OT: - Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the pre game introduction pat down was something they did all year. That’s fine and doesn’t bother me.

But, how in the hell do the coaches, the AD and the university not recognize that this routine needed to cease immediately due to the circumstances of the crime ? They all new this was a game routine and was going to happen.

If they say they weren’t thinking about it then that just tells me how out of tune they are or they just don’t care.

Reaction Score
I've got to hand it to Miller though, even if he truly didn't know about the gun, scoring 40 first game after being involved in a murder is some true ice water in one's veins.

Reaction Score
So the pre game introduction pat down was something they did all year. That’s fine and doesn’t bother me.

But, how in the hell do the coaches, the AD and the university not recognize that this routine needed to cease immediately due to the circumstances of the crime ? They all new this was a game routine and was going to happen.

If they say they weren’t thinking about it then that just tells me how out of tune they are or they just don’t care.
Yes and how in the hell did Brandon Miller not recognize that doing a pat down in light of him bringing a gun to the scene in which that gun was used to kill a young mother is wildly out of line? Maybe he just doesn't care about any of this and didn't want to change up his pregame routine.

Reaction Score
Didn't say move on from the murder. Oats should be fired and Miller should be kicked off the team. The outrage over the pre-game intro is just distracting from the actual crime.

The fact that the pre-game intro actually occurred after the heinous crime, that Miller was involved in the crime, and that Miller was allowed to play in the team’s next game shows that the University of Alabama has no respect for life or the law. As such, the University should be reprimanded at a high degree.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes and how in the hell did Brandon Miller not recognize that doing a pat down in light of him bringing a gun to the scene in which that gun was used to kill a young mother is wildly out of line? Maybe he just doesn't care about any of this and didn't want to change up his pregame routine.
Well if what his lawyer says is accurate, he never touched the gun, didn’t know about and may not have even made the connection. Oats needed to stop it, but I get why the kids may not have thought it through.

Reaction Score
The only thing I can rationalize is that they thought breaking routine would be admission of guilt? Perhaps a terrible PR decision. I just can't even comprehend it being an oversight. Even the walk-on shoulda been like, "Wait a second....." Its almost comical (if not terribly tragic).

Reaction Score
Well if what his lawyer says is accurate, he never touched the gun, didn’t know about and may not have even made the connection. Oats needed to stop it, but I get why the kids may not have thought it through.
This is making an excuse for a 20 year old, he's not a 6 year old kid.

Reaction Score
So much insensitivity by so many people on this (including some posters on this board). I wonder how many of these people would say these sorts of things when looking into the eyes of the deceased woman's next of kin???

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is making an excuse for a 20 year old, he's not a 6 year old kid.
I don’t believe he asked for or instigated the pat down, his teammates did. Seems the lack of awareness was pretty extensive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he read the text or was told to bring the loaded gun at 1:30 in the morning it's not at all reasonable to think he didn't know something was going down.

We need to stop making excuses for terrible behavior. He's not a little kid, he's 20 years old.

I have no idea what neighborhood he grew up in but I know if he was from a tough neighborhood he made it out of there because of his basketball gifts. He's not in a tough neighborhood now, he's a college student at a major American state University with all the advantages in the world and 10's of millions of dollars awaiting him.

I'm not making excuses, I didn't argue that what he did was smart.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

This is a statement from Miller's lawyer. It clearly lays out what, at the very least, their story is. He also claims that Miller was not blocking the victim's car from the road and that he actually parked his car first, and then the victim pulled up on his car. He also says that is clearly shown on surveillance video.

If that last sentence is true, then I understand why Alabama isn't suspending him. Not to defend Miller, because I wouldn't be surprised if he knew more than what his attorney is letting on, but how can you kick him off the team if it's reasonable to believe he didn't know? It's pretty common for kids that grew up in tough neighborhoods to carry around a gun for protection, so even if he knew he was bringing Miles his gun it's reasonable to think it was just for protection.

There's no way of knowing for sure how much he knew that night, so for that reason I get why he's still on the team. That said, if I were an NBA team I would hire a handful of the best PIs I could get to look into his history, because I would be very leery about drafting him.

All very nicely packaged by his attorney but eventually a jury will decide

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
All very nicely packaged by his attorney but eventually a jury will decide
As one of the attorneys!!! One of those dopes better get in that young man’s ear and tell him to show some just a little remorse and the little pat down isn’t that

Reaction Score

This is a statement from Miller's lawyer. It clearly lays out what, at the very least, their story is. He also claims that Miller was not blocking the victim's car from the road and that he actually parked his car first, and then the victim pulled up on his car. He also says that is clearly shown on surveillance video.

If that last sentence is true, then I understand why Alabama isn't suspending him. Not to defend Miller, because I wouldn't be surprised if he knew more than what his attorney is letting on, but how can you kick him off the team if it's reasonable to believe he didn't know? It's pretty common for kids that grew up in tough neighborhoods to carry around a gun for protection, so even if he knew he was bringing Miles his gun it's reasonable to think it was just for protection.

There's no way of knowing for sure how much he knew that night, so for that reason I get why he's still on the team. That said, if I were an NBA team I would hire a handful of the best PIs I could get to look into his history, because I would be very leery about drafting him.

I don’t know about anyone else but I read that statement from his lawyer and my conclusion is he 100% knew something was gonna go down. That sounds way too much like “thou doth protest too much” for me.

Reaction Score
Starting on January 1, 2023, Alabama will no longer require a permit to carry a concealed handgun on one's person or in a vehicle, which will make the state a permitless or constitutional carry state. Individuals who are not prohibited from possessing a handgun can open or conceal carry without a permit in unrestricted public areas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't want Oats to get fired. Syracuse would hire him in a second.

Reaction Score
Quite to the contrary, it appears there is a text from Miles to Miller asking that Miller bring Miles his gun because there was a confrontation beginning to develope.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The NFL ditched Chris Carter as part of their rookie symposium when Carter discussed the need for a fall guy within the group.

BTW, Carter wasn't wrong. Everyone will take the heat to keep Miller clean and give him all the alibis he needs to not get charged. And, in 6 months, those decisions will be rewarded financially.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Quite to the contrary, it appears there is a text from Miles to Miller asking that Miller bring Miles his gun because there was a confrontation beginning to develope.
Yes, and the lawyer says Miller was already on the way over to pick him up and didn’t see the text. Didn’t know Miles left a gun in the backseat. Who knows? I don’t know. You don’t know. Nobody has released all the video footage. All I could find is a doorbell cam with just audio. But none of that relates to connecting the pat down to this incident, since they started doing it before this happened.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
They've done it all year...many teams do it. It was a boneheaded, cringey error from the walk-on and Miller. There's nothing to see here. This mistake is harmless compared to the last one.

If it was our playerd I'd say the same thing "oof, not so bright man." And move on.

The level of outrage I'm seeing over this online is out of line. Stupid mistake. Move on.
Hey!!

pj

Reaction Score

Yes, and what if he just courteously wanted to reassure the opposing team that he hadn't brought his loaded gun to the basketball court?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Didn’t miller them block in the woman so she could more assuredly be killed? What do you think about that aspect of what happened?

And we are talking about bringing a murder device to a murder. Not a car to a robbery.

Good lawyering though lol

Not using rumors and unverified facts is part of good lawyering. “Didn’t this happen? I’m not sure, but I have a definite opinion”
No need to get pissy, bud

You attack him on something you know nothing about, then say he doesn’t need to get pissy because he answered your crap.

Reaction Score
Not using rumors and unverified facts is part of good lawyering. “Didn’t this happen? I’m not sure, but I have a definite opinion”

You attack him on something you know nothing about, then say he doesn’t need to get pissy because he answered your crap.

My wife teaches 2 law school classes and a bunch of undergrad philosophy and pre-law classes that are all based around critical thinking about the law. Like her intro ethics course is all about the law and how ethical/unethical it is, how it compares to historical thinkers, blah blah blah.

She is insistent that some people--even smart people--genuinely don't have the cognitive capability to grasp legal thinking. Taking your emotion and opinion out of things and simply going by-the-book is something some folks just don't get. I wonder if that's what's going on here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My wife teaches 2 law school classes and a bunch of undergrad philosophy and pre-law classes that are all based around critical thinking about the law. Like her intro ethics course is all about the law and how ethical/unethical it is, how it compares to historical thinkers, blah blah blah.

She is insistent that some people--even smart people--genuinely don't have the cognitive capability to grasp legal thinking. Taking your emotion and opinion out of things and simply going by-the-book is something some folks just don't get. I wonder if that's what's going on here.
It is. It's a common mistake. The law is really not about coming up with the right outcome, especially appellate cases. The process matters more than the result, even if you hate the result.

Reaction Score
Do I think Miller brought him his gun intentionally, yes.

That being said, you can’t take your gun into a club. I take my gun, hat, etc & leave it in the car of my ride cause I can’t bring them inside the club. My ride doesn’t come in & leaves & when I leave the club I ask him to bring my stuff back. Not an impossible situation to imagine.

Gun “culture” in the south is a little wild and hard to understand, but it definitely exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom