THIS is why the AAC sucks | The Boneyard

THIS is why the AAC sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The quality of women's basketball is not the main reason that UConn needs to bolt from the AAC at the first opportunity:

And, oh yes, there is this reality. UConn had the fourth-largest total subsidy among 230 public Division I schools. UConn, at $27.2 million, ran the third-largest deficit. Rutgers, at $36.34 million, was the worst, but these are 2013-14 numbers and Rutgers has since joined the mighty Big Ten.

According to the USA Today methodology, total subsidy is the sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money. In other words, money not generated by the department's athletics functions

At what point can the University no longer afford to run into the red without cutting costs somewhere? Cutting a staff member here and there, cutting back on travel and recruiting budgets, less generous wages for winning coaches.... It will begin slowly but taxpayers will be slow to catch on. UConn must get out of the AAC should the opportunity present itself.

Ominous Financial Times For UConn Athletics, Jeff Jacobs, Courant

Reaction Score
UConn must get out of the AAC should the opportunity present itself.

I am no
t privy (not that one) to what goes on with the AD trying to find another Conference that will accept UConn. The problems are a big high, not overwhelming, but high. 1 On any given year both the Uconn Men and /Womens BB teams will dominate. 2. On ANY year Uconn Women BB teams will dominate 3. Uconn Football, using an un-nice word--STINKs. What revenue can Uconn bring to the table of any new Conference?? Unless some Conference wants to enhance their BB TV notoriety/cash --I'm afraid that unless Uconn starts its own conference with top teams (unlikely) the Connecticut's taxpayers, who are asked too often to accept too high taxes shall be burdened for the foreseeable future. The Engineering Dept, and too many others to identify are among the best in their category, regardless of what the naysayers may think, no reductions there . If one looks at the number of unproductive, foolish to have, kneejerk, programs, institutions and groups funded by the State (read Taxpayers) that should be cut--
Do you really think the best programs in Connecticut will feel the axe???

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
--I'm afraid that unless Uconn starts its own conference with top teams (unlikely)

Everyone has known that continuing with the AAC is going to be harmful. Mostly, right now, that's partly perception and significantly financial. That may change at some point. Conferences run in cycles just like everything else in life.

But I bet I've seen half a dozen or more references on this board to starting our own conference. That's not unlikely, that's ridiculous. Exactly which teams that matter are likely to leave the conference they are in that's paying them anywhere from $20-50 million to take a flyer on a new conference that has no TV contracts, will not be a Power conference (at least for some time), and won't even have a conference champion getting into things like March Madness for several years. Sure, let's pull Penn State, Michigan, Kansas, Texas, Ohio State, etc, out of where they are now. I'm sure they'll come running for the chance to be in the same conference as UConn.

It's time to recognize that we have already started our own conference and we're in it right now. It's the best we can presently do. I hope we get the phone call to leave as much as anyone. At this point, Susan needs to keep making big strides in building the endowment and moving us closer to AAU qualification. Warde needs to continue to raise funds specific to athletics, keep the national championship quality of the existing teams, keep the grades of athletes up, and make sure football comes back.

Even doing that, there are no guarantees, but anyone who doesn't believe we are already doing everything we can to move our candidacy forward is just blowing smoke.

Reaction Score
The quality of women's basketball is not the main reason that UConn needs to bolt from the AAC at the first opportunity:

And, oh yes, there is this reality. UConn had the fourth-largest total subsidy among 230 public Division I schools. UConn, at $27.2 million, ran the third-largest deficit. Rutgers, at $36.34 million, wa s the worst, but these are 2013-14 numbers and Rutgers has since joined the mighty Big Ten.

According to the USA Today methodology, total subsidy is the sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money. In other words, money not generated by the department's athletics functions

At what point can the University no longer afford to run into the red without cutting costs somewhere? Cutting a staff member here and there, cutting back on travel and recruiting budgets, less generous wages for winning coaches.... It will begin slowly but taxpayers will be slow to catch on. UConn must get out of the AAC should the opportunity present itself.

Ominous Financial Times For UConn Athletics, Jeff Jacobs, Courant

Is there an incitement here to say that the power broakers are not doing all they can to get us in a more financially stable environment/conference? I must admit that I do not have the answer- but, why is the AAC the cause of our grief? Were we not running deficits in the Athletic Dept going back to the BE days? Perhaps it's not the business of the AAC to cover our cost!

Reaction Score
UConn has to belong to a conference to be able to schedule their teams. The AAC is as good as any conference outside of the P5.

The big problem is to get an invitation to joint one of the P5.

Unfortunately, they do the invites, all we can do is wait for one. I am sure UConn's president and athletic director know our financial bind and are doing their best to get us an invite.

In the meantime, there is no need to knock the AAC because that may be where we stay for a while.

Reaction Score
Georgdi---only people with fixed value systems think any thing is ridiculous, every thing is likely unless by test is proven unlikely.
It would appear that you believe my comment that Uconn start it's own conference wasn't RIDICULOUS--why use a word that would only create bad feelings for you? Your comment that the AAC is the conference Uconn STARTED--seems likely (not ridiculous) that's what happened. Instead of appearing arrogant--you could have said---UCONN ALREADY STARTED their own conference--less insulting.
Phrase ology if one cares even a little to sound civil, is important on any blog.
Most here on the Boneyard believe that UConn AD and management have tried and are trying to move to a more competitive Conference.
The big question who wants Uconn? What can Uconn give them they don't have? What are the negatives of including Uconn??
I strongly believe if the ACC (then, not now) would have made an offer or accepted Uconn's request--we'd be ACC. The Big East would have been a great fit, but Uconn would have to build a bigger Catholic church on campus (joke).

Reaction Score
UCONN Board and its President needs to push from the top down ASAP...........Geno needs to leverage his position, as well...........This is a pivotal year for UCONN...........

Reaction Score
Realistically, the only two possibilities are the ACC or the Big Ten, based on geographical necessities. The ACC is totally complicated because of Notre Dame's wacky stance to remain independent in football. If that ever changed, the ACC would need a 16th member and its most likely invite would be UConn. The Big Ten would need to invite two schools and the irony of ironies is that the two most appropriate institutions are UConn and .........NOTRE DAME. So, like it or not, UConn's Power Five destiny is inextricably linked to Notre Dame and its ridiculously inappropriate "independent" status in football.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn must get out of the AAC should the opportunity present itself.

I am no
t privy (not that one) to what goes on with the AD trying to find another Conference that will accept UConn. The problems are a big high, not overwhelming, but high. 1 On any given year both the Uconn Men and /Womens BB teams will dominate. 2. On ANY year Uconn Women BB teams will dominate 3. Uconn Football, using an un-nice word--STINKs. What revenue can Uconn bring to the table of any new Conference?? Unless some Conference wants to enhance their BB TV notoriety/cash --I'm afraid that unless Uconn starts its own conference with top teams (unlikely) the Connecticut's taxpayers, who are asked too often to accept too high taxes shall be burdened for the foreseeable future. The Engineering Dept, and too many others to identify are among the best in their category, regardless of what the naysayers may think, no reductions there . If one looks at the number of unproductive, foolish to have, kneejerk, programs, institutions and groups funded by the State (read Taxpayers) that should be cut--
Do you really think the best programs in Connecticut will feel the axe???
Overall UCONN could bring more to the ACC than say BC is currently bringing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Overall UCONN could bring more to the ACC than say BC is currently bringing.
Also more than Pitt and Syracuse. BUT from a football perspective, those 3 schools are MUCH better than UCONN at the moment...

Reaction Score
If you think invites are ever coming from the Big 10 or ACC you are delusional unless something radically changes. Rightfully so Geno and CD are among the highest if not the highest paid coaches in women’s basketball but when they leave that trend won’t (can’t) continue. Until then the taxpayers are going to have to foot the bill.

What people seem to forget is that the Big 10 is almost as much about academics as it is athletics. The sharing of professors, research, etc. is integral in the league and don’t forget that the University of Chicago is a member of the Big 10 academically – something most people don’t realize. In addition all Big 10 schools are (or were) a member Association of American Universities (AAU) (I know Nebraska no longer is a member – but they were when they joined.) New members Rutgers and Maryland are. Unless UConn is serious about upgrading academics and applying for membership to the AAU, a Big 10 invite is never coming.

From Wikipedia: “The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. For example, in 2010 the chancellor of nonmember North Carolina State University described it as "the pre-eminent research-intensive membership group. To be a part of that organization is something N.C. State aspires to."[1] A spokesman for nonmember University of Connecticut called it "perhaps the most elite organization in higher education. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a major research university that didn't want to be a member of the AAU.”

Unfortunately by burning the bridges with the ACC with the lawsuit and having BC totally not wanting UConn in, that invite is never coming. BCs athletics have suffered across the board since joining the ACC. What they really don’t want is a New England rival that would compete with the already thin recruiting numbers in New England, plus with the addition of subsidies to athletes, the Catholic schools have already said they won’t be shelling out the large number some of the big state universities are going to give – BC simply does not want the competition by being the only Power 5 university in New England.

Reaction Score
If you think invites are ever coming from the Big 10 or ACC you are delusional unless something radically changes. Rightfully so Geno and CD are among the highest if not the highest paid coaches in women’s basketball but when they leave that trend won’t (can’t) continue. Until then the taxpayers are going to have to foot the bill.

What people seem to forget is that the Big 10 is almost as much about academics as it is athletics. The sharing of professors, research, etc. is integral in the league and don’t forget that the University of Chicago is a member of the Big 10 academically – something most people don’t realize. In addition all Big 10 schools are (or were) a member Association of American Universities (AAU) (I know Nebraska no longer is a member – but they were when they joined.) New members Rutgers and Maryland are. Unless UConn is serious about upgrading academics and applying for membership to the AAU, a Big 10 invite is never coming.

From Wikipedia: “The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. For example, in 2010 the chancellor of nonmember North Carolina State University described it as "the pre-eminent research-intensive membership group. To be a part of that organization is something N.C. State aspires to."[1] A spokesman for nonmember University of Connecticut called it "perhaps the most elite organization in higher education. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a major research university that didn't want to be a member of the AAU.”

Unfortunately by burning the bridges with the ACC with the lawsuit and having BC totally not wanting UConn in, that invite is never coming. BCs athletics have suffered across the board since joining the ACC. What they really don’t want is a New England rival that would compete with the already thin recruiting numbers in New England, plus with the addition of subsidies to athletes, the Catholic schools have already said they won’t be shelling out the large number some of the big state universities are going to give – BC simply does not want the competition by being the only Power 5 university in New England.

Good points all around. Not much to add except that hoping UConn football can get to a bowl a couple of years consecutively and doors will open...

Reaction Score
Eventually the Power 5 Conferences will become the Huge 4 with either 16, 18 or 20 teams in each conference. Anyone of those three numbers would work for football and for basketball with two divisions of 8, 9 or 10 teams. The Big 12 will get swallowed up in the next round of expansion. I would bet that the Texas school in the conference will jump to the Pac 12. The Oklahoma schools to the SEC and the Kansas schools to the Big 10. This is when UConn will find a new home and not until huge expansion happens once again. Yes it sucks, its sad and its unfortunate. Eventually I would love to see Connecticut in the Big 10 because that is where it belongs and not in the ACC or the lame duck AAC. Plenty of chances will take place. When? Great question. No one knows right now.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They should have tried harder to get into a better league a few years ago. I believe there were 3 reasons why so many teams did not want them accepted into their leagues: 1.) Poor football program...2.) Many coaches and league officials did not like Calhoun...3.) Many coaches did not like Geno. I was surprised how many former Big East coaches(who professed to being a friend of Geno) did not play Uconn after the Big East broke up....most of them used the line: "We can't fit them into our schedule."
I disagree with the many fans who say that the AAC is just like the Big East was years ago. This is a different time and era, so that doesn't hold up. Many say it will take "years for the AAC to develop."........I will be 6 feet under by then.
How about Uonn's Athletic Director's statement when talking about the ACC, and the position Uconn is in: "It is what it is."....sounds like he's really trying his best to remedy the situation.

Reaction Score

I have no idea why UConn is not a member of the AAU, but it is ranked academically ahead of several Big10 schools that are members, at least according to the hopelessly unscientific U.S. News reports. That would indicate that membership is not an impossible task, even without the "upgrades" you seem to think are necessary. I agree with you, though, that membership is absolutely vital for entry into the Big10; not so much for the ACC.

Reaction Score
They should have tried harder to get into a better league a few years ago. I believe there were 3 reasons why so many teams did not want them accepted into their leagues: 1.) Poor football program...2.) Many coaches and league officials did not like Calhoun...3.) Many coaches did not like Geno. I was surprised how many former Big East coaches(who professed to being a friend of Geno) did not play Uconn after the Big East broke up....most of them used the line: "We can't fit them into our schedule."
I disagree with the many fans who say that the AAC is just like the Big East was years ago. This is a different time and era, so that doesn't hold up. Many say it will take "years for the AAC to develop."...I will be 6 feet under by then.
How about Uonn's Athletic Director's statement when talking about the ACC, and the position Uconn is in: "It is what it is."....sounds like he's really trying his best to remedy the situation.

What you are saying her may very well be true, but to deny and to turn away the presence of two high profile, highly successful, Hall of Fame coaches with highly successful high caliber programs would be biting one's nose to spite their face. You do not have to like people to work with and to benefit from them.
With only two seasons of the realigned conferences, it is a bit unfair to blame coaches for not being able to fit UConn into their respective schedules. Sometimes the openings just are not there what with conference commitments and contractual obligations, many of which are made years in advance.

There will never be a basketball conference like the old Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you. I find many things ridiculous.
Ah, so we can assume then that your value system isn't broken? That's nice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, teams in the P5 really don't care what UConn does with championships. Time will run out eventually as UConn is already operating in the red. UConn will no longer be able to pay Geno and other great coaches what they deserve. So, they leave or retire.

Unless UConn can bring more to the table to deserve an invite, the future does not look very re-assuring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn brings tremendous amount to a P5 conference.

Yes, there is the Men's basketball unequaled success over the last 16 years and the Woman's unprecedented basketball success but there is a lot more.

UConn plays many sports at a very high level, that's important for conferences with there own networks.

UConn brings the New Haven/ Hartford DMA with about 2 million people, plus nearly another million people in the NYC DMA. It is the most attractive TV product in the G5.

Connecticut consistently is one of the most affluent states in the nation that is desirable to advertisers. Ad revenue is the next way to monetize college sports.

UConn is a football school. We had tremendous success early on and no doubt will again. "It's doable."

UConn is a land grand college, it is very similar in that regard to the schools of the Big 10.

UConn is a good academic school with a great trend line in it's national academic perception.

UConn leads a new paradigm for state funded research. The legislature's support of the UConn has been noticed in academic circles.

For a more detailed discussion of these points and others CLICK HERE.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
What you are saying her may very well be true, but to deny and to turn away the presence of two high profile, highly successful, Hall of Fame coaches with highly successful high caliber programs would be biting one's nose to spite their face. You do not have to like people to work with and to benefit from them.
With only two seasons of the realigned conferences, it is a bit unfair to blame coaches for not being able to fit UConn into their respective schedules. Sometimes the openings just are not there what with conference commitments and contractual obligations, many of which are made years in advance.

There will never be a basketball conference like the old Big East.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In 2011, Boston College openly told the Boston Globe that they told the ACC they did not want Uconn to join the league. The ACC originally wanted Syracuse and Uconn. When BC opposed Uconn, the ACC chose Pittsburgh instead.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I find many things ridiculous.
Meyers7-- You have strong opinions--but you don't use the inclusive phrases as I used in the phrase of mine you quoted. only people with fixed value systems think any thing is ridiculous I don't like those that use --ridiculous to validate an argument or any "turn off" word. It usually means they have no valid argument. .You have strong opinions, but you don't use insulting words to make your point.
We as all speaking OPINIONS here---as Geno once said Opinions are like armpits some stink--but unless a poster is PERFECT in everything he/she does, they should be a bit more accepting. I know I have violated this, but I try. You gave me a path to read the stuff the Vols gave to the NCAA--I learned a bit from that--from that I learned to respect you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The biggest problem UConn had was that the merry-go-round stopped with UConn next on line. We're a P5 school with a P5 budget that's going to have to try to survive on a G5 budget.

Realignment was prompted by the expiration of television contracts and once those contracts were sealed, the checkbooks were put away and realignment stopped right in front of us. Everything that could have gone wrong for UConn in realignment did go wrong.

And if you think UConn has less to offer than Syracuse or Boston College or Rutgers or about 2/3rds of the current power five, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem UConn had was that the merry-go-round stopped with UConn next on line. We're a P5 school with a P5 budget that's going to have to try to survive on a G5 budget.

Realignment was prompted by the expiration of television contracts and once those contracts were sealed, the checkbooks were put away and realignment stopped right in front of us. Everything that could have gone wrong for UConn in realignment did go wrong.

And if you think UConn has less to offer than Syracuse or Boston College or Rutgers or about 2/3rds of the current power five, I don't know what to tell you.

To whom were your speaking/writing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer