This Can't End Well | The Boneyard

This Can't End Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It seems that many things are being thrown around at the "plus one" negotiations table. One of them is letting the conferences control the bowl games instead of the NCAA. That's right; the conferences! I wonder which conferences will benefit from said move and what the disparity for the other conferences will be...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...onferences-not-ncaa-could-oversee-bowl-games/

Son of a ......

(Also, is it just my imagination, or does something bad happen every time that Emmert's name is mentioned? Kinda like Voldemort.)

Reaction Score
It seems that many things are being thrown around at the "plus one" negotiations table. One of them is letting the conferences control the bowl games instead of the NCAA. That's right; the conferences! I wonder which conferences will benefit from said move and what the disparity for the other conferences will be...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...onferences-not-ncaa-could-oversee-bowl-games/

Son of a ......

(Also, is it just my imagination, or does something bad happen every time that Emmert's name is mentioned? Kinda like Voldemort.)
Ha, the comments all have ND joining up with someone... serves them right for not kissing Emmert's . Us? We're screwed every way we could be.

Reaction Score
From the sound of this, UConn will be frozen out of the loop. The Big 4 conferences will own the post season & there's no need to expand as it would only decrease the profit margin. The Big 10 will own the Northeast & the Big 12 is not a fit regionally. I don't see UConn as the northern outlier of the SEC.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
From the sound of this, UConn will be frozen out of the loop. The Big 4 conferences will own the post season & there's no need to expand as it would only decrease the profit margin. The Big 10 will own the Northeast & the Big 12 is not a fit regionally. I don't see UConn as the northern outlier of the SEC.

That seems a bit pessimistic to me. The concept of it being ONLY 4 power conferences was just thrown out by the writer...it wasn't based on any inside information.

If this happens...There is no way the ACC isn't in the mix (still not buying FSU/CLemson to Big 12) and I think this will force ND to a conference and I still think the most likely conference for them is the ACC. If that happens...we have a decent shot at being the 16th in the ACC.

Reaction Score
i have to say i do like the idea of making bowl eligibility mean having a winning record at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Maybe "Power Broker", ESPN can be a good corporate neighbor and see to it that UConn finds a home in a major conference.

Reaction Score
if i were ND and was really cheesed at the other conferences trying to force me in, i think the best way to really piss them off would be to join the BE for football. it would piss off the B1G and everyone else b/c the BE would be locked in as a power conference, diluting the money they'd make from a playoff. for ND it would be beneficial b/c Marinnatto would give them the most ridiculously favorable contract one could ever imagine. we'd probably end up letting them play 9 OOC games, keep their own TV deal, and he'd probably throw them another $5 million/year on top of that as a tariff.

Reaction Score
This has gotten reeeediculous... smh... It's all money driven... And you guys think giving a student athlete a free education is worth pimping them? In a way yeah, but that's only 4 years of their life... You can "push" kids through the system ( you know the ones that make the most impact.. the starters... like the ones you saw last night in the bball Natl Championship game from Kentucky ) very easily... With all the "rules" in place, bottom line, you can't stop it...

What's wrong with things the way they are? Kids get to play in bowl games on Nat'l TV now... They have fun the fans enjoy the excitement.. Alls that's happening now is that their creating a legit minor league system for the NFL... The SEC is already there... Seems like they're trying to recruit 3 more conferences.. and create a $100Billion dollar industry... ( enough already )

Reaction Score
i don't see what the problem is with this.

I think taking the NCAA out of the equation aside from being a monitor as to minimum qualification standards for 1-A status and participation, and ensuring student-athlete status, whatever that means....is a great idea.

THe entire problem with the college football world around broadcasting, and the college football post season comes from the NCAA's involvement in broadcasting deals and non-involvement in the college football post season structurally historically. Do I need to give another history lesson? Yes - short one. THe NCAA was formed as a measure to ensure safety on the field in college footbal over a 100 years ago now. College football is the reason the NCAA exists. The NCAA failed to establish a post season structure to determine a national champion from day 1 of the NCAA's existence. THe NCAA let the media and conference leadership rule college football post season events. BUT - when TV money started getting into the picture, the NCAA stepped in. The NCAA decided who was worthy of broadcasting money and exposure from 1939 - 1984, and there were about 10-12 programs nationally that were the chosen few for nearly 50 years. The Supreme Court decided that wasn't going to be the case anymore in 1984, and the flood gates opened, and the chain reaction of movement in conferences and the explosion in television revenue, and the beginning of teh great divide in college athletics money - went into full gear with Penn State in 1990, and has only been accelerating since.

taking the NCAA out of the post season picture, aside from being the hall monitor on minimum standards, is a great idea.

THe next step is for college football fans and businesses, and media nationwide to demand a national playoff structure that mirrors what exists in 1-AA. Let the bowls sort themselves out. No reason for invitation bowls to go away or end, or can't be done at the same time as a playoff. When the business model is changed such that they actually expect competitive teams and games at all the bowls, the majority of corruption around it will end.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
i don't see what the problem is with this.

I think taking the NCAA out of the equation aside from being a monitor as to minimum qualification standards for 1-A status and participation, and ensuring student-athlete status, whatever that means....is a great idea.

THe entire problem with the college football world around broadcasting, and the college football post season comes from the NCAA's involvement in broadcasting deals and non-involvement in the college football post season structurally historically. Do I need to give another history lesson? Yes - short one. THe NCAA was formed as a measure to ensure safety on the field in college footbal over a 100 years ago now. College football is the reason the NCAA exists. The NCAA failed to establish a post season structure to determine a national champion from day 1 of the NCAA's existence. THe NCAA let the media and conference leadership rule college football post season events. BUT - when TV money started getting into the picture, the NCAA stepped in. The NCAA decided who was worthy of broadcasting money and exposure from 1939 - 1984, and there were about 10-12 programs nationally that were the chosen few for nearly 50 years. The Supreme Court decided that wasn't going to be the case anymore in 1984, and the flood gates opened, and the chain reaction of movement in conferences and the explosion in television revenue, and the beginning of teh great divide in college athletics money - went into full gear with Penn State in 1990, and has only been accelerating since.

taking the NCAA out of the post season picture, aside from being the hall monitor on minimum standards, is a great idea.

THe next step is for college football fans and businesses, and media nationwide to demand a national playoff structure that mirrors what exists in 1-AA. Let the bowls sort themselves out. No reason for invitation bowls to go away or end, or can't be done at the same time as a playoff. When the business model is changed such that they actually expect competitive teams and games at all the bowls, the majority of corruption around it will end.

This would sign the death warrant for Uconn FB as a BCS level program.

Allowing the Sec, B1G, ND, and Texas (nee B12) control bowl games, postseason games and thereby TV revenue would destroy NE FB chances at ascension.

Access to prime TV exposure, warm weather bowl games and meaningful postseason matchups and the money generated therefrom is the lifeblood of a CFB program. It's like air. Eliminating NCAA oversight would doom any unaffiliated program to second tier status.

We are too close to oblivion for my liking right now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
keep in mind this report is by Dennis Dodd. his track record is pretty poor. can anyone really see the NCAA giving up any control over the football postseaston? personally i didn't think they had any control over it to begin with, but i've never known any bureaucratic, red-tape organization to ever voluntarily cede control over anything, much less come up with the idea.

Reaction Score
Interesting times we live in folks. in the 130+ years of college football, we have never been closer to a college football postseason to determine a true national champion at the highest level of competition.

The only people that don't want it to happen at this point are the closed minded academics that think that 14 games for 8 teams, 15 games for 4 teams, and 16 games for 2 teams is too much for the student-athletes to handle in an academic year....

and the invitation bowl committes that have been reaping the benefits of the system they created for a century.

The media, public and potentially political backlash that would come from the SEC/Big 10/Pac 12 leadership trying to establish their own playoff system without including the conference winners from the rest of the country would be fun to watch.

The NCAA needs to step away for that happen, Sherman anti-trust in 1984 made it so.

Reaction Score
This would sign the death warrant for Uconn FB as a BCS level program.

Allowing the Sec, B1G, ND, and Texas (nee B12) control bowl games, postseason games and thereby TV revenue would destroy NE FB chances at ascension.

Access to prime TV exposure, warm weather bowl games and meaningful postseason matchups and the money generated therefrom is the lifeblood of a CFB program. It's like air. Eliminating NCAA oversight would doom any unaffiliated program to second tier status.

We are too close to oblivion for my liking right now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

This, to me, sounds more exclusive, opportunity-wise than the BCS. The cry is to make the FB post-season more logical with the top-tier bowls more accessible as it relates to both team quality and revenue opportunities. This "proposal" ain't even close.

My guess is that lawyers will be lined up from sea to shining sea. And politicians? Righteous indignation disguised as appeals for good old American fairness will become a sport.

A real circus, but it ain't over yet.

Reaction Score
This, to me, sounds more exclusive, opportunity-wise than the BCS. The cry is to make the FB post-season more logical with the top-tier bowls more accessible as it relates to both team quality and revenue opportunities. This "proposal" ain't even close.

My guess is that lawyers will be lined up from sea to shining sea. And politicians? Righteous indignation disguised as appeals for good old American fairness will become a sport.

A real circus, but it ain't over yet.

Exactly. THe NCAA as a governing institution for college football, especially the post season, has a 100 year track record of crap. To the point where the NCAA as an organization was on trial in front of the supreme court for operating in such a way as to violate anti-trust law around college football, and was found guilty.

THe key to this stage of the dominoes falling, as I see it, is that the NCAA needs to maintain a monitoring and granting status for eligibility to compete in a college football post season, and leave the NCAA involvement at that, and that only...and let free market economic, social and political forces take over from there, and that's exactly what's apparently been recommended by NCAA counsel and sent to the conference leadership in 1-A football nationally. (I refuse to use BCS terminology)

THe public, media, and political backlash nationwide to a bastardized playoff system based on the BCS? Oh boy.

ESPN's BCS ratings are going steadly downhill already, and it's no frigging coincidence that three lowest rated national championship viewership games in BCS history, featured teams that were NOT conference winners.

Reaction Score
2002 was a critical year for the Big East conference. I've talked at length about how that year was handled by the big east conference, especially in the media. Miami won the national title in football (we - UConn - played them that year)

There was a HUGE national backlash to the BCS system in 2002. It wasn't because of Miami though. That's the misconception that's been perpetuated today. That the Big east is this black sheep. The big east was the power football conference nationally back then. Vtech and Miami were regular top 5 teams in teh country and Syracuse and west virginia weren't far behind.

The backlash then - was Nebraska. Nebraska played the national title game in 2002 against Miami - and lost. Nebraska did not win their conference title in 2002. There were several programs out there across the country that felt they should be in the national title game. That game was boycotted on TV nationwide.

The big east leadership sat by in NYC.....and talked about the importance of the names on the back of St. John's basketball players uniforms......let Oregon promote Joey Harrington for the Heisman......been there - talked about that enough.....

BUt here it is 10 years later, and LSU v. Alabama drew less viewership for the title game than they did for the regular season matchup.

Market forces need to drive the college football post season to a meaninful structure for a national title. The NCAA stepping away, from any legal involvement, is the next step.

Reaction Score
BUt here it is 10 years later, and LSU v. Alabama drew less viewership for the title game than they did for the regular season matchup. .

there's 3 reasons i didn't watch the NC game. 1. the first LSU/AL game was painful to sit through. 2. it's on Monday night. screw them, and screw them last night for starting it at 930. 3. i like the NC game to be a compelling matchup i don't see every day, not the same matchup i've already seen and been bored by, and basically boycotted the game for leaving out OkState in lieu of a rematch.

i think a lot of viewers agreed with me, and i think the low ratings are more of a one off, than a trend. i think if last year's NC game was LSU/OKSt there would have been more TV viewers. if next year's game is Michigan/Texas, viewers will tune in.

Reaction Score
there's 3 reasons i didn't watch the NC game. 1. the first LSU/AL game was painful to sit through. 2. it's on Monday night. screw them, and screw them last night for starting it at 930. 3. i like the NC game to be a compelling matchup i don't see every day, not the same matchup i've already seen and been bored by, and basically boycotted the game for leaving out OkState in lieu of a rematch.

i think a lot of viewers agreed with me, and i think the low ratings are more of a one off, than a trend. i think if last year's NC game was LSU/OKSt there would have been more TV viewers. if next year's game is Michigan/Texas, viewers will tune in.

Why MIchigan and Texas? Based on the past 20 years, if nothing changes, or if it changes in a bad way, and Michigan and Texas play a national title game this year, but Oklahoma actuall wins the big 12 title? Same thing that's happened every other time a non-conference champ has played. No interest from fans other than those of the programs playing.

Fans are dumb, and with 24 hour sports reporting, and internet message boards, they're getting smarter and smarter, and it doesn't make sense to have a championship game between teams that aren't league champions, and then it doesn't make sense to have a championship game among league champions, unless you've got all the leagues represented.

How many people do you think would have watched these 11 games? (11 conference champs - plus Alabama at large for 12) - and watched an LSU/Alabama game if that's aht #15 turned out to be? Based on final polls position after regular season - seeding)

A committee to seed teams, would be much better at generating even more favorable matchups. I jsut did this based on the polls after week 13.

Weekend 1:
#12 Alabama v. #5 Oregon
#11 Arkansas St v. #6 Mich St
#10 Louisiana Tech v. #7 TCU
#9 N. Illinois v. #8 West Virginia

Weekend 2:
Ala/Ore winner v. #2 Okl St
ArkST/MSU winner v. #4 Houston
LTech/TCU winner v. #3 Virginia Tech
N. Illinos/WVU winner v. #1 LSU

Weekend 3:
Ala/Ore v. Okl st winner vs. Houston v ArkSt/MSU winner
Ltech/TCU v Vtech winner vs. N.Illinois/WVU v. LSU winner

Weekend 4:
National championship game.

LSU v. Alabama championship game after new years day - after this? Probably would have been the most watched college football game ever.

Reaction Score
The chances of that occurring are nil. There would be huge antitrust issues and the minute any tv contract was signed, the lawsuits would fly assuming the Congress and DOJ don't get there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom