This freshman will DOMINATE Womens Basketball! | The Boneyard

This freshman will DOMINATE Womens Basketball!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USC's Judea "Juju" Watkins. I've seen her play in person twice. She was "clearly" the best player on the floor. She's the real deal. She WILL play in the WNBA, and be a high first-round draft choice. She's as good as she's touted to be. She was the number 1 ranked player in her HS class. She's can't miss. I completely endorse EVERYTHING the commentator says here. You can believe the hype. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not exactly going out there on a limb by saying she'll be great since she's either the #1 or #2 player by who ever's ranking you use. ;)

As a guard everyone should expect her to be an immediate impact player. The Judea Watkins vs Mikaylah Williams freshman years should be interesting to see unfold. With everyone transfering to LSU and all of the Super Team talk, Mikaylah Williams is like the forgotten #1/#2 recruit out of HS.

Reaction Score
USC's Judea "Juju" Watkins. I've seen her play in person twice. She was "clearly" the best player on the floor. She's the real deal. She WILL play in the WNBA, and be a high first-round draft choice. She's as good as she's touted to be. She was the number 1 ranked player in her HS class. She's can't miss. I completely endorse EVERYTHING the commentator says here. You can believe the hype. ;)

Judea is going to be a program changer. I can't wait for the season to start.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Not exactly going out there on a limb by saying she'll be great since she's either the #1 or #2 player by who ever's ranking you use. ;)

As a guard everyone should expect her to be an immediate impact player. The Judea Watkins vs Mikaylah Williams freshman years should be interesting to see unfold. With everyone transfering to LSU and all of the Super Team talk, Mikaylah Williams is like the forgotten #1/#2 recruit out of HS.
True, but Williams is still going to start from Day 1 for LSU.

Reaction Score
Bookmark this post but I sincerely believe by the time NCAAT comes around Williams will be one of LSU's better players. I also am fairly certain she will be one of their better perimeter shooters especially from 3. Not to degrade any of the past player but she is easily LSU's best incoming freshmen recruit since Augustus and Fowles. What all this looks like statistically, I'm not quite sure given the supporting cast has a lot of experience and talent as well.

Juju if she can stay healthy likely has big year as well. I'd think she would have more opportunity than Williams to be the centerpiece of their perspective team this season.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith
Johnson
Williams
Reese
Morrow
that's pretty small for especially for sec play;) morrow and Williams are both 6' feet tall. Hailey Van Lith is the new pg even thought she never played pg at Louisville
Interested GIF by reactionseditor
?

Reaction Score
that's pretty small for especially for sec play;) morrow and Williams are both 6' feet tall. Hailey Van Lith is the new pg even thought she never played pg at Louisville
?
I mean Mulkey played Chloe Jackson at PG and they made it work nicely. One would think they employ the same strategy with Hailey Van Lith. Poole and Velez are options if LSU is hitting the desperation button (which aren't terrible choices either) but I suspect Hailey Van Lith will be off the ball at times when either of those come in.

LSU is bigger on the perimeter this year, they do take a step back though at the 5 position losing Ladazhia (6'4). But Ladazhia was the tallest player on LSU's team last year and she got out rebounded by teammates smaller pretty regularly. They will need to get Rosario their 6'6 freshmen up to speed though for specific games this year at times as Reese isn't going to guard 6'4+ players well unless they resort to completely collapsing the pain which they never did last season.

Reaction Score
JuJu is good. Very good! No denying that. Plus, she should be given the reigns pretty quickly on a SoCal team that is short on talent.

I don’t see Mulkey giving Williams as much responsibility as JuJu will probably have to shoulder. Plus, don’t be shocked If another freshman guard outshines them. Predicting freshman seasons is always tricky. Neither Betts nor Rice came close to domination last year. (Has anybody heard how Taniya Ladson's rehab is going)

And then , OP used the words “dominate” wbb. That puts her on a long, thin limb. Paige had a year of near domination but met a really tough senior guard in the final four and was not fully healthy the next year - though taking her team to the big game. Was that "domination? (Pretty darn close if not). Clark had a year of domination but was held in check at the championship game. Is that domination? (She dominated my team.:()

Dominate is so hard to live up to. The last truly dominant player was Stewie. A'ja was not quite there in college but still has a chance to reach that level in the W. Britney? Sabrina? Nah, not quite.

But I'm not the wise seer of Carsonville.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JuJu is good. Very good! No denying that. Plus, she should be given the reigns pretty quickly on a SoCal team that is short on talent.

I don’t see Mulkey giving Williams as much responsibility as JuJu will probably have to shoulder. Plus, don’t be shocked If another freshman guard outshines them. Predicting freshman seasons is always tricky. Neither Betts nor Rice came close to domination last year. (Has anybody heard how Taniya Ladson's rehab is going)

And then , OP used the words “dominate” wbb. That puts her on a long, thin limb. Paige had a year of near domination but met a really tough senior guard in the final four and was not fully healthy the next year - though taking her team to the big game. Was that "domination? (Pretty darn close if not). Clark had a year of domination but was held in check at the championship game. Is that domination? (She dominated my team.:()

Dominate is so hard to live up to. The last truly dominant player was Stewie. A'ja was not quite there in college but still has a chance to reach that level in the W. Britney? Sabrina? Nah, not quite.

Agreed. The term "dominate" is used too liberally by sports media and others to create hype. Too many freshman have been labelled that way and never lived up to it. It's not fair as everyone comes into their own at their own pace.

Watkins is an exciting athlete to watch and I hope she has a great season. I'm just going to have snacks on hand and watch when USC plays to see what happens.

Reaction Score
I mean Mulkey played Chloe Jackson at PG and they made it work nicely. One would think they employ the same strategy with Hailey Van Lith. Poole and Velez are options if LSU is hitting the desperation button (which aren't terrible choices either) but I suspect Hailey Van Lith will be off the ball at times when either of those come in.

LSU is bigger on the perimeter this year, they do take a step back though at the 5 position losing Ladazhia (6'4). But Ladazhia was the tallest player on LSU's team last year and she got out rebounded by teammates smaller pretty regularly. They will need to get Rosario their 6'6 freshmen up to speed though for specific games this year at times as Reese isn't going to guard 6'4+ players well unless they resort to completely collapsing the pain which they never did last season.
Imo I predict alot of games with lsu post players in foul trouble with so little post depth.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Agreed. The term "dominate" is used too liberally by sports media and others to create hype. Too many freshman have been labelled that way and never lived up to it. It's not fair as everyone comes into their own at their own pace.

Watkins is an exciting athlete to watch and I hope she has a great season. I'm just going to have snacks on hand and watch when USC plays to see what happens.
Agreed.

I think Watkins has all of the tools. I hope she does become the dominant player in WCBB. A kid from Watts, that’s what I like…

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oh you mean kind of like A’ja Wilson did with the East Coast SC? The big difference is Dawn knows how to actual coach players up and win where as Lindsay Gottlieb…well, Doesn’t….:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
School funded NIL per season ?

Hailey Van Lith -NIL = 100k
Johnson - NIL = 100k
Williams -NIL = 100k
Reese -NIL = 100k
Morrow -NIL = 100k

Reaction Score
Oh you mean kind of like A’ja Wilson did with the East Coast SC? The big difference is Dawn knows how to actual coach players up and win where as Lindsay Gottlieb…well, Doesn’t….:rolleyes:
And as we are hoping Ashlyn Watkins, Milaysia Fulwiley and Joyce Edwards will do again. HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE

Reaction Score

Nice post. Also, I suspect one of the guards on your team, Miss Fulwiley, will have a very impactful season. Like I’ve stated before in previous posts, she is going to do a lot of awesome things during her time at SCar.
At this time, I would like to wish all the players at UConn, as well as their opponents, both scheduled and unscheduled, a successful season. A season where great things happen academically and athletically, and remains relatively injury free. But a season where UConn hoists the championship trophy at the end of the year!!!

Reaction Score
Nice post. Also, I suspect one of the guards on your team, Miss Fulwiley, will have a very impactful season. Like I’ve stated before in previous posts, she is going to do a lot of awesome things during her time at SCar.
At this time, I would like to wish all the players at UConn, as well as their opponents, both scheduled and unscheduled, a successful season. A season where great things happen academically and athletically, and remains relatively injury free. But a season where UConn hoists the championship trophy at the end of the year!!!
Williams and Watkins will get alot more freshman minutes in their first year(s).. Milaysia will be behind Raven and Poa Poa, and won't see as many minutes against other quality teams (and we will face many more high quality non-conference opponents than SoCal or LSU). Plus, Dawn will probably restrict her more than W&W will be restricted. However, I see her getting increased minutes when we start conference play against average opponents. We may not see her faced off with Williams at all - as a frosh. Overall in her freshman year, she will get much fewer touches than W&W.

Now, well see what she looks like as a junior when she gets total freedom of ball control. I expect her to rivals W&W by that year and her faceoffs with Williams could be the stuff of legends.

Milaysia can run, shoot and pass (and steal) with anybody in the fast game We'll see how she develops as a floor general and defender in the half court game. Can she make the disciplined entry passes to BIG teammates that Dawn will always require? Can she make good picks? Can she switch off a pick on defense? Can she defend a hot shooter? ( I know she can defend another pg bringing the ball upcourt.) That's what she has to learn before she gets serious minutes against quality opponents.

But, I ain't Dawn.

Reaction Score
?
I certainly think Coler's projected starting lineup is a possibility and perhaps the best 5 players, but size and a question mark at PG could mean greater chemistry with another line up. Hailey Van Lith will start but it could be at her more natural SG position. If that is the case Williams is competing with her at the 2 and Johnson or maybe even Morrow at the 3. Then starting is far from certain.

Regarding the size issue I'm not sure if Reese wants to be a 5. If they want to go big Rosario could start at the 5. I don't think that is probable, but do think it is possible, and if that happens Morrow probably moves to the 3 and Williams might not start in that scenario either despite her talent. She will play plenty starter or not, but LSU has questions at the 1 and the 5 and more than enough answers at 2-4.

Maybe Hailey Van Lith can be good at the point, but at a minimum it would be a major change in mindset for her. Morrow also could face a challenge regarding being used out of position. I think she is best as an undersized 4, but that is Reese's spot. Morrow could be a good 3, but doesn't have the perimeter skills to be nearly as good there as at the 4.

Kim added loads of talent from the portal, but now has the challenge of figuring out how to make it fit. She obviously took on that challenge knowing she may have to put a square peg in a round hole every once in a while, but knowing her less than obvious fits are extremely talented.

How she manages this will be one of the most interesting things about this upcoming season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Agreed. Sure, I was disappointed that she didn’t pick us, but you’ve gotta respect a kid who is willing to try to save her hometown U
Few things in WCBB shock me. Watkins going to USC did. No one had any idea which way she was leaning as there was zero news leaked from her camp before her reveal.

I had her going to either SC or UCLA. Few players as high profile as she is are staying home. I wonder if she’ll be able to pull other top-ranked players to Troy. USC WBB has been a second-tier team in the PAC 12 for decades.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Few things in WCBB shock me. Watkins going to USC did. No one had any idea which way she was leaning as there was zero news leaked from her camp before her reveal.

I had her going to either SC or UCLA. Few players as high profile as she is are staying home. I wonder if she’ll be able to pull other top-ranked players to Troy. USC WBB has been a second-tier team in the PAC 12 for decades.
SC had a really good chance with Watkins, but the pull to stay home was way too strong. I wish her nothing but success with the Trojans. Great bball player.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

USC also has Aaliyah Gayles who was the #8 player in the 2022 returning this season after sitting out last year while recovering from getting shot. The question is how much of the player she was before that will she be?

Carnac

Reaction Score
USC also has Aaliyah Gayles who was the #8 player in the 2022 returning this season after sitting out last year while recovering from getting shot. The question is how much of the player she was before that will she be?
I would like to follow Watkins and the USC WBB team, but their games are almost never on TV. Their games are exclusively televised on the PAC 12 Network which is not available on Direct TV.

I’ll have to wait until they transition to the B1G. Perhaps then their games will be more accessible on local outlets I.e., Fox, ESPN, CBSSN, CW, etc. I can’t remember the last time a USC WBB game was on TV. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom