This is why I've lost respect for Jeff Walz | The Boneyard

This is why I've lost respect for Jeff Walz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
(CD post game) Offense struggled, but a lot had to do with how Louisville plays defensively. They're physical and hold a lot. They foul on every possession and make (it) difficult for the officials.

(At least ETT will "like" this post, :) )

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If players didn't try and get away with what they could get away with, there would be no refs.

For years we talked with pride about the "tough" Big East and with thinly veiled disdain about the "finesse" West Coast.

Remember UConn manhandled Kelly Mazzante??

I guess respect is in the eye of the beholder.

Reaction Score
I lost respect for Jeff the first time he showed up for a game without a tie.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Well-coached player are told to play physically until the refs blow the whistle then to adjust to the refs. The refs swallowed their whistle in the first half.
Yeah, but this game seemed more physical than most. Even I saw it, and the players were visibly annoyed.

Reaction Score
If players didn't try and get away with what they could get away with, there would be no refs.

For years we talked with pride about the "tough" Big East and with thinly veiled disdain about the "finesse" West Coast.

Remember UConn manhandled Kelly Mazzante??

I guess respect is in the eye of the beholder.
Has a UConn player ever gone out with the intention of injuring another player? Can't recall such an incident, but Louisville certainly tried that one on Stef last year in the final game with about 7 minutes left in the ball game down by 30.

Reaction Score
(CD post game) Offense struggled, but a lot had to do with how Louisville plays defensively. They're physical and hold a lot. They foul on every possession and make (it) difficult for the officials.

(At least ETT will "like" this post, :) )

How would something like this make you lose respect for Walz? He had his kids playing as hard as they possibly could. If the officials are not going to call fouls it is not Walz's fault it is the officials.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think the next emphasis will be on cleaning up play in the post. Until that happens, I have no problem with teams testing the refs and seeing what they can get away with. I credit Geno for not complaining too much and expecting his team to play through it.

BTW, CD's point was not so much to criticize the officials but to talk about her team overcoming the physical play and figuring out how to play through it and score.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, but this game seemed more physical than most. Even I saw it, and the players were visibly annoyed.
Oh, I was annoyed too but the physicality of the game was what the refs allowed. I can't blame Walz ot the Louisville kids for that.

Reaction Score
Has a UConn player ever gone out with the intention of injuring another player? Can't recall such an incident, but Louisville certainly tried that one on Stef last year in the final game with about 7 minutes left in the ball game down by 30.

Stop it!

U

UCONNfan1

Then it's up to Geno to start yammering in the ref's ears. Walz does it all the time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Louisville. has always played like this. This is the first time I can recall that the refs let it go this long.

Many coaches subscribe to the "they can't call every foul" theory and I think Walz is one of them

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Seems like a lot of American teams are playing pretty chippy and physical this year. USF definitely looks ready to be like the old Rutgers, and even SMU the last game was pushing hard in the post. To me it's more a sign of teams wanting to get respect and show they're tough enough to move up and become like the old BEast teams. Not a bad sign at all to take what the refs give you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sportscasters had predictedteams would play UConn physically this year. UConn's bench is thin and opponents want to wear them down or keep Stewie from taking over (good luck with that, lol). No surprises here.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Louisville. has always played like this. This is the first time I can recall that the refs let it go this long.

Many coaches subscribe to the "they can't call every foul" theory and I think Walz is one of them
So that makes it okay? Perhaps I'm getting too old.

Reaction Score
Louisville played tough and stuff wasn't called.
But it went two ways and our kids weren't angels either.
True, but the difference is that it's not integral to UConn's strategy. Geno gets just as irritated when they commit fouls as he does when they turn the ball over. Geno's game plan is to play the most perfect basketball you possibly can which if he had it his way would mean zero fouls and zero turnovers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Given how short our bench is, I'm not complaining about the refs keeping their whistles in their pockets. Agree, that there was a lot of contact out there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have gained a lot of respect for Jeff over the years and continue to think he is a great game coach. His players play a tough physical game of basketball and take what the refs allow, but they also know how to dial it back based on what the refs are calling. His teams have beaten a lot of teams with a lot more talent because he devises a game plan and gets his kids to buy in, and he knows how to adjust on the fly. If he ever gets really top talent watch out - he has taken very flawed teams to the championship game and he was a big part of that MD NC team.
I agree that one foul last year was over the top, but so did Jeff and he yanked the player immediately.

Reaction Score
I have gained a lot of respect for Jeff over the years and continue to think he is a great game coach. His players play a tough physical game of basketball and take what the refs allow, but they also know how to dial it back based on what the refs are calling. His teams have beaten a lot of teams with a lot more talent because he devises a game plan and gets his kids to buy in, and he knows how to adjust on the fly. If he ever gets really top talent watch out - he has taken very flawed teams to the championship game and he was a big part of that MD NC team.
I agree that one foul last year was over the top, but so did Jeff and he yanked the player immediately.
Yep. A credit to him. I'm not a fan of the physical games. They tend to hurt UConn and their style of play, and really it makes for ugly basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yep. A credit to him. I'm not a fan of the physical games. They tend to hurt UConn and their style of play, and really it makes for ugly basketball.
Part of that is the privilege of having very talented teams - anyone who 'has the most talent' wants a very clean game, anyone coaching a team that has inferior talent generally wants to muddy up the game.

Reaction Score

Not every foul is intended. Who would decide which team gets the ball after it has gone out of bounds? Who decides when a tie up has occurred? How much time remains? If an opponent has entered the lane early on a foul shot, or remained there too long? Those who deliberately flaunt the rules disrespect the game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Going back to the OP, I'll buy the physical and hold, I seriously doubt they foul on every play - that's coach speak.

Also, to the immediate preceding post - it is not disrespect to push and find out where the ref's draw the line. Generally teams who keep pushing the limit lose. Unless a team is very, very good, a significant foul discrepancy dooms them.

Reaction Score
People, remember that no team in the AAC had a chance to beat UCONN so they figure to play as chippy as they can knowing that the incompetent refs will call at least 50% of the fouls against UCONN and maybe get Stef, Breanna,Bria, etc. in major foul trouble! You will see this in the AAC Tourney, and the NCAA's! They only play this way because the refs give them a chance to win or at least keep it close! The refs can end that tactic by calling the fouls the way they happen but the're incapable of doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom