just occurred when we met him).

Reaction Score
UConn has to belong to a conference to be able to schedule their teams. The AAC is as good as any conference outside of the P5.

The big problem is to get an invitation to joint one of the P5.

Unfortunately, they do the invites, all we can do is wait for one. I am sure UConn's president and athletic director know our financial bind and are doing their best to get us an invite.

In the meantime, there is no need to knock the AAC because that may be where we stay for a while.

Maybe we need to throw some games. Make them think we're not all that good anymore. Lessen the fear of taking us on. We could blow say 5 games this year, still make the tournament, but try to win every game by 3 points or less.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe we need to throw some games. Make them think we're not all that good anymore. Lessen the fear of taking us on. We could blow say 5 games this year, still make the tournament, but try to win every game by 3 points or less.
If UCONN blows more than 2 Games this year, Vandy via the SEC will report UCONN for point shaving.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7-- You have strong opinions--but you don't use the inclusive phrases as I used in the phrase of mine you quoted.
I've used "ridiculous" and "silly" many times to describe posters opinions, ideas, etc. If I find them ridiculous or silly, I'll usually let them know.

only people with fixed value systems think any thing is ridiculous
Again, thank you. Having a fixed value system is a very, very good thing. (that was my point)

You have strong opinions, but you don't use insulting words to make your point.
hmmmm, don't think everyone here would agree with you on that one.

You gave me a path to read the stuff the Vols gave to the NCAA--I learned a bit from that--from that I learned to respect you.
You do so at your own folly. I don't try to solicit respect, I prefer fear and loathing. :cool:

Reaction Score
Hiring PP was the pivotal error. It was done for all the wrong reasons. He was the wrong guy at the wrong time. Football is king in the conference alignment game and, just when major conferences were expanding, our football program was regressing. PP squandered the national buzz that Edsall was creating. Had Edsall stayed, or had the idiots who hired PP found a capable replacement, we would have been at least as attractive as Rutgers or Louisville.
We won't be in the game until Football makes the grade. We can only hope that we now have the right coach to get us there in time.

Reaction Score
I've used "ridiculous" and "silly" many times to describe posters opinions, ideas, etc. If I find them ridiculous or silly, I'll usually let them know.

Again, thank you. Having a fixed value system is a very, very good thing. (that was my point)

hmmmm, don't think everyone here would agree with you on that one.

You do so at your own folly. I don't try to solicit respect, I prefer fear and loathing. :cool:
You silly nilly ridiculous fool---how you fall for foolish self servicing comments---now do you feel better?? Tell me what constitutes a silly or ridiculous personal opinion---opinions by nature is how a person feels not facts--I guess it is a much easier to confront people from afar on the internet and use insulting phraseology. The American Snipers, here in, don't read with comprehension, they scan and look for a word or phrase to jump on---making themselves look foolish. It takes only a short time on the Boneyard to know who they are.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You silly nilly ridiculous fool---how you fall for foolish self servicing comments---now do you feel better??
I pretty much always feel fine. Occasionally my knee hurts, but you know I'm getting old.

Tell me what constitutes a silly or ridiculous personal opinion
You know (well maybe you don't), things like, our bench could win a NC, we shouldn't hate TN Vols, Geno ruined Stokes, TN is gonna win the NC this year, silly things like that.

I guess it is a much easier to confront people from afar on the internet and use insulting phraseology.
Yea, pretty easy.

The American Snipers, here in, don't read with comprehension, they scan and look for a word or phrase to jump on---making themselves look foolish. It takes only a short time on the Boneyard to know who they are.

There's a lot who have that problem.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The quality of women's basketball is not the main reason that UConn needs to bolt from the AAC at the first opportunity:

And, oh yes, there is this reality. UConn had the fourth-largest total subsidy among 230 public Division I schools. UConn, at $27.2 million, ran the third-largest deficit. Rutgers, at $36.34 million, was the worst, but these are 2013-14 numbers and Rutgers has since joined the mighty Big Ten.

According to the USA Today methodology, total subsidy is the sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money. In other words, money not generated by the department's athletics functions

At what point can the University no longer afford to run into the red without cutting costs somewhere? Cutting a staff member here and there, cutting back on travel and recruiting budgets, less generous wages for winning coaches.... It will begin slowly but taxpayers will be slow to catch on. UConn must get out of the AAC should the opportunity present itself.

Ominous Financial Times For UConn Athletics, Jeff Jacobs, Courant
I realize that UConn is the center of the universe, with respect to WCBB but as Ive said on this Board and others regarding this subject the "straw that stirs the drink' in NCAA Division I Athletics is FOOTBALL!! UConn has a crappy FB Program and small Stadium. That's why they weren't seriously considered for inclusion in the B1G's expansion. Rutgers and UM were chosen for their access to major TV Markets. Rutgers for the Northeast and NY Metro area and UM for the D.C., VA, Carolinas Market. The B1G Network is the premier Conference Network outdrawing both the SEC Network and the University of Texas Network, the PAC 12 will launch this season in August. Unless and until UConn significantly upgrades its FB Program to a level where its competitive and can upgrade its facilities it will always be left out in the cold. The WBB Team is an outlier in the conference expansion discussion, because it doesn't generate the revenue that the P-5 Conferences are looking for. Geno can when 10 more NC's and it won't matter if the FB Team is still garbage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You silly nilly ridiculous fool---how you fall for foolish self servicing comments---now do you feel better?? Tell me what constitutes a silly or ridiculous personal opinion---opinions by nature is how a person feels not facts--I guess it is a much easier to confront people from afar on the internet and use insulting phraseology. The American Snipers, here in, don't read with comprehension, they scan and look for a word or phrase to jump on---making themselves look foolish. It takes only a short time on the Boneyard to know who they are.
Anyone else wondering if Broadway is really really just a random text generating bot?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum

[Broadway, Some unsolicited advice: take yourself and this board less seriously. You'll last longer and enjoy the board more.]

Reaction Score
It is all about football.The top teams FB programs pay for a lot of their sports teams.That is why Louisville is in the ACC and UConn isn't.They have abetter FB team.I would be surprised if they win 4 games with the schedule they have this year.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Did you watch the Stamford game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads